• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Is it is a good thing there was only one season of Firefly?

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Do you think that the fact that there are so few episodes of Firefly is a good or bad thing? Did that keep the quality high, because it didn't have time to decline? Did it contribute to its "cult status" and thus make it spread more by word of mouth?

fauxindigo
fauxindigo
you hit the nail on the head. People always want more, esp after only 1 great season. No time to decline & cult status.

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
My answer is in the minority... what else is new, but yes. Firefly sucked. There were only one or two good episodes. When we did the Buffy-Boards rewatch back whenever I noticed how bad the episodes really were. There were a lot of issues with that show and me.

D
Dora
I am with you thought it complete rubbish

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
To clarify, I meant, good for the show, not good in that it was a bad show and no one wanted to see more of it.

:)
Yes, it was good for the show. As if the show continued I think people would have soured on it and lost its mystique. Right now it's almost as if it's venerated because it wasn't 'allowed' to continue. It is the proverbial underdog TV show. Had so much hope and promise which was never fulfilled. If the show continued it wouldn't be as highly regarded because much of it's high regard is the fact it was canceled. When people speak of Firefly they mention the fact it was canceled "too soon" before anything else.

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
I absolutely think it helped the show to get this "cult" status.
It had a small but dedicated audience. If they had got their two, three season and decent ending the show would've dissapeared quitley.

Now with the sudden ending and general bad treatment they had a reason to start this uproar that basically made the show well known.
It would never had worked if the show wasn't actually considered good by so many though. And the few epsiodes obviously helps keping that high standard.

Personally I would also take more seasons, some stinker episodes among a larger amount of episodes and less cult status any day...

/SK

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
I seen a bit online about the Inara stuff Joss wanted to write into the show. That alone makes me happy there is only one season. I guess showing a friend or whoever Firefly would be a good way to introduce them to Whedon's work as there is only one season, too.

Spanky
Spanky
I know!! That's what I meant. The arc was not female friendly. Was better it was canceled and then had a movie.
EarthLogic
EarthLogic
Yeah I shudder to think what might've been done with that arc had they not been cancelled! #stopwiththerapeplots

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Well, of course the first season was going to have a lot of bad episodes. All the modern Trek series did, and Firefly was a lot better than any modern Trek series first season. Buffy had a pretty bad first season, and I'm sure if Firefly had made it to season seven, a lot of the early episodes would be largely forgettable, but, it never had that chance. I think it was a series worthy of a fair shake, and at the very least, should have gotten a proper second season.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
Well, of course the first season was going to have a lot of bad episodes. All the modern Trek series did, and Firefly was a lot better than any modern Trek series first season. Buffy had a pretty bad first season, and I'm sure if Firefly had made it to season seven, a lot of the early episodes would be largely forgettable, but, it never had that chance. I think it was a series worthy of a fair shake, and at the very least, should have gotten a proper second season.
I'll disagree on Buffy had a bad season one . I love Buffy season one. And I don't think Firefly had a bad series.
It had some not so great episode but it really did get its stride towards the end.
I think it deserved a second shot 110%

D
Dora
Buffy had one bad season and one season that was not Buffy

Alittlegrim

Stuck In The Middle
I hate to say it but probably. I have seen too many shows go on to long and get really poor. Not even running all of the produced episodes is pretty extreme but in the long-run what it has, a full season on DVD and a feature film, encompasses things pretty well. I think this is one of Whedon's gifts. I would have liked to see a second season, which we basically got with Serenity, the script being based on concepts Whedon had for season 2, maybe even a third but not much more than that. It is like they say in the theater. Always leave them wanting more.

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
I think Firefly had potential for about 3 good seasons, but after that I suspect there definitely would have been a decline in quality. Of course with the ME team's talent I'd never write them off completely but it's just my gut feeling.

Alittlegrim
Alittlegrim
[No message]

Evil Seal

Some serious serial series seeing going on...
I am sorry it ended early, but it ended OK. I kinda wish there'd been no Serenity. In my show, Wash is alive and so is Book.
Objects In Space is my favourite but I desperately needed some sort of closure after finishing the season. I'm glad there was a movie to tie things off a bit (and to show us the full potential of River)

Mr Trick

Scooby
Think anything which is of any high standard and has multiple characters has room for more than one season. Without knowing what would have happened after season 1 its difficult to say for sure. But it seems to me to be a show that could have had more than just the one.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I really wanted more Firefly seasons before I saw 'Serenity', now I'm content with what we got. I found Serenity very entertaining but almost entirely devoid of surprise (apart from character deaths...)
I don't read the comics or really invest the the world Firefly created.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I really wanted more Firefly seasons before I saw 'Serenity', now I'm content with what we got. I found Serenity very entertaining but almost entirely devoid of surprise (apart from character deaths...)
I don't read the comics or really invest the the world Firefly created.
That might have been because Serenity was used to tie everything together and give the fans the ending they missed from the series. Like a proper series finale it was more of a pay-off to what had come before than something that was going to break new ground. Finale's very rarely have too many surprises. It's more how you reach the end point, than what the end point is.

Top Bottom