• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Is it time to kill Buffy and Faith

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
I have been thinking of a reboot of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I do not see new actors to play Buffy and Faith and the rest of the old cast members. It would be like the reboot of Charm that did not do so well. I think a show dealing with a group of female slayers could work. Still, like everything, when you have strong female charactors you only have a few women, not a collection of women. It can be done with men, but it has never picked up well with women. Whatever with the new series, I do not see Buffy and Faith coming around and pop in and out will do anything good. My feeling, it is best that they were killed together in some way. Even if they killed each other, but I do not see that as being positive.

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
Doesn’t sound like a good idea tbh. I’d rather a complete reboot of BtVS.
Both Sarah and Eliza are in middle age, and seeing each other playing Buffy and Faith dealing with a flood of younger slayers could work. My feeling, the fans would be pushing the two to fight again and again. And with a grouping of slayers being in the thousands, I do not see it being a positive seeing the oldest slayers always needing to fight each other. Is it really positive, if your a slayer, your should fight your own.

So if there is a reboot of Slayers in the 2020's, you have a choice. Have Buffy and Faith being dead or watch slayers turn on each other and fight each other.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
Or watch them fight another enemy. 'Course betrayal would be in there somewhere, but I'm not sure where you get your impressions from since it looks different to me.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
Yeah I think out of respect they should kill all of the original characters as I think it’s been too long for the original actors to return. They should follow new characters in the Buffyverse instead.

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
Yeah I think out of respect they should kill all of the original characters as I think it’s been too long for the original actors to return. They should follow new characters in the Buffyverse instead.
I have to agree with you. If I was going to write a cannon story about the ending of Buffy and Faith. I would have then fight again and they killed each other. They were creamated and they rest next to each other in a cremation nitch

Athene
Athene
I don’t want them to kill each other 😂

Tank1978

Scooby
They could sidestep the whole issue by setting it in an alternative dimension. The dimension could be very similar to Buffys one but to keep it canon and so the fans know it's a different world there could be a few subtle clues, for example a seafood bar that had no shrimp on the menu.... could be cool if they set it in the world without shrimp! There could be the odd mention of a mythological slayer from another dimension, like the slayer who couldn't be killed or of a slayer who loved vamps

one eyed chicklet
one eyed chicklet
I love that idea!
Ethan Reigns
Ethan Reigns
Put it in Pylea and have Numfar do the dance of the slayer battles.

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
If the slayers being Buffy and Faith do not end up killing each other. Then, it begs the question in how they were killed. With the series ending up with a boatload of new slayers, breaking the rule of one slayer or the rule of having two slayers forever. With any large group of people, and even with a large group of all being females -- over time there would be tribalism happening the splits the slayers into different warlike camps that end up in conflict. There could be a few camps, maybe for debate sake, three camps. Two camps that cannot stand each other and one camp trying to keep the peace and being in the middle. It is rational to say a group of 10 or more slayers confronted Buffy and Faith and being out numbered they were killed in mortal combat with other slayers.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I never saw why Faith gets to have a happy ending. As the living end of a slayer line that's supposed to go dormant until the time of Fray, I would either give her a heroic sacrifice, or send her to Avalone, where she can rest until needed.

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
For me if it's going to be a reboot then let it be a reboot, a clean slate a new Buffy, no Faith as that was part of the OG story, so there's no need to kill anyone off.
i do not see that happening. It was accepted to recast Buffy from the movie to the TV show. I do not see a 3rd Buffy in a new series dealing with high school issues will play well in today's society. It has been a number of years with any major movie was designed about teenage life with a movie or with TV. And it would be Josh going over the same ground he did with the first series. With any matrix, it is going to be a hard sell to green light a new series.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I don't see the reboot ever happening, doesn't mean I wouldn't like it to though. Having a new Buffy for a new generation is a simple way for rebooting a show, they can come up with new stories, new lore and everything else, without having to reference the old movie or series at all.

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
I don't see the reboot ever happening, doesn't mean I wouldn't like it to though. Having a new Buffy for a new generation is a simple way for rebooting a show, they can come up with new stories, new lore and everything else, without having to reference the old movie or series at all.
My personal feeling, it was the Twilight Saga that killed off the branding of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The books became a long winded 1000 page books, and the comics were interesting to a much younger group of girls. With the Twilight Saga, the vampires became a more complex set of characters. Kristen Stewart was having two boyfriends at the same time. She was dating a vampire and a man that turns into a woof. She ended in a trapped relationship with a vampire, if you leave me I will be suicidal. And if he was to leave her, he would be suicidal as well. Then she gets married and had a baby that grew up really fast.

With the mother daughter relationship was really strange. Her daughter was dating her ex-boyfriend at birth. When I was looking at her daughter on top of the woof, I was thinking. She must have been thinking, some day I will be talking to my boyfriends ex-girlfriend, and that woman is my mother. Second, when she was on top of the woof, I wanted to make a picture that said "I wanted a pony"

Twilight Saga killed any rebooting of Buffy the Vampire Slayer

white avenger

white avenger
There's no need to either kill off the original characters or have them located in some parallel dimension. Simply don't show them in the new series. Simply refer to them as being at some Slayer Headquarters, or not mention them at all. The show would be focused on a new team in a new location fighting a whole new group of demons and vampires. Let the fans draw their own conclusuions about what happened to Buffy, Willow, Spike, and all the rest.

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
There's no need to either kill off the original characters or have them located in some parallel dimension. Simply don't show them in the new series. Simply refer to them as being at some Slayer Headquarters, or not mention them at all. The show would be focused on a new team in a new location fighting a whole new group of demons and vampires. Let the fans draw their own conclusuions about what happened to Buffy, Willow, Spike, and all the rest.
I understand your point with a new series with new slayers and a cast of backup characters. Still, the fans would be asking for some new cannon dealing with the old series. True, there are so many characters, you cannot kill all of them. If we cannot ask were they are, the fans would leave and never come back.

white avenger

white avenger
I understand your point with a new series with new slayers and a cast of backup characters. Still, the fans would be asking for some new cannon dealing with the old series. True, there are so many characters, you cannot kill all of them. If we cannot ask were they are, the fans would leave and never come back.
The fans didn't leave "Star Trek: The Next Generation." Granted, it was assumed that the majority of the original series cast would be dead by then, (although Dr McCoy, Scottie, and Spock did at various times make cameos on the show, and were referred to several other times) "Next Generation" was Picard, Ryker, and Data's show. Everyone accepted that, and there were few, if any, complaints about it.

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
The fans didn't leave "Star Trek: The Next Generation." Granted, it was assumed that the majority of the original series cast would be dead by then, (although Dr McCoy, Scottie, and Spock did at various times make cameos on the show, and were referred to several other times) "Next Generation" was Picard, Ryker, and Data's show. Everyone accepted that, and there were few, if any, complaints about it.
There is a difference going 80 years into the future and there is a difference going less than 20 years. People would be asking questions.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
If it's clear from the beginning that the reboot isn't about the og characters, then why would people complain? They might not watch if they wanted a continuation, but if the new show is promoted right then no one watching would expect to see the old characters.

Off topic: Twilight and Buffy are not alike, they are similar in their target audience, but both have different morals.

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
I'll chime in with the chorus and say that I see no reason for killing anyone just to exclude them from the story. It's not their story, that's enough. Whether dead or alive they are likely to be mentioned so they can just as well be mentioned in the capacity of fighting demons somewhere else, as being mentioned as dead. If anything, killing them off will only make fans more interested in the old characters, because you want to know what their final battle was like and why they lost it, whether together or apart. So, saying "hey, Buffy's in Cleveland/Rome/Uzbekistan" is a better bet to get her out of the way of the story, than "hey, Buffy is dead. Bye."

I can't say I've seen anything, judging by the comics, that indicates that fans would want Buffy and Faith to fight again, if they did pop in for cameos in the new show. People seem kind of over Buffy/Faith drama actually.

white avenger

white avenger
Something else to consider here is that, as much as we love Buffy and all the other members of her universe, we are a relative minority among the potential fan base of a new show. A series titled "Mary The Vampire Slayer" or simply "The Vampire Slayer" would no doubt have to stand on its own merits by appealing primarily to new viewers as well as fans of the previous series, many of whom won't even remember the shows with as much fondness as we here do.

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
Just a thought, if there is going to be a slayer movie. It could be like the Hunger Games, we start out with 24 slayers until we end up with one.

Octavia
Octavia
You might like "The 100". They have a conclave like that to choose their leader.
Top Bottom