• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Is it time to kill Buffy and Faith

Taake

I can kill you with my brain
Staff member
Black Thorn
Why are you so focused on the idea of killing Slayers?

LeeJones41

Potential
I see nothing wrong with doing a reboot with new characters.

It would be like the reboot of Charm that did not do so well.
The reboot of "Charmed" has been renewed for a second season. Apparently, it is doing well.

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
I see nothing wrong with doing a reboot with new characters.
The problem with new characters is the fact that there are a vast number of slayers. Therefore, we have to talk about the interactions with slayers. The problem with that, Kendra was a slayer and she was only on Buffy the Vampire Slayer for only 3 episodes and Faith was only on Buffy the Vampire Slayer for only 20 episodes. Buffy and Kendra had one fight and I really stopped counting how many fights Buffy and Faith had. When Buffy was with another slayer and they were the only characters -- the majority of the time Buffy had a hostile viewpoint of the other slayer. With that as a fact, the fans debate the conflicts that slayers have with each other.

If there is new characters, you would need a group of slayers. if we use the model with slayers interaction with each other in Buffy the Vampire Slayer: the slayers would be hostile with each other and they would be fighting each other. I do not see seeing a group of women slayers being hostile of each other and from time to time fighting each other would be thought of as a positive role model for women.

nightshade

Headless chicken
Staff member
Black Thorn
Surely that's a continuation, not a reboot. A reboot would go back to one slayer

NeddaSai

Potential
if we use the model with slayers interaction with each other in Buffy the Vampire Slayer: the slayers would be hostile with each other and they would be fighting each other. I do not see seeing a group of women slayers being hostile of each other and from time to time fighting each other would be thought of as a positive role model for women.
I see no need to model the new slayers' behaviors/relationships on Buffy/Faith. The slayer dynamic is not set in stone. Create new dynamics.

The fact that more girls are slayers now actually benefits the dynamic as there wouldn't be any of the "I should be the only one" mentality the previous slayers had.

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
I see no need to model the new slayers' behaviors/relationships on Buffy/Faith. The slayer dynamic is not set in stone. Create new dynamics.

The fact that more girls are slayers now actually benefits the dynamic as there wouldn't be any of the "I should be the only one" mentality the previous slayers had.
Hollywood has not been that supportive with strong female characters. Because, in most times it is a single woman that takes that title. Very few times do you have two. If you have a group of slayers, you really have to have more than two. In my judgement, you need a team with around 6 to 10 female characters being slayers. Seeing Hollywood, they are never going to do that.

NeddaSai

Potential
Hollywood has not been that supportive with strong female characters. Because, in most times it is a single woman that takes that title. Very few times do you have two. If you have a group of slayers, you really have to have more than two. In my judgement, you need a team with around 6 to 10 female characters being slayers. Seeing Hollywood, they are never going to do that.
My argument is not whether Hollywood would or wouldn't make it. It's that the new slayers don't need to model Buffy/Faith. Even if it's only two this time it shouldn't matter, slayer mentality is different, they don't think of themselves as the chosen "one", which was a big issue with the Buffy/Faith relationship and arguably what created the tension in that relationship. it wouldn't make sense to add that to the new slayers' dynamic.

Last edited:

Dora

Scooby
My perception was that any new Buffy was starting over again at high school and ignoring the original?
As for fan fiction plenty out there what happened later and I guess in the comics , the old Faith and Buffy I feel neither settle down , Faith with her latest Boy Toy , and I am with SMG on this one and hope Buffy now spends a lot of her time on a beach somewhere , soaking up the sun

nightshade

Headless chicken
Staff member
Black Thorn
My perception was that any new Buffy was starting over again at high school and ignoring the original?
That's what I would have thought too. Otherwise it's a continuation, not a reboot?

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I *think* the idea that it might be a continuation comes from this quote by Monica Owusu-Breen:

"There is only one Buffy. One Xander, one Willow, Giles, Cordelia, Oz, Tara, Kendra, Faith, Spike, Angel … They can't be replaced. Joss Whedon's brilliant and beautiful series can't be replicated. I wouldn't try to. But here we are, 20 years later … and the world seems a lot scarier. So maybe, it could be time to meet a new Slayer … And that's all I can say."

But I think initially it was branded a reboot, and I'm still not confident that they wouldn't take it back to high school with a new Buffy.

nightshade

Headless chicken
Staff member
Black Thorn
I *think* the idea that it might be a continuation comes from this quote by Monica Owusu-Breen:

"There is only one Buffy. One Xander, one Willow, Giles, Cordelia, Oz, Tara, Kendra, Faith, Spike, Angel … They can't be replaced. Joss Whedon's brilliant and beautiful series can't be replicated. I wouldn't try to. But here we are, 20 years later … and the world seems a lot scarier. So maybe, it could be time to meet a new Slayer … And that's all I can say."

But I think initially it was branded a reboot, and I'm still not confident that they wouldn't take it back to high school with a new Buffy.
Maybe I read that differently to others but to me that means they're going for a whole new Scooby gang, new people, new stories, but set now instead of the 90/00s. It doesn't mean that what happened before eg the Slayer spell has any relevance to this new show.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I agree with you, I'm just saying that I think that's why some people think it's not a reboot. Honestly, I don't think a continuation would work because it would be a harder sell to new viewers.

:)

LeeJones41

Potential
Perhaps they'll do what the CW has done to "Charmed" . . . new characters, new cast, new location and similar premise.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
No reason to 'kill' either of them off as far as I can see; they can just retire to the Med and let other empowered slayers to most of the work. Just call the new show 'Slayers' or 'The Chosen Few' or 'Slay Squad' or something.

She was dating a vampire and a man that turns into a woof.
This makes Twilight seem 100% more entertaining than it actually was. 'My boyfriend turns into a woof!'

DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
That made me laugh more than it should "My boyfriend turns into a woof" lol

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
No reason to 'kill' either of them off as far as I can see; they can just retire to the Med and let other empowered slayers to most of the work. Just call the new show 'Slayers' or 'The Chosen Few' or 'Slay Squad' or something.

This makes Twilight seem 100% more entertaining than it actually was. 'My boyfriend turns into a woof!'
Maybe the reason why there was only one slayer, because it is in the nature of slayers to fight and destroy each other. Can two slayers work together without turning on each other? With empowered slayers, always had a feeling it would turn into a Hunger Game.

Top Bottom