• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Is SHIELD Really a Joss Whedon Project?

The Ferg

Scooby
I'm just wondering if you guys view Agents of SHIELD as a part of Whedon's oeuvre? I really don't think it should be in the same category as his other four shows, but everywhere I check lists him as a creator and executive producer. How much involvement does he actually have in this show? I really love Season 1 but I haven't been too impressed with what's come after.

Bluebird
Bluebird
Hey! It's good to see you around again :)

white avenger

white avenger
I don't think that Joss actually has a whole lot of input into the series anymore, but it is basically a spinoff of his "Avengers" movie, so I'm sure that he was involved in its being developed as a series. Placing his name on it just adds some extra fan appeal to the show.

The Ferg

Scooby
I don't think that Joss actually has a whole lot of input into the series anymore, but it is basically a spinoff of his "Avengers" movie, so I'm sure that he was involved in its being developed as a series. Placing his name on it just adds some extra fan appeal to the show.
Yea, I was always under the impression that he directed and wrote the pilot, helped create the characters (at least May, Fitz, Simmons, Daisy, and Ward), and sort of oversaw the meta-arc of Season 1. I wish there were some concrete info on exactly what his role is.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
No, I don't count it with his other shows. His brother Jed and Jed's wife are the show runners. I don't think Joss has really been involved since the pilot. But it was matketed marketed as his show because of his name, coming off of the first Avengers movie. I enjoyed season 1, and then I gave up half way through season 2 and refuse to watch it now. Whereas, I love (or at least like) Joss' actual four shows.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Here's the thing, I watch an episode of A.o.S and I'm more or less happy with it by the end; the Plot's okay, the acting is pretty good and a lot of the characters are entertaining.

And the then the Mutant Enemy logo pops up and I suddenly feel oddly disappointed with what I just saw. I think 'That should've been better. The dialogue should've been sharper, more witty, there should've been angst or metaphor or a really decent twist...'
(It's got nothing to do with Thor or Iron Man not turning up every other week)

So no, A.o.S isn't a Joss show- not really- it's just a slightly above average genre show.

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
Joss had a lot to do with creating the show, so in that sense it's a Joss Whedon show. And I would guess that with his brother and sister-in-law as showrunners he still has some informal input from time to time. But I don't think he's had any real connection with the show since he left Marvel, and maybe not since the pilot.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
I don't see as such, no. He gets to take the big bucks credit, since he's Joss Whedon and his name sells, but really he's just loosely connected now. I don't think he wants much to do with Marvel now, and I can't blame him. Why bother hiring guys like Joss Whedon and Edgar Wright only to force them into a creative black hole. Defeats the purpose of why people go see a movie with their name attached. I hate mass marketed studio nonsense. Sticking someone's name on something to sell it, making *standard superhero movie with giant laser in sky*, when people have went to it expecting a Whedon or Wright movie, is good money making. It's like scraping back your money from a godawful movie by making a misleading but entertaining trailer. But it's just a trick.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I watched the first episode and gave up after that. There was nothing there that I had not seen before. Compared to the brilliant two-part intro to Firefly, this was as formulaic as it gets. Joss Whedon is a hot name in superhero movies, so the name sells, but the performances and writing were the equivalent of sliced cheese or white bread - it bore some resemblance to the real thing but fell short.

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
I'm still halfway through the Third series & I must admit I'm finding it harder to drum up the enthusiasm to keep watching....Keep finding other things to watch instead....
Shame, because I like a lot of the characters......I just find it hard to keep an interest in the story arc.......

Fuffy Baith

Sineya
I'm still halfway through the Third series & I must admit I'm finding it harder to drum up the enthusiasm to keep watching....Keep finding other things to watch instead....
Shame, because I like a lot of the characters......I just find it hard to keep an interest in the story arc.......
Yes, join us and just give up. If the ratings drop enough they will cancel the show. Or I hope they do. I gave up on Once Upon A Time finally, it was hard, but I cannot support it. Some shows just need to be cancelled, and bring back Agent Carter instead!

Last Watcher
Last Watcher
Hah! Maybe I should.....I liked Agent Carter too :(

Fuffy Baith

Sineya
You could go even further & say Daisy was Buffy, May was Faith, Ward was Angel, Coulson was Giles.......there are a lot of similarities in the characters if you look hard enough :)
Daisy wishes she was Buffy! I didn't like her ever since she was Sky. May is only like Faith in the sense that she's a badass. I don't really see many similarities. Actually, I'd say she was more like Angel. Grant is more like Faith in the sense that he was on the team and then turned out to be evil. Other then Fitz Simmons and May, I don't really like any of the characters, including the new team at the beginning of season 2. I don't know what new characters are on the show. I saw an episode of season 3 and thought it was terrible. Maybe someday I'll try to watch the rest of the show. But I doubt it.

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
I was being a bit vague there I guess....but I was just trying to point out that the characters are all typical Whedon types...they may be exact copies, but all the parts are there

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
I gave up early in Season 2. Season 1 was a struggle but the home stretch was quite entertaining. I get the feeling Joss isn't involved or if he is then he's properly half assing it.

The Ferg

Scooby
Why bother hiring guys like Joss Whedon and Edgar Wright only to force them into a creative black hole. Defeats the purpose of why people go see a movie with their name attached. I hate mass marketed studio nonsense. Sticking someone's name on something to sell it, making *standard superhero movie with giant laser in sky*, when people have went to it expecting a Whedon or Wright movie, is good money making. It's like scraping back your money from a godawful movie by making a misleading but entertaining trailer. But it's just a trick.
I partially disagree with that. Connected universes are a tricky thing to do. It honestly takes just about as much creativity on the producer's side of thing as the writer or even director. I was upset when Marvel decided to go their own way with Ant-Man, instead of trusting Edgar Wright, and letting him do his own thing, but at the end of the day Marvel has a vision for it's universe, as a whole, and that means that they get to make some of the creative decisions. Sometimes this can turn out badly, like when there was clear studio meddling in Age of Ultron. Whedon had a vision, and unfortunately it didn't fully match up with Marvel's. However, sometimes this can turn out beautifully, and that's how we got the first Avengers: a perfect melding of studio and director. It's very clearly a Marvel movie, but you can see the Whedon shining through and making the story his own. He did the same thing in his Astonishing X-Men run to critically-lauded results.
Obviously I prefer it when Whedon has complete control over his work, but there's something beautiful and awe-inspring about a shared universe that works. When it works correctly you can get a massive, interconnected story with dozens (or more) different, and equally engaging, perspectives. This is best exemplified with Captain America: Civil War. It wouldn't have been near the same experience without seeing the Avengers work together in past movies. When it doesn't work, you get movies like Batman v. Superman. I don't think I need to go into detail about how and why the DC cinematic universe is in shambles right now, especially compared to Marvel. In my opinion, Marvel's doing it right, so if that means a little studio interference is necessary, than I'm all for it.

Sorry if that was repetitive at all... I really need to go to bed.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
I partially disagree with that. Connected universes are a tricky thing to do. It honestly takes just about as much creativity on the producer's side of thing as the writer or even director. I was upset when Marvel decided to go their own way with Ant-Man, instead of trusting Edgar Wright, and letting him do his own thing, but at the end of the day Marvel has a vision for it's universe, as a whole, and that means that they get to make some of the creative decisions. Sometimes this can turn out badly, like when there was clear studio meddling in Age of Ultron. Whedon had a vision, and unfortunately it didn't fully match up with Marvel's. However, sometimes this can turn out beautifully, and that's how we got the first Avengers: a perfect melding of studio and director. It's very clearly a Marvel movie, but you can see the Whedon shining through and making the story his own. He did the same thing in his Astonishing X-Men run to critically-lauded results.
Obviously I prefer it when Whedon has complete control over his work, but there's something beautiful and awe-inspring about a shared universe that works. When it works correctly you can get a massive, interconnected story with dozens (or more) different, and equally engaging, perspectives. This is best exemplified with Captain America: Civil War. It wouldn't have been near the same experience without seeing the Avengers work together in past movies. When it doesn't work, you get movies like Batman v. Superman. I don't think I need to go into detail about how and why the DC cinematic universe is in shambles right now, especially compared to Marvel. In my opinion, Marvel's doing it right, so if that means a little studio interference is necessary, than I'm all for it.

Sorry if that was repetitive at all... I really need to go to bed.
I understand what you're saying. I do enjoy quite a few Marvel movies, so I don't want to bash them or their vision for the MCU, it's just the studio system and its sometimes backwards way of doing business. There are plenty of directors who can and will work under creative restrictions, but Wright definitely isn't one of them. It's like they didn't know anything about the guy before hiring. I could have predicted that clash. :p I think Marvel is on to a winner with the Russos though. I've been a fan of theirs for a long time.

I actually like AoS quite a bit, if I take it with a pinch of salt. It's a fun romp but nothing much more than that.

The Ferg

Scooby
I understand what you're saying. I do enjoy quite a few Marvel movies, so I don't want to bash them or their vision for the MCU, it's just the studio system and its sometimes backwards way of doing business. There are plenty of directors who can and will work under creative restrictions, but Wright definitely isn't one of them. It's like they didn't know anything about the guy before hiring. I could have predicted that clash. :p I think Marvel is on to a winner with the Russos though. I've been a fan of theirs for a long time.

I actually like AoS quite a bit, if I take it with a pinch of salt. It's a fun romp but nothing much more than that.
Totally agree. I just think that major studios like Marvel have to find a balance between the dirctor's creativity and consistency across multiple movies/franchises, or else they won't continue to grow. Fortunately, Marvel kind of gets it. Whereas DC on the other hand... Well they just don't. I still have hopes for Wonder Woman though!
EDIT: Holy s***, this was my 1000th post!

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I think it counts as a Jossverse show, made in his image, so to speak ;) Season 4 - 6 were significantly better than the first 3 for me. I really enjoyed the last season and would like to see it again without it being week to week. It was visually appealing to me and space stories are really my thing right now.

There was nothing there that I had not seen before
I think that is true for most sci fi shows. And very true for Agents of Shield. It's got a few of the ideas I liked on Buffy and Angel, the stories worked so they did similar again. I dont mind seeing them redone in a new world with a new cast. The characters are mostly likeable and a only a few have to be excellent to carry a show like this.

Fitzsimmons kinda remind me of Xander & Willow.
No way!! But now I see why you like them too :) I love the dynamic, they feed each other, its not unequal and each improves the other. I really enjoy them as a tv couple and I usually hate the soppy stuff (except when Jossverse does it.) I hope they end intact...

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
more in the 1st season
Top Bottom