• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Is that sequel series still on?

danzalthar

Townie
Hello cuties! OMG can't believe I took so long to pop up here after twelve years of Buffy the Vampire Slayer worship! Even Whedonesque is done at this point! Haha

So, what's new about that proposed sequel series (which the media spread all around wrongly, as a reboot) with a new Slayer and writer Monica Owusu-Breen helding? Is it still coming? Any negative impacts from Joss Whedon's recent scandals of bad behavior? And were you guys excited about it? There have been news of a show titled SLAY from Regina King ("Watchmen") about a boot-wearing girl fighting supernatural forces... I wondered if it's connected in some way...?

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
It looks like the idea is being floated but no studio exec seems interested. It costs nothing to name a showrunner but the real indication that the show might happen is if someone gets tapped to write an opening screenplay for a pilot episode because that means someone is ready to throw money at it. But so far, there has been no announcement. To be honest, a reboot or sequel of Buffy starring a black Buffy does not sound like anything I would be more than lukewarm about. If I was a studio exec, I wouldn't buy it - reboots and sequels of this type haven't done all that well and the woke, politically correct, all inclusive, box-ticking exercise would fall flat with most people.

I don't think the Joss Whedon "scandals" (if anyone would elucidate what he actually was supposed to have done) are any part of the problem. Not many people on the forum think anything will come of it or that it would be all that good even if some miracle happened and it actually got made. Of course, COVID-19 has put a lot of the industry in suspended animation for a while so we don't know for sure that the project is dead - it may just be on ice for a while.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Well, COVID-19 effectively put an ice age on the entertainment industry, so, it's possible it's still being worked on, but it's on such a back burner as to be frozen.

The Facts are, well, the initial announcements were made. Since then, every couple of months a cast member will be asked about it, say they haven't heard anything, but would be happy to make a cameo or guest star, usually. On occasion, a ragsheet internet publication will publish some sort of unfounded fan theory passing as news. Like Black Slayer will really be Dawn, who just found Superman's Race Changing machine used in Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane #106. (Ed. I know, I promised this would be the facts section, but I have to discuss sources) Or that the Comics are a rebuild of Buffy series designed to rework the series without the "problematic" elements, like Xander being a male, or Xander being white, or Xander not understanding that he's actually gay, or Xander not being killed by Vampires, you know, the type of thing that loses the kids. (Ed. Although, to be fair, the only Boom! Comic that still has any defenders is Willow. Although, i kind of wish it was called Buffy's Best Friend Who is Recently Gay, Willow; I Fight With Weapons.) So, basically, no creditable third party sources have said anything on the matter.

There have been no PR announcements, no announcement of network, financing or production company, or casting, the things you would associate with active pre-production. Variety, the Hollywood Newspaper of Record, has not published any information on the matter since July 26th, 2018. While it's possible it's really under the radar. The Showrunner's Twitter Posts mostly deal with old work and with politics. There is no reference to Buffy in her "About Me" section.

My opinion: This, like the Boom! Comic Line, was done to inflate the value of 20th Century Fox Properties during the Merger & Acquisition Audit. Instead of Buffy appearing in terms of just DVD sales, streaming fees and licensing agreement, it was now an active license with new and potential deals. The actual roadblock is a licensing issue. To Use Buffy, you have to pay off the Film Producers, you have to payoff Mutant Enemy, and you have to payoff the Television show producers, whereas, a Girl power YA Book production license is much cheaper to acquire, and doesn't come with baggage of a very emotionally invested and thus potentially very toxic fandom.

So, I'm inclined to say that production is currently dormant, and will maintain that stance until Monica Owusu Breen announces another job or some sort of announcement about pre-production is made. The former would persuade me that it's been canceled, the latter will persuade it it's back on. I could be wrong, but 30 months without anything is an awfully long time in Hollywood.

Synch
Synch
Owusu actually left Buffy reboot to ran Stumptown second season until the pandemic stopped production. A few days ago she sadly commented about that in a Twitch video with Felicia Day and Mo Tancharoen.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
@ Synch; Thank you. No Executive Producer. Either the series is dead, or very low priority.

Moggin

Tasty Townie
I agree with everyone above, and I obviously can't comment on its current status, but one thing Covid does seem to have done is gather a whole bunch of new fans for the old show. Not that Buffy hasn't always had a steady trickle of new fans over the years (that certainly seems to be the case) but this new wave seems to be growing in size. A good many of the new fan videos on YouTube have popped up just in 2020, and there are other signs throughout the web. I'd say they may have a shot at something Buffy related if this trend continues. Enough fan interest might help get the backing they need, even if the plan is ill-conceived.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Losing the showrunner is a blow. But I still think it will happen. Its just a case of when.

danzalthar

Townie
It looks like the idea is being floated but no studio exec seems interested.
Well that Fox guy seemed quite enthusiastic a couple years ago, when he stated the only thing between a Buffy comeback and reality was Joss Whedon's will.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
What Fox really believes is this, existing Buffy fans (who would be the key audience) aren't interested in reviving the property unless Joss is involved.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
The CW gets most of their superhero IP from Warner Media, which is far cheaper than getting a Buffy series. Remember, CW's current plan is to throw shows about DC characters the movie division has no plan for against the wall and see what sticks. They work because they are cheap. On the other hand, the level of fan entitlement is truly amusing to watch.

Top Bottom