• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Is "The Body" the Best Episode?

DagonSphere

Potential
I personally don't think it's the best episode, it's a brave and emotional episode, but not the best. I did like the beginning of it, with Sarah acting her heart out when Buffy finds Joyce and waits for the ambulance. I do think this episode should have at least earned her an EMMY nomination. But I personally think Six Feet Under did most of the death stuff better and Buffy is a different show, Buffy's strengths are supernatural melodrama disguising real world problems, so I'd say an episode like Innocence or Becoming is much stronger.

Btvs fan

Scooby
Great acting but to me it was just Whedons attempt for Emmy grab.

Some of the stuff just left me cold. Like the ambulance guys just leaving Buffy with the body. No way that would happen.

Or Anya crying over a character she hadn't had 1 scene with before that episode. Just didn't work for me.

The only scene I really did like was the end scene with the Vamp attack. It was brutal and also kept in the metaphor which is what the show was always set around.

W

WillowFromBuffy

Yes!
Some of the stuff just left me cold. Like the ambulance guys just leaving Buffy with the body. No way that would happen.
Sure, they would. I've had it happen myself. It took most of the day for the people from the morgue to show up. It's not like they send a team of psychologists to take care of you. You're pretty much on your own. Though, in my case, they moved the body into the bedroom before they left.

Btvs fan

Scooby
Yes!

Sure, they would. I've had it happen myself. It took most of the day for the people from the morgue to show up. It's not like they send a team of psychologists to take care of you. You're pretty much on your own. Though, in my case, they moved the body into the bedroom before they left.
Fair enough. I didn't know that happened to you. I'm sorry.
I think me and my family have been fortunate in that case then

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
In my opinion, it is the best episode. Words don't do it justice. I have seen it countless times and I am rocked to my core every singe time.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Great acting but to me it was just Whedons attempt for Emmy grab.

Or Anya crying over a character she hadn't had 1 scene with before that episode. Just didn't work for me.

The only scene I really did like was the end scene with the Vamp attack. It was brutal and also kept in the metaphor which is what the show was always set around.
I don't think that's fair. I think the episode fits in with a lot of more adult themes of the season. Its a powerful pay-off to an impressive arc.

My answer to the question is no. Its certainly up there though.

Tome

Berktwad
Black Thorn
It's definitely the one where SMG acting was at its best. It still gets me a bit when I rewatch it.

However, as others have said, the episode just isn't Buffy-esque, if you get what I mean. I like drama in BtVS, but I like it most when it's thrown in with humour, action, and suspense.

SES SA

Potential
If someone asked me what the best episode of Buffy was, The Body would not be one of the episodes that entered my mind. Maybe that is unfair, but it just wouldn't be one of them.

vampmogs

Townie
It's an extraordinary episode but it feels so different from a typical "Buffy" episode to me that I could never call it the best.

I think the best episode of the show is "Innocence." To me, that's the episode that perfectly encapsulated everything that "Buffy" was about.

"The Body" is magnificent but it doesn't sum up the show the way many other episodes did. I also find that personally, it doesn't have as much rewatch value as many others. I'm actually one of those rare fans who've never cried over this episode (it's "Forever" that makes me bawl) but I do find it really emotionally draining and exhausting. It's relentless and, honestly, quite tedious. Which isn't a criticism by the way as Joss actually said he was trying to explore the tedium of death/grief in the DVD commentary. The fact that 3 Acts of the show take place over only 3 scenes does mean that we're watching each scene for an especially long time and that the episode moves at a glacial pace. The lack of musical score, the static shots of Joyce's body, or the mundaneness of Dawn's school scenes and the hospital scenes, are not "exciting" and nor are they intended to be. It's a tough slog and we spend so much time watching these characters grieve that even they too eventually stop crying because they simply have no tears left.

It's a brilliant achievement and Joss completely succeeds in what he set out to do. But it's not an episode I can rewatch often. In fact, out of all the episodes of "Buffy", it's probably one of the episodes I've rewatched the very least if I'm just popping in a random episode. I pretty much only watch it exclusively when I'm doing an entire series and/or Season 5 rewatch.

Top Bottom