• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Is there a way to turn off or hide gifs?

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I know there used to be a way to turn off images, or maybe that was just banners, but I am wondering if there is an option to hide gifs that I have missed? Sometimes I do want to see them but my little demented brain can't handle a wall of them. Thanks in advance :)

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Fair enough :) It is a personal brain problem, I can't even scroll on netflix without getting double vision lol.

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
I have never checked but you would think that someone should have made an addon for that by now.

Without having looked at it so does it feel pretty straightforward to add an option to not embed images and just show the links instead.
Or even hide them the same way spoiler tags works perhaps.

Maybe something to do when time and inspiration allows. :)

/SK

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
Only if people stop using gifs instead of words.
Wasn't there like a rule about it? That a post couldn't just be an image or had to be a sentence or something? Couldn't be just one or two words? or am I thinking of somewhere else.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Wasn't there like a rule about it? That a post couldn't just be an image or had to be a sentence or something? Couldn't be just one or two words?
I thought it was mentioned as a rule here at one stage, but it would be bloody hard to enforce now since so many do it. I blame tumblr :p

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I know we’ve talked about it. And asked people not to post just gifs. It’s actually why I had to turn off attachments, because people were filling the server up with OT gifs and memes.

I do have an idea about it to run by the rest of the staff.

Octavia
Octavia
Ta Buff

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Evil hand issues💀
Black Thorn
Wasn't there like a rule about it? That a post couldn't just be an image or had to be a sentence or something? Couldn't be just one or two words? or am I thinking of somewhere else.
As far as I know, posts consisting of only emoticons, a couple of words, or just gifs are/were considered spam. (Which is the main reason I created the 'random thread,' so people could just relax and share funny pics, gifs or random thoughts if they didn't feel like getting into long discussions)

I really like gifs. A lot. 😜

Last edited:

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Evil hand issues💀
Black Thorn
Usually, the chatty room isn't very active...and it would be super boring just chatting with myself. I mean, I could try...but I don't see that working out very well. 😅

Correction: Recently it's been VERY busy and it's hard to keep up with at times.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Evil hand issues💀
Black Thorn
In the chatty box, you mean?

Edit: Oh, you're referring to the various threads I post in? Well, when there's not a lot of people around, I might post anyway. Eventually, someone shows up. *shrugs*

Where have all the people gone? 😔

Last edited:
Ethan Reigns
Ethan Reigns
I'm still here. How are things in LA-LA land?

NileQT87

Billowy Coat, King of Pain
Adblock Plus (Element Hider is useful for this) could be used to hide anything with .gif extension. It can even be site specific.

Thus, "buffy-boards.com##[src$=".gif"]" would be the Adblock code to hide any .gifs on this site and it can be turned off at any time.

For example, on this site, I have the chat with all the startling pinging sounds blocked.

nightshade
nightshade
You can turn that off on the board, just click the speaker icon thing

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I really like gifs. A lot. 😜
I'm not trying to spoil your fun. It's just that they make me feel physically sick, like motion sick, and I am already cranky enough without that haha. I am not calling for a ban, just wanted to know if I missed the hide option in preferences :)

Thus, "buffy-boards.com##[src$=".gif"]" would be the Adblock code to hide any .gifs on this site and it can be turned off at any time.
Thanks for this! It's worked for some but not all of them, its better than nothing and I appreciate it :D I learned something new today!

Top Bottom