• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Is there lines in the Buffyverse episodes that you dislike/hate?

spikenbuffy

"Why can't I stay"
Staff member
So... Is there lines in the Buffyverse episodes that you dislike/hate?

I know some fans hate the lines in Reptile Boy "When you kiss me, I want to die" 😂 😁

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
I think it was that conversation when at first I thought it was sweet that Angel checked up on her, but then was just like an insecure, jealous boy. I also disliked that he NEVER answered Buffy's good question of "am I 'just a kid' to you?"

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I will never not cringe when Riley stares seriously at Buffy and goes; "You're gonna teach me." And then walks away. Puh-lease! Angel did the drama queen, mystery guy waaay better than that! :D

Faded90
Faded90
I totally imagine when this scene ends Buffy is just like ‘what the ****?’ 😂

Faded90

Potential
As another poster said most of Riley’s empty romantic platitudes that actually don’t mean anything.
Plus I’m Doomed his ‘I am by god not just going to walk away because it might not work’ . 1 because it’s waaaay overkill on the Riley is the AntiAngel thing they might as well have had him say ‘like Angel did’. 2. Marc delivers it terribly mostly I suspect because nobody talks like that, they went way overboard at times in making Riley the old fashioned manly man stuff, or in Goodbye Iowa ‘that’s a serious accusation! You better be ready to deal with the consequences!’ Ok ah this point I might just say everything Riley said 😂

When you kiss me I want to die. I genuinely don’t even understand what this means and I’m partial to some Bangel melodrama

Cordy’s ‘Angel’s feelings are the only ones I care about, he’s my priority’. I know this is when they were heavily pushing Cangel but it’s just so cringeworthy. It’s when Cordy is now nothing but Angel’s love interest and her relationships with everyone else don’t matter. Cordy suddenly cares about everybody and nobody at the same time

Also I may get flamed for this one but Spike’s ‘you’re a bloody puppet!’ It’s like nails on a chalkboard for me 😂

Sometimes when they try a bit *too* hard to make Angel badass. Angel can be very badass but sometimes it comes across very forced ‘I’m Angel and I beat the bad guys’ *shudders*

Last edited:

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
These came to mind.

Buffy:
"But nobody messes with my boyfriend!"
"The only thing I know for certain is that my boyfriend is locked away and I'm not helping."

The 'my boyfriend' part of it is just a bit cringey.

"No. No. No, no. We're just good friends. Or mortal enemies, depending on which day of the— was that the funny part?"

Because when were Buffy and Robin either good friends or mortal enemies?

Dawn:
"Are you kidding, it was like a meat party in my mouth! ...Okay, now I'm just a kid and even I know that came out wrong."

In the first place it's not that funny and I remember someone saying it weirds them out thinking about a group of 40 year old men writing that line for a 15 year old to say and now I have to agree.

Last edited:
Puppet
Puppet
OMG, yes, that 'boyfriend' line is so cringe-worthy!
Priceless
Priceless
I'll never hear that Dawn line the same again.

Robinette

Townie
Sineya
"Are you sure this is a good idea?" plus everything else that Darla says.

To be fair, Darla could be given the best lines and it would still sound awful.

Faded90

Potential
These came to mind.

Buffy:
"But nobody messes with my boyfriend!"
"The only thing I know for certain is that my boyfriend is locked away and I'm not helping."

The 'my boyfriend' part of it is just a bit cringey.

"No. No. No, no. We're just good friends. Or mortal enemies, depending on which day of the— was that the funny part?"

Because when were Buffy and Robin either good friends or mortal enemies?

Dawn:
"Are you kidding, it was like a meat party in my mouth! ...Okay, now I'm just a kid and even I know that came out wrong."

In the first place it's not that funny and I remember someone saying it weirds them out thinking about a group of 40 year old men writing that line for a 15 year old to say and now I have to agree.
Ah god the ‘nobody messes with my boyfriend’ 🙈

I hate that Dawn line as well, Michelle’s delivery is usually excellent but you kind of get the feeling shes even hating saying the line 😂

Athene
Athene
Yeah Michelle did her best with that line lol

thrasherpix

Scooby
The first thing that comes to mind was all the Dracula worship. I think it was jarring, but a lot of it was just ridiculous (there was only one moment that Xander was cracking me up with it).

If I decided to include season 7 then this would include many uncomfortable paragraphs sure to derail the thread. Let's just say I have no plans of ever watching that season again, and the dialog throughout it (however much I might've liked the word "guestage"), especially the latter half.

I could say the same with the season 3 episode involving Pat (so much to draw from there, but the newcomer Pat steals it for me in just horrible to listen to, and that wasn't an easy win).

Faded90

Potential
The first thing that comes to mind was all the Dracula worship. I think it was jarring, but a lot of it was just ridiculous (there was only one moment that Xander was cracking me up with it).

If I decided to include season 7 then this would include many uncomfortable paragraphs sure to derail the thread. Let's just say I have no plans of ever watching that season again, and the dialog throughout it (however much I might've liked the word "guestage"), especially the latter half.

I could say the same with the season 3 episode involving Pat (so much to draw from there, but the newcomer Pat steals it for me in just horrible to listen to, and that wasn't an easy win).
like when she encourages Joyce to start slagging off her troubled 17 year old daughter? Pat might be my most hated guest character 😂 There’s a lot of lines in that episode I hate

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
In "Dead Man's Party", we get this exchange between Buffy and Xander:

Xander: So where were you? Did you go to Belgium?
Buffy: (gives him an odd look) Why would I go to Belgium?
Xander: I think the relevant question is why wouldn't you? (smiles hugely and giggles) Belgium!
They both laugh.

This is a truly WTF moment. It has no connection to the story. What was the writer smoking?

B
Btvs fan
I still dont get it ?

Btvs fan

Scooby
Every English stereotype line in the show. They are all just teeth grinding

Every time David Fury did a rape line in all his episodes Buffy or Angel. Which he was fond of doing.It just used to take me out

Buffys Ghandi impression line, Joss probably thought that was really clever but it just falls flat.

Willow calling Faith a cleavagy slut bomb in TYG. That felt very unWillow like and more the writer

Faded90

Potential
This might sound like a really petty one in Triangle but it’s when Buffy and Giles are talking about involving the council with Glory and he’s saying they don’t have many other options then he says ‘if the initiative were around I’d consider using them’ I’m always thinking ‘erm no you wouldn’t because they were you know, evil and also absolutely useless when it came to the mystical side of the supernatural. It’s obviously a contrived line to show Buffy upset about Riley being mentioned but it annoys me every time 😂

Faded90

Potential
Any time Kennedy opens her mouth and words come out. That applies to Rona as well.

I dislike how Eliza Dushku delivers some of her lines particularly during the body swap episode and in Season 7.
I think the only line of Faith’s I don’t like is when Kennedy comes in and asks her for some of the crisps she’s got and she says ‘I’ll trade you for a pack of cigarettes....... sorry old habit’ (paraphrasing I don’t remember the full quote) . Eliza’s delivery is fine but it’s one of those lines that on paper sounds fine but in the scene it just edges into corny territory 😂

Athene
Athene
It was 'and soap' I found it funny 😅

TriBel

Scooby
When you kiss me I want to die. I genuinely don’t even understand what this means and I’m partial to some Bangel melodrama
It's a cheesy line but half of Western philosophy hinges on the juxtaposition of sex/love and death - as does three quarters of the poetry canon. 😄 It kinda makes sense given Angel gifts her a book of Barrett-Browning's poems...and isn't Donne referenced in Help? Whedon's given to quoting Yeats and I'm pretty sure Eliot is a way into the structure of S7. That's Romantic, Metaphysical and Modernist ticked off. So...point taken but it's a cliche I can forgive because it has resonance beyond itself.

A slight exaggeration but I cringe at almost every other line Spike says up to S7. I just want to roll my eyes, clamp my hand over his mouth and say "enough already". In S7 I loath the weapons chest remark to Wood in Get It Done. It's relevant at several levels but I don't like the delivery.

@Faded90 - You've made me think (which is always dangerous - particularly when I'm winging it 🙄). S7 is structured so as to be moving both forwards and backwards (boring stuff I'm skipping over). The Master tells us this - as does Whedon - "we're going back to the beginning and we're going to learn something about ourselves". There's also a lateral reference via a homage to Run Lola Run to time - specifically (from Eliot) "In my beginning is my end...in my end is my beginning" - pertinent given Buffy's unspoken new beginning at the end of Chosen (and the number of ends and beginnings she's had). I now want to check Help for parallels between Cassie and Buffy particularly with regard to destiny/predestination. She doesn't save Cassie but she does save herself (similarly, Spike in NFA saves a baby boy, he refers to him as Junior, and returns to his own beginnings, as a vampire, via his poetry recital). A digression and nothing to do with the OP...just my long-winded way of saying "thanks". 😄

Last edited:

TriBel

Scooby
@Priceless - sorry - I'd did say it was an exaggeration! 😄 Don't you ever have those moments when you think..."don't call her animal...don't call her animal...don't call her animal...Oh bugger!..."? I know why he does it and, theoretically, they're really important but sometimes it's like watching a car crash and I just want to shout "Brake you bloody idiot, brake!". 🤣

Priceless
Priceless
Yes totally, I'm often thinking 'just shush, say nothing!'

Faded90

Potential
Another one for me is in Dead Mans Party Joyce’s ‘guess what. Moms not perfect’ about her telling Buffy to leave in Becoming. Like ok Joyce so you are going to take zero responsibility for literally telling your daughter to not come back if she leaves the house but you won’t give Buffy any leeway for not being perfect herself. That makes sense

you can’t tell someone to go and blame them for leaving

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I know that it's iconic. I know that it's supposed to be awkward. But I kinda can't help but hate the 'you were myth-taken' line...

r2dh2
r2dh2
Oh yeah, I hated it.
Top Bottom