• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Is this anyone else's favorite season?

A fantastic, utterly engrossing story arc; a beautiful character arc for Dawn (who is not nearly as annoying upon rewatch); a delightfully catty and underrated villain; the banishment of that fool Riley; the most heartbreaking episode of the entire series; and the sheer volume of insane and shocking twists make this season my #1, with my rankings being something like S5 > S3 >> S2 > S4 > S1 >>>> S6 > S7 probably. Dawn as a plot device was just so freaking cool, I mean you wander into the season like "who the hell is this bratty little kid? Buffy never had a sister..." I remember first watching No Place Like Home, the episode where Buffy performs the ritual and Dawn and all her possessions start fading in and out, and she starts fading in and out from the family portraits in the house. It was just so creepy and cool and masterfully, artfully done, and you felt so sad for Dawn when Buffy told her that she wasn't her sister, and then getting to the end of the episode and understanding the meaning behind all that was so, so crazy. I don't agree with some people that the original series should have ended with this season though, I think the show is perfect the way it is.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
I agree mostly and I also agree completely with your season rankings
S
Sunnydale27
Yes! Season five was amazing! So many great plot points, Glory was a fantastic new villain, the Key storyline was cool (though Dawn was a little too whiny), and a fantastic finale.
fauxindigo
fauxindigo
agree, but I love S3 more than S5.

Btvs fan

Scooby
A fantastic, utterly engrossing story arc; a beautiful character arc for Dawn (who is not nearly as annoying upon rewatch); a delightfully catty and underrated villain; the banishment of that fool Riley; the most heartbreaking episode of the entire series; and the sheer volume of insane and shocking twists make this season my #1, with my rankings being something like S5 > S3 >> S2 > S4 > S1 >>>> S6 > S7 probably. Dawn as a plot device was just so freaking cool, I mean you wander into the season like "who the hell is this bratty little kid? Buffy never had a sister..." I remember first watching No Place Like Home, the episode where Buffy performs the ritual and Dawn and all her possessions start fading in and out, and she starts fading in and out from the family portraits in the house. It was just so creepy and cool and masterfully, artfully done, and you felt so sad for Dawn when Buffy told her that she wasn't her sister, and then getting to the end of the episode and understanding the meaning behind all that was so, so crazy. I don't agree with some people that the original series should have ended with this season though, I think the show is perfect the way it is.
I like the slightly more darker look of the show towards semi S2 ish as opposed to the bright look they had for S3 and S4 but otherwise no. The best thing about S5 for me was Spike, he was what kept interesting.

The stock writing which was the Joyce cancer arch bored me. Glory literally sat around and did nothing while Dawn was not written like a 14 year old should be

spikenbuffy

"Why can't I stay"
Staff member
One of my favorites season too! I struggle to choose which I love the best between S3 & S5 as they are my favorite seasons. Followed by S2 & then S6.

I love Glory and how Buffy is so afraid of her. I also love the relationship between Dawn & Buffy. It doesn't have too many bad episodes. The second part of this season is so great!

Last edited:

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
Season 5 is pretty amazing, the whole Dawn arc is something that was executed well and would be hard for any other show to pull off :) I love Buffy/Dawn’s relationship and Buffy’s journey but I think it’s still lacking the overall charm and light of seasons 3 and 2 so I’d rank it below them.
I also don’t care for Glory much, I love what she does for the plot but I think she’s kind of aggravating.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Definitely a member of the club of S5, for sure my favorite season. And that ending - The Gift - is so amazing that I still sometimes wish it had ended with that, even if it would mean no S6 and S7 (which I don't hate as much as some).

BaskingINBangel

I'm a little bit bison
S3 is my favorite, but I consider s5 my second favorite season of Buffy.

Some of the reasons why I love s5 are....

I love Glory and her minions.
I think this is my favorite season for Buffy's hair and clothing.
I've never been a huge fan of Dawn, or her arc, however, I'll never forget how I felt when she just showed up.
I'll never get tired of the Ben and Glory jokes.

Kratos

Scooby
May be my second favourite season behind S2. It was the first season of Buffy I ever watched, even though I only saw a few episodes of it at the time (2002). I assumed Dawn was always there lol. First ep I saw was Out of my Mind, the one where Spike tries to get his chip removed.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Not my favourite Season because of it being the start of Spuffy. However Fool for Love and The Body are some of the best episodes in the entire series even though they have some flaws (In my opinion).

Season 5 would've been a poor way to end the series (Buffy sacrifices herself for a character that has been neither seen or heard before but is soooooo important to her) even though Buffy's death would've been a powerful way to end the series if that makes sense. The series could've ended on Buffy's death but there needed to be a better reason for the death.

Season 7 was very kind to Dawn and I think that has a retroactive effect on Season 5. Without Season 7, I don't think Dawn would be as liked as she is.

Glory wasn't fleshed out enough to really care about. My theory is that she's actually basically a child god hence the desire to just be able to go home even if it means destroying the world in the process but obviously the show never elaborated on why Glory was doing what she was other than a vague reason. Season 2 certainly had the best villains because the conflict was more personal. Spike just wanted to make Dru better and the ingredient for that was Angel which created the conflict with Buffy, whilst Angelus used to be Angel so Buffy was having to kill someone she loved. Season 5 lacked that personal dilemma on both sides of the coin.

B
Btvs fan
I completely agree that Buffys death/sacrifice shouldve been how the show ended

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Eh, Season five is a good season, but it's too far away from the original premise of the show to be the best, at least in my mind.

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
S5 was my favorite and also the last really great season. The Body is my favorite episode, and Glory offers an interesting psychology of evil that is presented behind a veil of superficiality. Also, I feel Buffy's character undergoes the most growth of any season, and in interesting ways. Although Buffy cared about her friends, in my opinion through Dawn she learns for the first time to be accountable to more than just herself. The season explores themes like loss, the absurd, accountability, the nature of evil, etc. in interesting ways. Also, I feel the sheer drama is unmatched by anything that came prior to it (in my first watch I was completely at a loss for how the scoobies could defeat Glory right up to the final denoument). I can't say enough good things about this season.

katmobile

Scooby
It's a big favourite with both of the main reviewers I follow - it's Lani of Chipperish's fav and it's the season Passion of the Nerd thinks is the best although his own personal fav is five.

I think five is mostly great and sometimes incredible but it drags in its second quarter a tad and I really don't like Spiral.

Dora

Scooby
One of the best if not the best bit of television was Sarah take on finding her mum and afterwards....excellent acting
S5 is 5th on my list I have put iot behind 4 just because I felt 4 was the real last happy Buffy !
I thought Glory was the best baddy of the whole Seasons , but things like the knights was crazy ! and Buffy jumping to save the world....Dawns blood still flowing still bleeding ? and don't get me starting on the big bads fight on top of the tower...... pathetic , Andrew would have lasted longer
I believe that Whedon already had his eyes on firefly and this was the end of the buffy story for him , he appears to have had very little input on the last two seasons and from S5 onwards right through the comics it was about milking the cow

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I felt 4 was the real last happy Buffy !
Pretty much. Dawn came along then Buffy's lie went to pot. Joyce dies as a result of a brain tumour/aneurism (possibly caused by the magical insertion of memories and maternal love for Dawn), Buffy died (as a result of sacrificing herself for Dawn. When Buffy was resurrected, she was in severe debt and trying hard for Dawn not to be taken away by Social Services. Dawn did nothing to help herself or Buffy and acted like a brat in that season just because she felt like she wasn't getting enough attention.

Dawn was a destructive force in Buffy's life, yet Buffy constantly made excuses for her because magic was used to make her love her and believe that she was her sister. I don't dislike Dawn but she does have her moments of utter stupidity.

I thought Glory was the best baddy of the whole Seasons
I disagree. I don't think we really got into the reasons why Glory was doing what she was. She was a big bad for Buffy to beat and nothing else. She's a fun big bad but she's clearly presented as being in the wrong. Compare this to the villains of Season 2.

Spike just wanted to make Dru better which in itself isn't wrong. The conflict comes because Angel's sacrifice is the key to Dru's cure which is wrong hence the conflict with Buffy. Angelus has a personal connection to Buffy because he used to be Angel and Buffy has to overcome her feelings of love for him in order to do what needed to be done. She had to sacrifice Angel to save the world which had a massive effect on her.

and don't get me starting on the big bads fight on top of the tower...... pathetic , Andrew would have lasted longer
Andrew wouldn't have even made it up there. I do think you're being a little unfair to Spike here.

1. Dawn called out his name when he was about 10 feet away so he couldn't get the drop on Doc.

2. He wasn't expecting Doc's prehensile tongue.

3. Doc stabbed him right in the back which would've limited his movement enough for Doc to get the upper hand.

4. Doc would've been more aggressive in his fight with Spike because the ritual hadn't started yet. When Buffy appeared, the portal was already open so he was cocky because he thought there was nothing she could do. He had no reason to fight her. With Spike, he was fighting to prevent Spike from stopping the ritual.

Dora

Scooby
Pretty much. Dawn came along then Buffy's lie went to pot. Joyce dies as a result of a brain tumour/aneurism (possibly caused by the magical insertion of memories and maternal love for Dawn), Buffy died (as a result of sacrificing herself for Dawn. When Buffy was resurrected, she was in severe debt and trying hard for Dawn not to be taken away by Social Services. Dawn did nothing to help herself or Buffy and acted like a brat in that season just because she felt like she wasn't getting enough attention.

Dawn was a destructive force in Buffy's life, yet Buffy constantly made excuses for her because magic was used to make her love her and believe that she was her sister. I don't dislike Dawn but she does have her moments of utter stupidity.

I disagree. I don't think we really got into the reasons why Glory was doing what she was. She was a big bad for Buffy to beat and nothing else. She's a fun big bad but she's clearly presented as being in the wrong. Compare this to the villains of Season 2.

Spike just wanted to make Dru better which in itself isn't wrong. The conflict comes because Angel's sacrifice is the key to Dru's cure which is wrong hence the conflict with Buffy. Angelus has a personal connection to Buffy because he used to be Angel and Buffy has to overcome her feelings of love for him in order to do what needed to be done. She had to sacrifice Angel to save the world which had a massive effect on her.

Andrew wouldn't have even made it up there. I do think you're being a little unfair to Spike here.

1. Dawn called out his name when he was about 10 feet away so he couldn't get the drop on Doc.

2. He wasn't expecting Doc's prehensile tongue.

3. Doc stabbed him right in the back which would've limited his movement enough for Doc to get the upper hand.

4. Doc would've been more aggressive in his fight with Spike because the ritual hadn't started yet. When Buffy appeared, the portal was already open so he was cocky because he thought there was nothing she could do. He had no reason to fight her. With Spike, he was fighting to prevent Spike from stopping the ritual.

That is the one thing that is not consistent is the fighting ability of both Spike and Buffy , both are prone not to fight well occasionally for some reason , the punishment that Spike endured not only fighting Buffy (say in Smashed ) or the abuse that Glory and the first dished out to him , but he can't handle a little old man demon with a long tong ? Buffy did not even stop at the knife wielding Doc just pushed him out of the way
But it did make Spike help the scoobies because of his conscious over Buffy death ( every night I save you ) ...but that stopped when she returned , he went back to the same old Spike

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
That is the one thing that is not consistent is the fighting ability of both Spike and Buffy , both are prone not to fight well occasionally for some reason , the punishment that Spike endured not only fighting Buffy (say in Smashed ) or the abuse that Glory and the first dished out to him , but he can't handle a little old man demon with a long tong ? Buffy did not even stop at the knife wielding Doc just pushed him out of the way
But it did make Spike help the scoobies because of his conscious over Buffy death ( every night I save you ) ...but that stopped when she returned , he went back to the same old Spike
The writers couldn't allow Spike to stop Doc because otherwise he would save the day and Buffy wouldn't need to sacrifice herself. Spike is essentially used as the "hope spot", he gets up there and nearly saves Dawn but is defeated at the last moment which means that by the time Buffy gets up there, it's too late and she has to sacrifice herself to save the world.

They pulled the same stunt with Angel in Season 2. Willow re-ensouls him (hope spot) but it is too late as Acathla has already been activated so Buffy has to sacrifice him to save the world.

Dora

Scooby
The writers couldn't allow Spike to stop Doc because otherwise he would save the day and Buffy wouldn't need to sacrifice herself. Spike is essentially used as the "hope spot", he gets up there and nearly saves Dawn but is defeated at the last moment which means that by the time Buffy gets up there, it's too late and she has to sacrifice herself to save the world.

They pulled the same stunt with Angel in Season 2. Willow re-ensouls him (hope spot) but it is too late as Acathla has already been activated so Buffy has to sacrifice him to save the world.
Of course the writer could have given us all favour and Dawn jumped....that way no selfish brat in S6

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Yes but for the sake of mentally destroying Buffy as she would have lost all her family? No thanks, keeping Dawn was worth it.
As opposed to putting Buffy through the trauma of being dragged out of heaven and resurrected before a load of debt is dumped on her and none of the scoobies do anything to help? Giles might have given her money but he then abandoned her and that money quickly ran out because it had 4 people living off it with only Buffy putting any money into the household funds.

Also Dawn was in the exact same situation, she lost both her mother and sister, but she was more or less fine albeit missing them greatly. It would've been better for Buffy to be in that position than what she had to deal with in Season 6.

Black Thorn
Also Dawn was in the exact same situation, she lost both her mother and sister, but she was more or less fine albeit missing them greatly. It would've been better for Buffy to be in that position than what she had to deal with in Season 6.
I would have to disagree, Dawn got taken and Buffy literally went into a catatonic state, I think she would suffer more than Dawn would. Especially since Buffy becomes her mother.
Although Buffy had to deal with things that she definitely wouldn't have been able to deal with, she would have still ended up in debt, Giles would have left, the dynamic between the scoobies would have changed, and Buffy would be mourning the loss of both her mother and her sister (who is more like a daughter to her).
I know the trauma on Buffy from being dragged from heaven is very heavy on her but the fact that she failed to save someone who she loves so much would be heavy too, knowing that she could have saved her.

Dawn isn't Buffy and will react to things differently. Dawn has lost her mother and sister but Spike has also stepped into a father/brother role and Buffy's parental love for Dawn will make it affect Buffy more than it would Dawn.

I suppose it also depends on whether what would weigh more on her, the loss of losing perfect happiness or losing her whole family. I don't think that she would have had her epiphany about wanting to live though, because a very big part of that is down to Dawn, so we may not have got season 7 Buffy in the way she was.

Top Bottom