• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Is this anyone else's favorite season?

CHK DeWilSon

A BAngel fan. Always.
If it ended at 5 you would have never gotten to see Spike being the lead and the focus of the show and his path to redemption. Even in 5 he seemed largely comic relief, it was nice to see him grow beyond that as a character.

Spike being the lead of the show? Above Buffy?
Interesting comment but one I totally disagree with.
And it goes to not only what happened with BTVS itself but also a similar situation on ATS.

Cordelia was the second main character or in some eyes co-lead of ATS for her entity on the show however with her exit the show still continued on.

Now I'm not for one moment not going to say that Spike's story ended up taking precedence over the scoobies and the Buffy's in series six and seven (to the cost of the show IMO) BUT if JM had decided that series 7 was going to be his last and not SMG, does anyone really think that would have still been the end of the show? From my perspective I think JW would have continue to do the show without Spike because Buffy is/was the lead of the show and her mot being there effectively ends the show which happen.

As for this series five. Love it for the emotions of the story with the arrival of Dawn who I never had any major issues with. It's my 3rd or 4th favourite depending on my mood and certainly my 2nd or 3rd series/season finale. And IMO it connects so well with the series/season two finale.

Priceless
Priceless
Agreed, the show would have continued without JM.

Btvs fan

Scooby
Spike being the lead of the show? Above Buffy?
Interesting comment but one I totally disagree with.
And it goes to not only what happened with BTVS itself but also a similar situation on ATS.

Cordelia was the second main character or in some eyes co-lead of ATS for her entity on the show however with her exit the show still continued on.

Now I'm not for one moment not going to say that Spike's story ended up taking precedence over the scoobies and the Buffy's in series six and seven (to the cost of the show IMO) BUT if JM had decided that series 7 was going to be his last and not SMG, does anyone really think that would have still been the end of the show? From my perspective I think JW would have continue to do the show without Spike because Buffy is/was the lead of the show and her mot being there effectively ends the show which happen.

As for this series five. Love it for the emotions of the story with the arrival of Dawn who I never had any major issues with. It's my 3rd or 4th favourite depending on my mood and certainly my 2nd or 3rd series/season finale. And IMO it connects so well with the series/season two finale.

You wouldn't have got an Angel Season 5 without Spike. That was the deal breaker for the Network. A soft reboot with a lighter tone (hence the sunlight tinted windows) and Spike on it. Apparently JW initially tried to get JM as just reoccurring but JM said no Its a regular or nothing. Which is fair enough, suddenly going from full time hours to part time with the same company is a no no for any person in work.

An irony is that JM when over on Ats fell out big time with Producer Kelly Manners and was even going to hand his notice but then the Cancellation happened so it didn't matter.
He was also upset what Joss Whedon called him Angels great engenue. JM said that's acting speak for being a pretty boy.

Robinette

Townie
Sineya
Yes absolutely S5 is my favourite season. It's the best for many reasons already stated. I liked Buffy vs Dracula the best and the rest of the season is one long arc but there is still a lot of variety in it. The Gift is amazingly strong episode and it ties many things that had been building a while. I appreciate what was said earlier about the Hope which is similar to S2 finale.

By a long way I would put S5 on top, but after that the majority of seasons are good in different ways. I love the parsimony and simplicity of S1, and S2 has the greatest plot (it continues the premise and develops it very far) and S3 has the best balance bringing broader cast. S4 had some excellent bits but kind of all over the place. I was less keen on the final 2 seasons, S6 was aggravating/entertaining whereas S7 was tiring.

An important point mentioned is that Buffy's love for Dawn isn't the action of the spell, the spell makes the memories - and the love develops because of those shared memories. Through the season Buffy discovers what kind of love she has, and this is what compels her to make the sacrifice, the love she feels happens because of the person she is, it's not so much the Affection or Appreciation she has for her sister, it is emphatically self-sacrificing. She chooses it in as much as she chooses who she is and how she loves. But Buffy is also Chosen, and the monks chose Buffy for this role because she's already the Chosen.

Plasma

Not Lurking, Standing About. Whole different vibe.
Staff member
Absolutely. I will go to battle for this season.

Season 3 is the season where the show embraced its identity and concept perfectly, but Season 5 is where it really managed to balance that identity with week to week storytelling and episodic tie-ins.

Season 5 has the best villain of the whole show, in my opinion. Glory is incredible because she is the first villain that really feels out of Buffy’s depth and realm of expertise. She isn’t an evil vampire, or 3 evil vampires, or a human turning into a snake demon, or even a patchwork Frankenstein wannabe. She is a god and the show’s handling of that idea is wonderful. Buffy never wins against Glory until the final episode (where she more just exhausts Glory’s timer) and you never feel like she and the Gang are ever safe from the great and powerful Glorificus. She is an awesome villain that really raises the stakes.

The personal moments in this season are all home runs for me. Dawn, Joyce, Buffy’s failings at school and relationships, and everyone trying to figure out, “So…what now,” really makes this season work for me. The personal storylines are excellent follow-ups to Season 4, and things like Xander finding a new sense of self and confidence or Giles becoming a successful business owner (well…co-owner with Anya 😂) works brilliantly.

Oh, and the action, THE ACTION in this season is excellent. I remember watching through the show for the first time and thinking “Revelations” from S3 being the first time the action feels truly excellent. Then comes S5 and almost every action scene outdoes the last. The snake chase scene from Shadows is incredible for an early 2000s show. The fights with Glory are awesome. The list just goes on. So much excellent stuff with the action here.

Honestly, if someone could only watch one season of the show, this is the one I would submit to them. A perfect run of 22-23 episodes that has no real low point.

katmobile

Scooby
Is it not Dawns final words that tell Buffy she cannot stay ?They are all wrong ganging up on Buffy , they have relied on Buffy for years , was it not that that made them bring her back , once she was back did they not just rely on her to pick up from where she let off ? not caring about her mental state ? in their haste to get Buffy back they never really considered where her soul might be , never even considered to dig up her coffin ? they just wanted her back to dump the next load of crap on her , after Buffy returned she patrolled mostly alone
It was war just as in any war it is easy to underestimate the opposition ,Buffy had no Idea about Celeb , no its blame Buffy time because she always carries them always saves them' this time she didn't and if your own flesh and Blood will not back you, understand where you are coming from , say a good word for you at an important meeting then Who ? ,
Dawn is written better in S7 but then she could hardly be written worse than she was in the previous 2 but her attitude to Buffy at that meeting shows a underline bitchiness to her sister
I think the only point of season six is the difficulty of dealing with everyone one issues when you're emersed in your own. It honestly amazes you when you identify with Buffy so much you can hate the person I'd argubly she loves the most and who is the one who ultimately brings her out of depression.

FluffyPuppy

Townie
Absolutely. I will go to battle for this season.

Season 3 is the season where the show embraced its identity and concept perfectly, but Season 5 is where it really managed to balance that identity with week to week storytelling and episodic tie-ins.

Season 5 has the best villain of the whole show, in my opinion. Glory is incredible because she is the first villain that really feels out of Buffy’s depth and realm of expertise. She isn’t an evil vampire, or 3 evil vampires, or a human turning into a snake demon, or even a patchwork Frankenstein wannabe. She is a god and the show’s handling of that idea is wonderful. Buffy never wins against Glory until the final episode (where she more just exhausts Glory’s timer) and you never feel like she and the Gang are ever safe from the great and powerful Glorificus. She is an awesome villain that really raises the stakes.

The personal moments in this season are all home runs for me. Dawn, Joyce, Buffy’s failings at school and relationships, and everyone trying to figure out, “So…what now,” really makes this season work for me. The personal storylines are excellent follow-ups to Season 4, and things like Xander finding a new sense of self and confidence or Giles becoming a successful business owner (well…co-owner with Anya 😂) works brilliantly.

Oh, and the action, THE ACTION in this season is excellent. I remember watching through the show for the first time and thinking “Revelations” from S3 being the first time the action feels truly excellent. Then comes S5 and almost every action scene outdoes the last. The snake chase scene from Shadows is incredible for an early 2000s show. The fights with Glory are awesome. The list just goes on. So much excellent stuff with the action here.

Honestly, if someone could only watch one season of the show, this is the one I would submit to them. A perfect run of 22-23 episodes that has no real low point.

I completely agree with all of this.

To me, this season has just about everything and I go through so many emotions with every re-watch. Glory is probably my favourite villain from the series and season 5 has so many different storylines, reveals and moments, yet doesn't feel too crowded for me.

It is definitely action packed and every time I watch it I still find myself thinking "That was epic!" But I also think the characters all have so much depth this season. And I can't help but have the biggest smile when Buffy gives her speech to the council in Checkpoint.

And I have loved many of the different scores throughout the series, but the score in The Gift is my absolute favourite and has been since I first watched it. I still get the hairs stand up on the back of my neck every time it starts playing. I have many standout favourite episodes in this season (Fool For Love, The Body, Intervention and The Gift being among the top) but really the whole season is perfect for me.

And huge appreciation for the style of season 5, the camera work, sound design and editing choices in more than a few of the episodes are just done so well. The Body being a prime example, the whole design of this episode was just so raw and powerful.

And with all of the action, and the serious tones, there is still an equal balance of humor in it that just lands a perfect balance as a whole for me.

Top Bottom