• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Is Warren mentally ill or just bad?

afanofbuffy

Townie
Would you consider Warren as mentally insane who needed to go to an asylum or just a bad person with a very sane mind?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Would you consider Warren as mentally insane who needed to go to an asylum or just a bad person with a very sane mind?

I think you'd have to define what kind of mental illness you think he has before making a decision if you do indeed believe he's mentally ill.

Drusilla is clearly mentally unwell but "batshit crazy" is not a medical diagnosis, you'd have to figure out what kind of specific mental disorder she has.

As for Warren, I'm inclined to say no on the grounds that he is capable of forming genuine relationships with others and he is able to feel emotion rather than pretending. We don't really get a glimpse "behind the scenes" as to why the trio decide to try and takeover Sunnydale other than "because they can". I suppose it could be argued that Warren might have experienced some sort of break with reality given how outlandish the trio's exploits seem to be. It's very comic book like eg the freeze ray to rob the bank, plus the whole being Buffy's (the hero) arch-nemesis (whatever the plural is) which is often a staple of comic books eg Superman has Lex Luthor, Batman has the Joker (plus a rogue gallery), X-men have Magneto and his Brotherhood etc. Every comic book hero has their antagonists, the trio just decided to be Buffy's.

afanofbuffy

Townie
I
I think you'd have to define what kind of mental illness you think he has before making a decision if you do indeed believe he's mentally ill.

Drusilla is clearly mentally unwell but "batshit crazy" is not a medical diagnosis, you'd have to figure out what kind of specific mental disorder she has.

As for Warren, I'm inclined to say no on the grounds that he is capable of forming genuine relationships with others and he is able to feel emotion rather than pretending. We don't really get a glimpse "behind the scenes" as to why the trio decide to try and takeover Sunnydale other than "because they can". I suppose it could be argued that Warren might have experienced some sort of break with reality given how outlandish the trio's exploits seem to be. It's very comic book like eg the freeze ray to rob the bank, plus the whole being Buffy's (the hero) arch-nemesis (whatever the plural is) which is often a staple of comic books eg Superman has Lex Luthor, Batman has the Joker (plus a rogue gallery), X-men have Magneto and his Brotherhood etc. Every comic book hero has their antagonists, the trio just decided to be Buffy's.

It was just a question to know about opinions. I don't think Warren is crazy either. I find your concept of Warren experiencing some break with reality very cool. It was clear that the dude thought he was some supervillain of some books. However when he abandonned Andrew and Jonathan I thought he quit taking himself as a book villain and decided to be himself.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Warren could clearly distinguish between moral right and wrong, he knew about the law, was aware of when he broke it and took calm, rational steps to avoid detection/the cops.
He never acted like a psychopath, he has no bloodlust, ritualistic tenancies and doesn't appear delusional. There's no evidence that he could suffer from any 'diminished responsibility' plea.
He shows a sociopathic lack of remorse for the majority of the time we see him and has plenty of justification for his criminal actions. But then lots of criminals do.

So no, Warren should definitely go to jail. Some counselling there could maybe help rehabilitate him over a long stretch. His murders were violent and impulsive acts so it might be possible that, with enough time he could learn- oh he's dead. Yeah, she flayed him. Damn, that's nasty.

GreyWalker1958

Potential
Before S6, he was simply just a lonely naive little man who wanted a real girl thus went about his own private Pinocchio journey of sorts but went awry once he abandons his toy for Katrina (and forced into making the Buffybot)

But since and to this day, a vile little turd who's ego and pride got him way over his head only to earn the fate he got

Stake fodder

Soulless
He shows a sociopathic lack of remorse for the majority of the time we see him and has plenty of justification for his criminal actions. But then lots of criminals do.
I would agree that he's a sociopath, which is a mental disorder, but not one that gets you found "not guilty by reason of insanity." Also, I don't know if there's a named disorder, but all the Trio have an arrested development to some extent. They have brilliant minds, but a kid's sense of morality.

Every comic book hero has their antagonists, the trio just decided to be Buffy's.
Yes, exactly. I've just been re-watching S6, and what's notable is that they went out of their way to make Buffy their antagonist. She might not have even noticed a lot of their exploits if they hadn't targeted her, specifically because they were so full of themselves that they couldn't believe they would be beneath her notice.

Except for the misogyny, I enjoy the Trio's nerdy villainy!

thetopher
thetopher
Sociopathic tenancies, I agree.

afanofbuffy

Townie
Warren could clearly distinguish between moral right and wrong, he knew about the law, was aware of when he broke it and took calm, rational steps to avoid detection/the cops.
He never acted like a psychopath, he has no bloodlust, ritualistic tenancies and doesn't appear delusional. There's no evidence that he could suffer from any 'diminished responsibility' plea.

So no, Warren should definitely go to jail. Some counselling there could maybe help rehabilitate him over a long stretch. His murders were violent and impulsive acts so it might be possible that, with enough time he could learn- oh he's dead. Yeah, she flayed him. Damn, that's nasty.

So he was aware of his actions. Yeah. He was a sociopath.

I would agree that he's a sociopath, which is a mental disorder, but not one that gets you found "not guilty by reason of insanity." Also, I don't know if there's a named disorder, but all the Trio have an arrested development to some extent. They have brilliant minds, but a kid's sense of morality.

Yes, exactly. I've just been re-watching S6, and what's notable is that they went out of their way to make Buffy their antagonist. She might not have even noticed a lot of their exploits if they hadn't targeted her, specifically because they were so full of themselves that they couldn't believe they would be beneath her notice.

Except for the misogyny, I enjoy the Trio's nerdy villainy!

Honestly The Trio are refreshing. They differ from other villains. They are losers but they are hilarious characters who make fans laugh.

Last edited:

Kendar

Townie

Very much this. There's a huge difference between being mentally ill and being insane. Being insane (legally) the court has determined you are incapable of being responsible for your actions. (And moral right and wrong doesn't really play into it. If you're capable of recognizing what you are doing and that it's illegal you're in trouble). Manson and Bundy are both prime example of mentally ill people who were not insane.

Heck, at Comic Con in 2009 a panel of lawyers and psychologists/psychiatrists determined that most of Batman's villains were not legally insane by real life standards including the Joker.

afanofbuffy

Townie
Very much this. There's a huge difference between being mentally ill and being insane. Being insane (legally) the court has determined you are incapable of being responsible for your actions. (And moral right and wrong doesn't really play into it. If you're capable of recognizing what you are doing and that it's illegal you're in trouble). Manson and Bundy are both prime example of mentally ill people who were not insane.

Heck, at Comic Con in 2009 a panel of lawyers and psychologists/psychiatrists determined that most of Batman's villains were not legally insane by real life standards including the Joker.

This is actually very interesting. I didn't know that insanity and mental illness were different things. It can be assumed that Warren could have been mentally ill but not insane or very sane and not mentally ill, just a sociopath.

Kendar

Townie
This is actually very interesting. I didn't know that insanity and mental illness were different things. It can be assumed that Warren could have been mentally ill but not insane or very sane and not mentally ill, just a sociopath.
Yeah, it's possible to be "insane" at the time of an incident but fine at trial, and of course the prisons are full of people who are mentally ill but not legally insane.

Law and the Multiverse is a website that took fictional settings (usually comics) and applied real world law to them. Here's a writeup on the insanity defense, and here's one on competency.

afanofbuffy

Townie
Yeah, it's possible to be "insane" at the time of an incident but fine at trial, and of course the prisons are full of people who are mentally ill but not legally insane.

Law and the Multiverse is a website that took fictional settings (usually comics) and applied real world law to them. Here's a writeup on the insanity defense, and here's one on competency.
Thank you for the links very much. I will read them. They seem very interesting.

Top Bottom