• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Is Xander Looking For A Family

I think Xander initially became a scoobie because he liked Buffy and wanted to impress her. He quickly became a convert to the fight once Jesse was turned and dusted, and thought he still liked Buffy, he would have continued to battle the supernatural without her help.

I don't think he was looking for a family because he's already found that in Willow years previously and felt secure in the knowledge that she would always be his best friend and that the Rosenberg's took him in an treated him as part of their family.

I agree with @Priceless that Xander already found a family in Willow. I don't think there was a Scoobies to join in Welcome to the Hellmouth and the Harvest, Xander was fighting with Buffy and Giles to save Jesse, but after that, seems that he and Willow joined because it was the right thing to do and because they both have found a purpose, and Buffy was their friend.

I would say that as years go on, Willow and Buffy became Xander's true family. He sums it up when he tells Buffy in Seeing Red, "I don't know what I'd do without you [Buffy] and Will." Girlfriends come and go, Giles rarely showed interest in Xander, and Dawn was closer to Tara at that point. Buffy and Willow were always there for him and always showed interest in him and his life. They're his real family.

Alittlegrim

Stuck In The Middle
All good points. I never thought of it that way. I stand corrected.

I agree with @Priceless that Xander already found a family in Willow. I don't think there was a Scoobies to join in Welcome to the Hellmouth and the Harvest, Xander was fighting with Buffy and Giles to save Jesse, but after that, seems that he and Willow joined because it was the right thing to do and because they both have found a purpose, and Buffy was their friend.

I would say that as years go on, Willow and Buffy became Xander's true family. He sums it up when he tells Buffy in Seeing Red, "I don't know what I'd do without you [Buffy] and Will." Girlfriends come and go, Giles rarely showed interest in Xander, and Dawn was closer to Tara at that point. Buffy and Willow were always there for him and always showed interest in him and his life. They're his real family.
Good points.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
I don't think he started out actively trying to create a family for himself, but he certainly ended up finding one in the Scooby gang! Over all it seemed like Xander ignored the pain and disappointment of coming from a family with so many issues for most of his teenage years; he defected from the issue with humor. I think that deflection/denial kept him from being in a place where he was able to genuinely look for a new family.

I think the "Chosen Family" stuff is largely people seeing what they want to see in Joss's work. It's there if you want it to be, but I don't think it was a deliberate theme, because that would suggest the writers had a coherent backstory or character motivations for Xander after season 4, which is just plain nutty. I think the series was written by a bunch of former Latchkey kids who came of age in the 1970s, who had an separate existence from their parents in their teens and twenties, and wrote what they knew into the characters.

Top Bottom