• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Ishtar and Buffy (and Faith)

thrasherpix

Scooby
Hey, just letting those into archetypes, myths, and interpretations know about a book called Ishtar by Louise M. Pryke, an extensive look at the history of Ishtar/Inanna. This not only includes parallels with other mythologies despite how unusual the goddess seems (ironically, easier to find in mythologies that weren't influenced by the religion), but also pop culture.

One of those was Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I wasn't able to read it all, but it does compare Ishtar's descent to the Underworld to Buffy dying and coming back, and had quite a bit more. Faith would be Erishkigal, the evil twin that is actually part of Ishtar, or at least helped Ishtar become the goddess of contradictions who used that to bring order out of the chaos of the demonic underworld (just as Faith and Buffy even shared bodies and ended up fighting side by side, once no longer mortal enemies). There was more than that but I don't feel like going into it, and I wasn't able to read the entire section.

There's plenty online for those who'd like to look into it more. Unfortunately, the local libraries are still closed (the "reopening" is very schizophrenic around here) so I can't ILL (Inter Library Loan) it yet, and mentioning it now in case anyone else is interested (or better yet, has already read it and wishes to share more).

thrasherpix

Scooby
Ooh this book is pricey and my library doesn’t have it. 😞 Is there anything else you recommend? I’m interested in this topic!

Ask your library (a reference librarian if your library has that) if they can get books from other libraries. Here in the USA it's called ILL (Inter Library Loan) and is rarely more than a dollar to borrow (and many will do it for free, but this typically means both libraries are willing to do so for free). In addition to the author and title they'll usually want the ISBN, which is the "13" one on Amazon (typically). In this case it's 978-0367901103.

My library will sometimes even buy a book that is requested (though I don't see how they can afford this), though this is a bit tricky. When this was done for me, the book was sent to me and I was responsible for getting it to them in a reasonable amount of time or I'd have to pay for it. I found it easy enough, and they did have a process if the book didn't arrive, came late, or was somehow damaged (naturally, this should be reported right away rather than as you turn it in).

Another option that may be possible to you is a college library. Many will allow non-students to peruse their books (just not check them out).

Top Bottom