• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

"It all started with a girl"

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
AtF vol. 1 starts with "it all started with a girl" - nice mirror to how his show started. He's talking about Fred right? Any interviews that clears this up? Other fan theories?

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
Yes he is talking about Fred. He goes on to talk about joining W&H then says 'and then they killed her' so it's clear that he's talking about Fred's death as the catalyst for his war with them.

Priceless

Scooby
Ok I could be wrong here, but I thought he was talking about Cordelia. I haven't read it in ages, but doesn't she communicate with him through the breeze and the rustling of the leaves? I remember thinking it was a very sweet moment. But I'll have to re-read the comics to be definitive

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
This may go right back to the beginning of Buffy where Whistler first shows him his destiny in the form of Buffy, a girl at Hemery High School in LA. Everything in his unlife was profoundly altered from that moment on. "And then they killed her" could refer to The Master and his followers or Glory and her minions.

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
Ok so the transcript for the first page goes thus:

"It All started with a girl....

I joined a corporation that was quite literally evil incarnate. I thought I could channel their resources into something positive. In an existence defined by bad choices, that was my worst. I didn’t change them. They changed me.

Then they killed her. That opened my eyes. I took a stand."

So I'm pretty certain he means Fred.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
Ok so the transcript for the first page goes thus:

"It All started with a girl....

I joined a corporation that was quite literally evil incarnate. I thought I could channel their resources into something positive. In an existence defined by bad choices, that was my worst. I didn’t change them. They changed me.

Then they killed her. That opened my eyes. I took a stand."

So I'm pretty certain he means Fred.

Yea at first like @Priceless I had to re-read it because I thought , wait is he talking about Cordy? But WH didn't kill Cordy. Cordy did die and he did have a turning point in the vision but she was killed by Jazmine and there was never a correlation between Jazmine and WH in fact they were happy with Angel for getting rid of Jazmine right?

But I also don't really see how Fred dying was a turning point in the WH fight either so, basically I find this line very confusing. They wanted to do an homage to the "its started with a girl" that they did in City of and I get it but it's a bit murky.

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
Yea at first like @Priceless I had to re-read it because I thought , wait is he talking about Cordy? But WH didn't kill Cordy. Cordy did die and he did have a turning point in the vision but she was killed by Jazmine and there was never a correlation between Jazmine and WH in fact they were happy with Angel for getting rid of Jazmine right?

But I also don't really see how Fred dying was a turning point in the WH fight either so, basically I find this line very confusing. They wanted to do an homage to the "its started with a girl" that they did in City of and I get it but it's a bit murky.

I think it refers to what Angel said to the team in 'Power Play':

WESLEY
Cordelia gave you her visions?

ANGEL
(walks around the room; the others are still tense, on guard)
One-shot deal. She put me on the path, showed me where the real powers are. But I couldn't see who they were. Then, when Fred died, I wasn't gonna let that be another random horrible event in another random horrible world. So I decided to use it, to make her death matter. And it worked. I'm in. I've seen the faces of evil. I know who the real powers in the apocalypse are.

Priceless

Scooby
Just had a look at the Slay Alive site and they talk about Lynch confirming that Angel is speaking about Fred :)

Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
Thanks for investigating!
Top Bottom