• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

It's 2019 and this is so rad!

hellmouthmev

Townie
Hey folks,

So excited to have found this community. Like lots of you, I watched the show as it was airing and of course have gone back to it many times. It's wild to me how influential the show has been! My name's Mev, I'm from the UK and I've just started hand screening a Buffy tote (mostly because I couldn't find a decent black one anywhere) Hey everyone!

Favourite season has to be 2 and I picked Willow as my avatar- unsure if she's my favourite character but I'd firmly say she introduced me to so many new themes and perhaps, for me, most quickly surpassed her season 1 stereotype.

Where are you all from? How did you get into the show? :)

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Welcome to the boards! I am in Mississauga, a little town of 720,000 people two miles west of Toronto, Canada and you have definitely found the right forum. It is very civilized and intelligent for a fan forum so just keep posting - no one has seniority just by being here longer and your opinions have the same value as those of an old croc like me. I watched the show when it first aired along with Angel and around the 2010 to 2013 time frame, a local independent TV station started airing Buffy at a one episode per weekday rate so you didn't have the problem of forgetting what had gone before. I watched it through three complete cycles and during that time I found this place. I have hardly missed a day here since then. My favourite season was Season 3 but most seasons were far better than anything else on TV at the time.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Hola! Welcome aboard. I 💜 Willow. I'm from/in the midwest. My parents are huge Buffy fans. Got into show by watching a few S2 episodes with my mom (she had already started). Then went back and started from beginning. :)

thrasherpix

Scooby
Welcome.

Long story short, spent much of my childhood in Texas, currently live in California (am now 37).

I got only a brief glimpse of the show when it was new. The show became the darling of both lesbian and Wiccan communities until season 6, and so many friends pushed it on me, though I resisted.

Meanwhile, around 2003 to 2005, I was with a stud girlfriend who wanted me to become more feminine. While I became a tomboy in my youth for purely pragmatic (and natural, no conscious decision made) reasons I found myself uncomfortable with the idea of becoming more feminine and not sure why. I finally realized it was all the messages of femininity I'd subconsciously absorbed, and then fought against it.

And as I struggled with this, I finally (not for this reason) rented season 1 Buffy from the video store and I was instantly hooked. There was a lot to like about it. I like comedy, can enjoy camp, and I like vampires as demons (and not a fan of vampire romances but consider it inevitable so just toughed Bangel out) and the dialog was great. Giles actually became a dream father to me (though I forget exactly when he started appearing in my dreams that way).

But most of all there were many feminine women and girls who were still strong, smart, brave, assertive, refusing to be walked over (for the most part), and that was exactly what I needed at the time. I think I'd have enjoyed BTVS anyway, but this was exactly what I was needing at that moment so I kind of latched onto it.

To reinforce it, as I did adopt a more feminine appearance and demeanor (without going spineless, and I remained athletic) it made my life better because people I did business with started treating me as an adult and people even stopped carding me (I got carded to get into R-rated movies at time even when I was 22!). It became a new way to express myself and achieve more respect and power so I ran with it. I'd eventually get bored of it but I never returned to my former tomboy demeanor either. And that leaves other good feelings about the show. I guess it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Favorite seasons are 1-3 with 4 & 5 a close runner up. Not as fond of 6 and downright disliking 7 (which prevented me from getting Angel the Series for many years, but I loved it when I finally did get it). But it's not that I "liked high school" (I hated it, think dropping out was the best thing I ever did, never went to a school dance in my life and don't regret it) or "can't handle darkness" (I consider seasons 2 and 5 darker than 6, and I LOVED AHS: Coven so telling me I just can't take it dark is likely to get a sarcastic retort by me).

Last edited:

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
Hi Mev! Nice to meet you!
Oh, my teenage heart fell head over heels with BtVS many, many moons ago. I agree, it's kind of wild how influential the show has been and how lasting it's appeal is! :)

hellmouthmev
hellmouthmev
Likewise! Do you follow any of the cast on social media or otherwise? Personally I enjoy the show for what it is and I think I've grown out of my SMG fandom- I love Buffy but have moved on from following the cast.

hellmouthmev

Townie
Hola! Welcome aboard. I 💜 Willow. I'm from/in the midwest. My parents are huge Buffy fans. Got into show by watching a few S2 episodes with my mom (she had already started). Then went back and started from beginning. :)
Hey! Where in the midwest are you from? That's so cool that your mum got you into the show! Did she watch it when it was first out or did you both revisit it?

I actually had my mum watch the show with me too- this and charmed, aha- but that wore off! Mum even had a matching Buffy phone case with me back in the Nokia days :p

Welcome.

Long story short, spent much of my childhood in Texas, currently live in California (am now 37).

I got only a brief glimpse of the show when it was new. The show became the darling of both lesbian and Wiccan communities until season 6, and so many friends pushed it on me, though I resisted.

Meanwhile, around 2003 to 2005, I was with a stud girlfriend who wanted me to become more feminine. While I became a tomboy in my youth for purely pragmatic (and natural, no conscious decision made) reasons I found myself uncomfortable with the idea of becoming more feminine and not sure why. I finally realized it was all the messages of femininity I'd subconsciously absorbed, and then fought against it.

And as I struggled with this, I finally (not for this reason) rented season 1 Buffy from the video store and I was instantly hooked. There was a lot to like about it. I like comedy, can enjoy camp, and I like vampires as demons (and not a fan of vampire romances but consider it inevitable so just toughed Bangel out) and the dialog was great. Giles actually became a dream father to me (though I forget exactly when he started appearing in my dreams that way).

But most of all there were many feminine women and girls who were still strong, smart, brave, assertive, refusing to be walked over (for the most part), and that was exactly what I needed at the time. I think I'd have enjoyed BTVS anyway, but this was exactly what I was needing at that moment so I kind of latched onto it.

To reinforce it, as I did adopt a more feminine appearance and demeanor (without going spineless, and I remained athletic) it made my life better because people I did business with started treating me as an adult and people even stopped carding me (I got carded to get into R-rated movies at time even when I was 22!). It became a new way to express myself and achieve more respect and power so I ran with it. I'd eventually get bored of it but I never returned to my former tomboy demeanor either. And that leaves other good feelings about the show. I guess it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Favorite seasons are 1-3 with 4 & 5 a close runner up. Not as fond of 6 and downright disliking 7 (which prevented me from getting Angel the Series for many years, but I loved it when I finally did get it). But it's not that I "liked high school" (I hated it, think dropping out was the best thing I ever did, never went to a school dance in my life and don't regret it) or "can't handle darkness" (I consider seasons 2 and 5 darker than 6, and I LOVED AHS: Coven so telling me I just can't take it dark is likely to get a sarcastic retort by me).
Hey! Your story is so rad- I think I latched onto the show and vice versa because it spoke to a part of me as I was changing and growing up also.

It’s interesting that it perhaps shaped your view of femininity- I think I started at an opposite stand point. I went to an all-girls school and there really was no notion of boys (I think pre-internet, this was a lot easier to comprehend) and so there wasn’t the same pressures of looking or acting a certain way. Being cool in school was being smart and, in that regard, I never perceived girls like Willow as the ‘other’ and thus girls like Buffy (at least pre-Sunnydale days) were vacuous and uninteresting. In a small school of only 300 total, the show was a shift from the ‘norm’ because it presented to me things like bisexuality and magic in a normalised way.

Where I think it got interesting- and perhaps why I like season 2- is the introduction of Angel and other love interests and the move away from ‘high school drama’. I read an article somewhere that if you want to fall in love with the show, you should skip season 1 and start with 2. What do you think about that?

What music were you listening to around that time? I’m 30 so right as the show was ending- and I was totally hooked- I was definitely listening to a lot of emo and post wave- the themes or the show mirrored and matched so much of the music I was also listening to. I still listen to a Bronze Spotify playlist! Aha.

Welcome to the boards! I am in Mississauga, a little town of 720,000 people two miles west of Toronto, Canada and you have definitely found the right forum. It is very civilized and intelligent for a fan forum so just keep posting - no one has seniority just by being here longer and your opinions have the same value as those of an old croc like me. I watched the show when it first aired along with Angel and around the 2010 to 2013 time frame, a local independent TV station started airing Buffy at a one episode per weekday rate so you didn't have the problem of forgetting what had gone before. I watched it through three complete cycles and during that time I found this place. I have hardly missed a day here since then. My favourite season was Season 3 but most seasons were far better than anything else on TV at the time.
That's incredible! I actually just got back from Canada yesterday- I was in Montreal and fell in love! I haven't been to Mississauga but was in Toronto a few months back- any cool Buffy stores?

Oh wow you've been a part of the show and the forms for so long! Why Season 3? And snap on your comment about TV viewing at that time- we had one episode a week also trickle in. I still remember recording Hush on VHS!

Nix

Evil Nix 😈 Unicorn of Death!
Sineya
Hellooooo Mev, I'm a UKer too... glad you found the place :D

hellmouthmev
hellmouthmev
Amazing! Where are you from? I feel like I hardly know anyone from the UK who is still a big Buffy fan and remember's the Sky One days... :D

Hunga Munga

Potential
Where I think it got interesting- and perhaps why I like season 2- is the introduction of Angel and other love interests and the move away from ‘high school drama’. I read an article somewhere that if you want to fall in love with the show, you should skip season 1 and start with 2. What do you think about that?
I read that somewhere too , they talking the crazytalk :) . I think for the 21st century Hi-def sensibilties , season 1 does look a bit rough , but that's not enough to discount all that quality Scoobage .

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
@hellmouthmev
Likewise! Do you follow any of the cast on social media or otherwise? Personally I enjoy the show for what it is and I think I've grown out of my SMG fandom- I love Buffy but have moved on from following the cast.

I used to follow several of them, but celebrities bum me out, so now I just follow SMG because she's still cute enough not to get on my nerves ;)

telperion66

Potential
Favourite season has to be 2 and I picked Willow as my avatar- unsure if she's my favourite character but I'd firmly say she introduced me to so many new themes and perhaps, for me, most quickly surpassed her season 1 stereotype.
Actually, I think Willow was at her best in season one. I just like her a lot more in that season compared to the later seasons.

In the first season, she seemed to be stronger as a character in her dialogue especially. During the later seasons she seemed to develop this sort of "child-esque" quality to her dialogue when communicating with the others, whereas in the first season she just speaks normally and is really cool.

Kratos

Potential
Welcome. I’m 33 and from Ireland.

Love your avatar. Willow’s one of my favourite characters too, though I actually thought she was great in season one as well. S2 is my fav season also.

I never really got into BtVS until 2009 when I started watching the first three seasons on Syfy UK, though I had seen a few episodes here and there from seasons 5 and 6 on tv3 Ireland around 2002/2003. The series quickly became one of my top 3 shows and still is.

I started my second rewatch of Buffy a few years ago. I skipped S1 on my first rewatch. I forgot how clever the dialogue is and how great the actors are, as I hadn’t watched the series in years before that and have only seen most episodes 2-3 times.

S2 is better than S1, but 1 is great in its own right imo if you don’t mind the cheesiness. The tone reminds me of all those 90s cartoons I loved when I was younger. Don’t know why some people hate it. It’s a great introduction to the series and characters.

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
Hey Mev, welcome to the Boards. Another Brit from the South coast here :)

I remember the days of waiting eagerly for the next episode of Buffy to air. And of recording it on VHS :D
Think I started on s1 when it was reshown just before s2 started so I got 2 seasons together then had the loooooong wait for s3 to appear. (But it was well worth the wait ;) )

spikenbuffy
spikenbuffy
Should have been amazing to watch it as it aired!

thrasherpix

Scooby
It’s interesting that it perhaps shaped your view of femininity
Yes, your background was different from mine, and from many girls. But I think I need to be clearer.

I was essentially raised on fantasy and scifi where as a rule of thumb females were measured by their skills and accomplishments rather than attractiveness and getting a man. This shaped me to be different than other girls. Most of those other girls shunned me so I didn't feel like one of them.

Not that it's the only thing. My grandmother never married in her life and was awesome (at least by the time I was alive, she did make some horrible mistakes before I was born) so she took care of herself and I wanted to be like her. (My extended family overall did, in both well meaning and cruel ways depending on the person, promote self-reliance, including for girls, and the neglect of my parents made sure it stuck, which contributed to my escaping into scifi/fantasy, especially when forced to live with my very neglectful, alcoholic parents in the city.)

I could go on, but the point is that I came to see my value in being who I was, not in who I could attract. Many (especially females) tried to gender police me, sometimes kindly, often not so kindly. One paternal principal was naive enough to think girls were sugar and spice and everything nice who could only be corrupted by males (and tried to figure out which ones were making me "bad"). Successful self-defense on my part was used to belittle the guys and make me feel at at gut level that it was a fluke. I liked game books and got excited when I found some "for girls" only for it to be about getting a man, or even a man to rescue me or resolve the situation with my support and I quickly went back to the generic game books that assumed a male reader, but it was another drop of water on how powerless women are, save in enchanting men to be our power for us. Even well meaning feminists promoted the idea of female as victimhood...even a free (glad I didn't pay for it, and I told them that) self-defense course by feminists was essentially there to scare the crap out of us more than give us sensible advice and how to protect ourselves.

All of this built an image of women as powerless needing men to complete them and to be our power and protection. Having been a victim before (though as a tomboy) didn't help.

So as I applied makeup and wore dresses in a traditional way (it wasn't the first time, but those were either special occasions or something else special I don't want to get into) I felt uncomfortable, even scared. I felt like I was dousing myself in steak sauce in a world of predators, that I'd lose the ability to take care of myself and stand strong much as Samson did when his hair was cut off. In short, I felt an almost phobic reaction to being more traditionally feminine as my then girlfriend wanted me to be. It felt like giving up my spine in that Angel episode She. (Furthermore, it felt like I didn't belong in "girl world" anyway.)

Of course I realized it was ridiculous, but by definition, irrational feelings are irrational and can't be reasoned away, not on a gut level.

As I was working on this in my early 20s I saw BTVS, and they included girly girls who were brave, assertive, and able to take care of themselves. As I was irrationally scared I'd become spineless, submissive, powerless and a victim, it was what I needed to see. They were girly girls, and still okay. And that helped me overcome my fears of adopting such appearances and mannerisms, to imagine myself as my girlfriend wanted to be without feeling vulnerable. (I know it sounds like I was doing it "just for her" but once I realized this irrational feeling was inside of me I was determined to be rid of it.)

BTVS didn't shape my views or magically make all my irrational feelings go away (and I'm sure I'd have worked it out sooner or later even without seeing it). But it gave me a morale boost when I needed it the most to IMAGINE being girly girl and yet still being able to be who I was and able to take care of myself, and I took comfort in it when I needed that comfort. It helped and I was grateful.

That aside...

I say season 1 first. At least back in the day of dvds. Had I rented the first dvd of season 2 instead, there is only one episode I'd have liked. The rest wouldn't have made much sense and I also wouldn't have cared enough about the characters. I might've rented one more dvd but probably given up on it before it got good. But having seen season 1 I had come to care for the characters and was more invested in it so I enjoyed season 2 more than I would've otherwise and cared enough to stick it out to when it got good (and totally sucked me in with that Angelus arc).

As for the music I listened to when I watched it? Mostly darkwave (early Cruxshadows and Bella Morte, Last Dance, Nox Arcana, Switchblade Symphony, Dead Can Dance, etc), though I did like early Bif Naked with the Bif Naked song We Are the Lucky Ones being a favorite of mine, which was in an episode and on the Buffy soundtrack.

I have a wide variety of musical interests, from classical (like Lizst and Chopin) to country-western. I had a special taste for folk rock like Dar Williams (Enya and Clannad should also get mentioned) back then, though today I'm more into symphony metal, especially Within Temptation, Nightwish, and Epica (but still love darkwave, and keep up with Cruxshadows despite their having drifted from their darkwave roots). Then and now I still have a special love for VNV Nation.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Hey! Where in the midwest are you from? That's so cool that your mum got you into the show! Did she watch it when it was first out or did you both revisit it?

I actually had my mum watch the show with me too- this and charmed, aha- but that wore off! Mum even had a matching Buffy phone case with me back in the Nokia days :p
oHIo here. Both mom & dad watched when it aired. They have it on dvds. Mom told me that had I been born year or two later I might've been named 'Willow'. :D

Top Bottom