• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

"I've Never Seen "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" So I Watched The Pilot And Finale And Nothing In Between"

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
Why would she think that's a good idea? 😂

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Yeah, they been better off just trying random episodes from late S2 & S3. 😕

Tank1978

Scooby
I read this too. Was hilarious.

"Spikes soul explodes which helps fight off the demons. I'm sure this would make more sense if I watched the whole thing"

Only missed out the 142 episodes...seems a rather odd way to watch a show. I'm not even sure at the end of it she knew Angel and Spike were vampires. Think she suspects it but not certain and wonders why Buffy is in a love triangle with two men who look about 10 years older!!! 🤣

Wonder if she'll do the same with Angel....what would she make of Lorne and Ilyria? Especially when Ilyria turns into Fred as Wes dies.

Imagine if she then picked 1 episode at random to watch and chose once more with feeling 🤣

katmobile

Scooby
I saw this on Google News, I got a chuckle out of it. I think the writer may have been better served if she went with "Graduation Day," or watched the pilot as the two part episode it was intended to be. Gosh, I bet Cheers would be confusing with this type of system.
A former work colleague of mine after urging/recommendation from his mates watched The Gift cold. He found he could follow the plot ok it was the relationships between the characters that he found he couldn't get his head around on that basis and yeah I get that they're complex and don't get simpler.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
A former work colleague of mine after urging/recommendation from his mates watched The Gift cold. He found he could follow the plot ok it was the relationships between the characters that he found he couldn't get his head around on that basis and yeah I get that they're complex and don't get simpler.
Buffy was mostly a product of an age where television was episodic, and continuing storylines were considered a burden to syndication. It was only in the mid-aughts when it becomes okay to make season arcs. That being said, "The Gift?" It's literally the only episode of the show that tells you that you need to watch every prior episode to appreciate this one. So I agree, the relationships in the gift are not self contained.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Dunno, I think that Buffy was more of a hybrid. Cause (especially in the 2nd half of the season) they always had some kind of seasonal arc.
Definitely, yes. Buffy was a pioneer. But think about those seasonal arcs, how many of them have the Big Bad gloat for a scene or two, before getting back to the plot? X-Files did the same thing, some mythology episodes, but mostly MOTW. DS9 met resistance from the studio for it's war Arc and finale Arc. This is why I give a lot of leeway to season 4 of Angel. Nobody really knew how to write a season long Arc at the time. Longform story telling is normal now, but this was not always so.

Definitely, yes. Buffy was a pioneer. But think about those seasonal arcs, how many of them have the Big Bad gloat for a scene or two, before getting back to the plot? X-Files did the same thing, some mythology episodes, but mostly MOTW. DS9 met resistance from the studio for it's war Arc and finale Arc. This is why I give a lot of leeway to season 4 of Angel. Nobody really knew how to write a season long Arc at the time. Longform story telling is normal now, but this was not always so.
Buffy deserves credit for a lot of things, but it's general structure is REALLY reminiscent of Sailor Moon, which had aired a few years prior. That anime had all the usual monsters of the week and a season long arc with a villain. It even had the ambiguous love interest helping out the blonde protagonist...have no idea if Joss was inspired by it or not but the superficial similarities are interesting.

The long form storytelling became more popular after The Sopranos, but Buffy definitely had exceptional seasonal long arcs, especially seasons two and three. They were not popular at the time and many people despised the X-files attempt at an overarching arc. The good thing about shows like Buffy and X-files is that the MOTW episodes were often exceptional in themselves, and Buffy holds up particularly well because it managed both well (except for seasons 4 and 7...and even those seasons contain amazing standalones)

Another thing is that TV shows these days are shorter, so MOTW episodes are often considered useless filler. They are much more like films, with shorter screen times and bigger budgets ala Game of Thrones. Sometimes I miss eosiodes going off tangent though, some newer TV shows seem a bit stuffy and pretentious compared to the pre-golden era of TV at times.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Dunno, I think that Buffy was more of a hybrid. Cause (especially in the 2nd half of the season) they always had some kind of seasonal arc.
I agree. Its funny because a friend of mine whose cynical about the modern age of TV quite likes Buffy because he seems to prefer the standalone structure. What's funny about that is unlike a show like X-Files I think the arc episodes work better than many of the standalones. The best standalones are the ones which add to the characters (I Only Have Eyes for You for example).

This was a fun experiment and I enjoyed her random comments. Before I got into Buffy I just watched a couple of random episodes on TV, All the Way and OMWF.

Cohen

Warrior
I wish they would have named the first two episodes as like “welcome to the hellmouth pt 1 and pt 2” because new people don’t understand that it was meant to be viewed as one episode. Also, it’s not the pilot. The pilot was the 20 min quick version of the 80 min episode without Alyson Hannigan as Willow.

Top Bottom