• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

James M and Michelle T

Monkey Pants

Bored Now
Black Thorn
Apparently James Marsters and Michelle Trachtenberg each had a crush on each other of varying degrees.
James even wrote his song Dangerous for her:

I don't think you know my name
I think you'd leave me standing in the rain
You're a pretty little girl, you got a thing for me
But you'd cut me open and let me bleed

But I notice you
With your long brown hair
Pretty little feet
Sparkling everywhere

You look so good
When you come my way
But I have to look down
When you talk to me

'Cause you're dangerous
Dangerous
Dangerous
And you don't even know it

One baby, two, maybe three more years
You'll be a full grown girl, have all your curves
And here's my taste of irony:
You'll be a ten-hot baby, too good for me

But I'll be looking at you
Pretty little feet
Sparkling everywhere

You look so good
When you come my way
But I have to look down
When you talk to me

'Cause you're dangerous
Dangerous
Dangerous

So little girl, be good to me
There's a fire in you that's gonna to burn free
But I'm not the one to hold your hand
I'm too grown up to be your man

But I'll be looking at you
Pretty little feet
Sparkling everywhere

You look so good
When you come my way
But I have to look down
When you talk to me

'Cause you're dangerous
Dangerous
Dangerous

So, creepy or sweet?

Monkey Pants

Bored Now
Black Thorn
Not sure when it was written, but it was on his album from 2003

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
Michelle is 6 months younger than me - in 2003 I was 17/18. And we don't even know if the song was written that year.

Im going with creepy. He might not have actually done anything, but he thought about it enough to write the song.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Michelle is 6 months younger than me - in 2003 I was 17/18. And we don't even know if the song was written that year.

Im going with creepy. He might not have actually done anything, but he thought about it enough to write the song.
Creep if true I'm going with;)

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I found this online which is interesting...

I’ve read a lot of different opinions on the song that range from, “creepy and gross” to “kind of sweet.” Personally I lean towards the “creepy” side a bit. A 40 year old guy lusting after a 17 year old girl is a bit shudder worthy, and stanzas that include, “So little girl, you better stay settled, You’re playin with fire, when you get too wet, So set me down and leave me be, You find a devil when you unchain me” don’t help, but I’m not here to condemn (it would be a bit hypocritical of me) or condone. They are both ridiculously gorgeous Human Beings and attraction doesn’t really take social mores into account. If you look at it from an evolutionary point of view… on second thought, I’m not going to go there. Personally, I didn’t become attracted to her until Midnight on October 11th, 2003. It was like a switch had been thrown. Honestly. ;)

Here are some relevant facts:

Michelle Trachtenberg turned 18 on October 11th, 2003.
James Marsters turned 41 on August 20, 2003.
Ghost of the Robot’s album Mad Brilliant, the one that featured Dangerous, was released in 2003 (not sure of exact date. Anyone know it?)
Ms. Trachtenberg and Mr. Marsters worked together on Buffy the Vampire the Slayer. The last televised Season, seven, aired between fall of 2002 and spring of 2003.
At the beginning of Season 7 of BtVS Ms. Trachtenberg was 16. She turned 17 between episodes 03, Same Time Same Place and 04, Help. Oct 11 of ‘02 was on a Friday.
She had had a noticeable growth spurt in between the end of Season 6 and the beginning of Season 7 (she went from a cute girl into a serious hottie. The writers knew it too. I’d like to offer into evidence Exhibit A: Episode 07x06, Him).
Unless James M. had a sudden inspiration after October 11th, 2003 the feelings expressed in the song had to have been brewing long before that date. I suspect it was working with her so closely during Season 7 of Buffy that did it.

So, taking all of this into account I had an idea about the song and what it means beyond the obvious: The song is about Michelle Trachtenberg, no dispute about that, but what if it was to her as well?

Semi-wild speculation here, but what if Michelle was crushing hard on James during the filming of Season 7 of Buffy (or before)? Who could blame her? The line, “You’re a pretty little girl got a thing for me” points in that direction.

Wilder speculation: what if this hypothetical crush manifested as hints, innuendos and straight up confessions of desire for him on her part? This stanza, “So little girl, you better stay settled, You’re playin with fire, when you get too wet, So set me down and leave me be, You find a devil when you unchain me” would make a lot of sense if that were the case.

Irresponsibly wild speculation: what if she actually tried to seduce him? That truly would be “Dangerous” for Jimmy boy.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I guess him having the thoughts (if he did) are one thing, but whether he acted on them is the more important thing. Its quite possible she had feelings, but that's not really the point given her level of maturity compared with his at the time.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
From what I remember of him talking about she had a huge crush on him at the time, that made him a bit uncomfortable which is why in the later seasons they had less scenes together.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
It's hard to judge the situation not knowing any more, but it is a bit weird considering she played a child on the show. James had a thing with Mercedes McNab too and she was very young. Although I remember him saying he didn't realise how young she was after they went on a date together. He would have been nearing 40 and she 19/20 at the time.

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
It sounds pretty weird and creepy, but we don't know the whole story.

Has he categorically admitted it's about Michelle? Or is it just speculation?

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I've fairly certain this is why Spike and Dawn have very few scenes in S6. I remember the song coming to light sometimes around that time- or that it was written then.

I do think its weird to write a song like that about a co-star, and a much younger one at that but then I'm not up on all the details.
Maybe she inspired only part of the song, not all of it. Artists take inspiration from anywhere for songs.

cryptwarmer

I'm in charge of morale!
Black Thorn
Have you ever listened to his music and seen his wife? He unabashedly has a thing for young women. This isn't a secret.

However...even though that song is likely about MT, it also is pretty clear he didn't want to go there.

His wife Jasmine is half his age.

A man thinking a young teen girl is hot is pretty much standard isn't it?
I guess they're not supposed to mention it.

Washburne

Protector of the key.
Black Thorn
A man thinking a young teen girl is hot is pretty much standard isn't it?
One of the few times women having an advantage, if you want to call it that, over men. I work with mostly women. Them talking about young men or teens attractiveness is not uncommon. For women it also seem appropriate to say things like "Imagine him when he gets older" about kids. Or simply say he's cute, such a charmer and so on about kids between 6 and 10. If men did that they'd be most likely be called a paedophile. Since you know, sex is basically all we think about. I can think young boys or girls are cute and believe it or not, it not being in a sexual way.

With that said, a 16 year old can look older than a 25 year old, so yes men can definitely think a women that age is beautiful or sexy if you don't know her age. Hopefully that would change if they knew her being underage but to be honest I'm sure that's not always the case.

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
The lyrics are kind of creepy regardless whether they're about M.T or not. "You're dangerous... you'll have all your curves..." ugh.

But I suppose song-writing is a pretty good way to channel your feelings! :)

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
I just get the creeps from the song.

I can accept age difference (there is 7 years between me and my gf)...but generally 10 is the max for me. Although love is love and it can do strange things, but if M.T. were underage when this song was written or he was actually into her, big nope nope nope.

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
Hm, well, personally I guess I'd rather not hear it, so yeah, I suppose I do feel they shouldn't mention it. I mean what you want to think about in the privacy of your home or bedroom is your business, but making it public is making other people be a part of it...

But all in all, this song is not that different from "Don't stand so close to me".

Professor Walsh

Feminist slayerette
Black Thorn
It's not sweet. I'm not creeped out by it, either. I mean, nothing in the text glorifies the feelings the older man has towards the girl in the song. "So little girl, be good to me/ There's a fire in you that's gonna to burn free/ But I'm not the one to hold your hand /I'm too grown up to be your man." As long as a person doesn't act on his or her feelings, I find it none of my business who they have a crush on. And yeah, Taake, it's not all that different from the teacher/pupil in "Don't stand ...". It is the older person's responsibility to do the right thing, but there is no doubt that the younger person can make life really hard for the older.

Top Bottom