• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Jessica Parker Kennedy wants to play Buffy in the reboot

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
The Flash actress is campaigning to play Buffy in planned reboot

BY MEGAN DAVIES

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is officially getting the reboot treatment, and while that's pretty much all we know for now, it doesn't mean that there aren't already people willing to throw their hat into the ring.

Last year, it was confirmed that Joss Whedon was working on a new TV version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer in a project that is expected to cast a black lead actress, and now The Flash star Jessica Parker Kennedy wants everyone to know that she'd definitely be up for the job.

"I can't even speak on it because all I want in my life is just Buffy to be a big, big part of my life, so I'm very excited it's coming back. Obviously I think I should be Buffy," Jessica told The Tomorrow Show.

"I hope I get to audition for it as many times as possible, even if I need to crawl my way into that audition room..."

The actress stressed that she's already called her manager and let everyone know that she'd be happy to be involved, adding: "I have called. I've made that call. I'm telling the world, I've made that call, because I just would love that so, so, so much."

Kennedy, who is best known for starring as Nora West-Allen on The Flash, also added that she's a huge Buffy fan, calling the character her "spirit animal" and admitting that whenever something cool happens to Nora in the show it feels like she's getting her Buffy moment.

"This is me," she continued. "I have a night shirt that I sleep in that's a Buffy shirt, and it says 'I Slay', and in the morning I wake up and I stretch and I go, 'ughhh, Buffy!' and then I start my day. Now this isn't every day, but this is a lot of days. So this is like a part of me...

"I'm a super fan. Yeah, absolutely. Like, under my breath on The Flash, when something cool would happen to Nora, I was too embarrassed to say it out loud, but under my breath, I would be like, 'Buffy!'

"Just because that, she's like my spirit animal, so she motivates me."

Of course, there's been no official updates on any part of the reboot series just yet, so it really is anyone's game.

The revival series has also garnered the attention of original stars Sarah Michelle Gellar and David Boreanaz, who both said that it's a good thing.

"At the end of the day, it's all about great storytelling," Gellar explained. "If a story lives on, then I think it should be told in any incarnation it can be told in."

Source: Digital Spy

I am conflicted, because I like her, but I'm not sure she could handle being #1 on a show. Though, to be fair, I haven't watched her in the Flash so she might have upped her game since the last thing I saw her in.

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
I am conflicted, because I like her, but I'm not sure she could handle being #1 on a show.
That's why you're conflicted? I mean, I assume it will be a high school age Buffy. The chick is 34 years old. Before the first episode airs would be 36 at least.

And if they aren't doing a high school Buffy then what's the point really? Buffy is sorta synonymous with coming of age. I can't imagine an adult Buffy at the start.

B
Btvs fan
Charisma Carpenter was 28 when she was cast as 16 year old Cordelia

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
I really like this actress (haven't seen her on the Flash but I saw Black Sails and enjoyed her acting, although I know some people found her acting weak).

But ya she's far too old for the role.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
♥ Black Sails
Reactions: Leo

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
That's why you're conflicted? I mean, I assume it will be a high school age Buffy. The chick is 34 years old. Before the first episode airs would be 36 at least.

And if they aren't doing a high school Buffy then what's the point really? Buffy is sorta synonymous with coming of age. I can't imagine an adult Buffy at the start.
It's not like they're even necessarily considering her.

Hunga Munga

Potential
Admire the ambition but she's a bit old for the role surely ?

I thought Dominique Provost-Chalkey (Waverly from Wynonna Earp) would be ideal , but she's no spring chicken either.

Echo126
Echo126
I would love to see Dominique do that. But you're right, she'd be too old for the role :(

Spanky

Black Thorn
It's not like they're even necessarily considering her.
I am aware of that. I just thought it was a little... um, egotistical? shortsighted? that she talked to her agent about being Buffy. I think a "normal" person (especially of her age) would say they wanted to be a part of it and see what transpires.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
You don't get it if you don't ask...and now there's an article about her, which might mean a role in something else for her...

Spanky
Spanky
Uh huh. In theory. But yeah, the publicity I am sure is a good thing for her.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Yea I read this last night. I do watch The Flash, and maybe it's just cause I don't really like her character that I don't want her to play Buffy. I don't think her acting is great, but she's not bad. It's nice that she's a big fan of the show, but maybe she could be like a supporting character then. I've seen her as a superhero on Flash so I'll pass.

redtent

Townie
So, is it a reboot or sequel now? One time they talk about, how there is going to be a new slayer, next time it's still a reboot? But I'll watch it anyway.

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
Looks like my reservations are pretty much the same as everyone else's so far.
Thinks she's okay but maybe not leading star great.
And even though I was surprised over how young she appears in the Flash compared to Black Sails so might it be a bit of a stretch to appear as a high school student.

Not even sure if being a super duper fan of the original show is the best way to approach a reboot either.

/SK

Btvs fan

Scooby

They could set it in College. I mean seriously aren't you tired of the High school trope. High school means F all in real life anyway 🤷‍♂️

A reboot just so Joss can make some more money from the gullible, I'll give it a miss thanks.

Willow Tara

Grr Argh - aka WhedonverseFan
Sineya
Have only seen very few episodes of the Flash, I liked her in it so far. And I love it that Jessica is a Buffy fan :D And I would be okay if she had the main role in the show, if it wasn't Buffy!!!
Didn't Monica Owusu Breen or whatever her name was (sorry too lazy to look it up) I guess you all know who I mean... Didn't she say there could only be one Buffy, one Willow etc? And that they are NOT doing a reboot?!? But a new, black Slayer?
I'd be okay if Jessica would play that character, haven't seen anything of her so far that convinced me she's a bad actress or anything. But honestly, so far I could accept anyone else too, as long as their acting is good. I just don't want a new Buffy!!!!!!!

Though whatever they do, I'll watch it anyways. Cause JOSS WHEDON and BUFFYYYYY!!!!!!

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
unfortunately they did say something bout it being new slayer

Spanky

Black Thorn
I mean seriously aren't you tired of the High school trope.
But that's the target demographic. And especially - unless they completely change canon - for the story of Buffy it makes ton more sense to be in the high school setting.

Btvs fan

Scooby
But that's the target demographic. And especially - unless they completely change canon - for the story of Buffy it makes ton more sense to be in the high school setting.
Buffy had 4 years outside of high school and that's not counting the spin off

And how do you know that's the demographic, it seems like they are going for the nostalgia market more than anything

NileQT87

Billowy Coat, King of Pain
Slayers are called as teenagers, not as adults. It's highly unlikely, if not impossible, for Slayers to be called past their 18th birthdays. The Cruciamentum wouldn't be a thing if adults could be called.

Any new Slayer spinoff has to be a high school story in the first seasons. It's only an adult story if you want to completely skip being called and how that was dealt with.

Right now, I would be looking at actors who are in the 15-22 tops range (given the show's production is likely a few years away). Anything above that and you get into the Grease-level casting of Charisma, Nick and the cast of 90210 looking way too old to be in high school. Let's not do any more late-20s-heading-for-30 teenagers.

Btvs fan

Scooby
Slayers are called as teenagers, not as adults. It's highly unlikely, if not impossible, for Slayers to be called past their 18th birthdays. The Cruciamentum wouldn't be a thing if adults could be called.

Any new Slayer spinoff has to be a high school story in the first seasons. It's only an adult story if you want to completely skip being called and how that was dealt with.

Right now, I would be looking at actors who are in the 15-22 tops range (given the show's production is likely a few years away). Anything above that and you get into the Grease-level casting of Charisma, Nick and the cast of 90210 looking way too old to be in high school. Let's not do any more late-20s-heading-for-30 teenagers.
We've already seen that crap, why do we need to see it again ?

Spanky

Black Thorn
We've already seen that crap, why do we need to see it again ?
Some people like that crap. Some people consider that crap their favorite parts of the series. I think new fans would rather watch her progress and grow as a slayer than jump into it when she is an adult slayer having missed her formative years.

B
Btvs fan
People liked the Cruciamentum plot 😳

vznspike

Townie
I was starting to be ok with the idea of the reboot, as it was going to be different characters, not the same ones played by different actors!!
I don't know who this girl is but after reading the interview I certainly don't want her to be Buffy! She sounds as stereotypical as they come, Buffy is an inspiration to as all but if this is the attitude it inspires I have really misread it.

Plus a super fan shouldn't play the character it's unhealthy I don't see how it couldn't get to your head, and her head seems pretty big as it is already

-too upset to form coherent thoughts-

B
Btvs fan
She's basically a generic Hollywood actress. Very much by the numbers
Top Bottom