• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Jessica Parker Kennedy wants to play Buffy in the reboot

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Maybe she could play Buffy's mom (sounds like a song). :oops:
Thought it was funny when the writer said they were mostly known from The Flash. Never seen it. However (like @Blaze) I knew her from Black Sails.

Spanky
Spanky
Buffy's mom has got it going on.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I was starting to be ok with the idea of the reboot, as it was going to be different characters, not the same ones played by different actors!!
I don't know who this girl is but after reading the interview I certainly don't want her to be Buffy! She sounds as stereotypical as they come, Buffy is an inspiration to as all but if this is the attitude it inspires I have really misread it.

Plus a super fan shouldn't play the character it's unhealthy I don't see how it couldn't get to your head, and her head seems pretty big as it is already
I completely agree with this. I don't know who this girl is, having never watched The Flash or Black Sails, but this interview makes her sound so full of herself. I don't want her being Buffy either.

Also I think the writer on this series assured fans it would be different characters because it had met so much resistance from fans of the original if it was going to be the same characters (though that doesn't necessarily mean it won't be the same characters in all but name).

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Well, maybe the Producers have caught JK Rowling Syndrome, where Buffy was never explicitly said to be white. Maybe she was always written as black, you never know. ;-). Buffy has never had an older sister, she's either been an older sister or an only child. I suppose she could play an older sister, of ambiguous age, or an aunt. Family is one of those things the series never really touched, and it's a way black people differ from white people.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
Well, maybe the Producers have caught JK Rowling Syndrome, where Buffy was never explicitly said to be white. Maybe she was always written as black, you never know. ;-). Buffy has never had an older sister, she's either been an older sister or an only child. I suppose she could play an older sister, of ambiguous age, or an aunt. Family is one of those things the series never really touched, and it's a way black people differ from white people.
I would argue that Buffy was always more about social commentary, so Buffy being a person of color in the reboot would actually make a lot of sense based on the current political climate. The whole point of Buffy being the white blonde girl to begin with was to start with a stereotype and flip it on its head. Now that we have plenty of cute white heroine that turns out to be a badass, I think it's only fitting that Buffy now takes the lead and gives us something new once again.

Holden Webster
Holden Webster
Well said!

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Re: Casting a middle aged woman to play Buffy '21 would be absurd. Almost as absurd than casting her to play middle aged Buffy '96 in a revival, and defending the choice to cast a middle aged black actress as Giselle Loren's most famous role on the grounds of "who said she wasn't black?" Which is a similar answer JK Rowling gave regarding casting a black actress for Hermoine in a stage play, rather than say something reasonable like, "Casting in theater works differently that casting in film, film is trying to create an immersive experience, whereas theatre is watching men on a stage pretend to be wizards." Absurd. To be serious for a moment, I agree. Buffy '21 should be as different from Buffy '96 as possible.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Is there any evidence that the Buffy reboot is anything other than vapourware? They have chosen Monica Owusu-Breen to write a few episodes. Is there any evidence that anything else is proceeding? Has she come up with anything yet? Have any TV or cable channels offered to pick up the new Buffy? Before we get into casting, there has to be a show to cast which means a lot of money has been spent. So far, I have seen nothing indicating that anyone is going forward with this other than the hiring of a writer on development money and if that had happened, there would have been some news in the trades already.

A
AlphaFoxtrot
IMHO I suspect Fox was trying to inflate it's value during the Disney sale. But that's just a hunch.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
Re: Casting a middle aged woman to play Buffy '21 would be absurd. Almost as absurd than casting her to play middle aged Buffy '96 in a revival, and defending the choice to cast a middle aged black actress as Giselle Loren's most famous role on the grounds of "who said she wasn't black?" Which is a similar answer JK Rowling gave regarding casting a black actress for Hermoine in a stage play, rather than say something reasonable like, "Casting in theater works differently that casting in film, film is trying to create an immersive experience, whereas theatre is watching men on a stage pretend to be wizards." Absurd. To be serious for a moment, I agree. Buffy '21 should be as different from Buffy '96 as possible.
Casting a middle age woman as the Slayer indeed does not make sense because of the mythology and lore associated with the Slayer. Casting a black woman as the Slayer, nothing wrong with that, and actually supports what Buffy was always about, empowering women.

Holden Webster
Holden Webster
It adds race as a new dimension to Buffy's character alongside gender and youth. I think it's a very good choice.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Sineya and Nikki are black slayers who have already appeared in the series so there is no racial divide here. The first slayer we saw Spike kill was oriental so all races are represented and the potentials included black (Rhona), Hispanic (Kennedy) and oriental (Chao-An) so there is no race that is off limits. But the slayer must always be subjected to the cruciamentum so she must be called before the age of 18. Are we going to see the slayer be chosen or are they going to drop us into the middle of the story after age 18?

B
Btvs fan
The Crucismentum was the dumbest plotline ever, i hope they dont use that again

Btvs fan

Scooby
Lol Buffy was a single child until Joss decided he'd give her a sister. At the time it was his way of dealing with Buffy being perceived as self involved by having her care for someone else. That way was easier than giving her development.

The race thing is a touchy subject because the show itself has done some pretty racist things even by the standards of the time. Whether it was Kendra and her Jar Jar accent or Buffy mocking The First Slayers Hair in Restless to Get it done and the whole racist trope used there 😡

So Joss is combining guilt and greed at the same time by thinking lets do a Buffy reboot but with a Black Slayer 🤷‍♂️

Casting a middle age woman as the Slayer indeed does not make sense because of the mythology and lore associated with the Slayer. Casting a black woman as the Slayer, nothing wrong with that, and actually supports what Buffy was always about, empowering women.
Most of the cast in Buffy were in there 20's anyway. Charisma was 28 when she was cast as16 year old Cordelia. Sarah was actually the youngest at 19.

As for race well when you see articles like this from News networks you know it's still a problem 🤷‍♂️

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
I just hope having an actress publicly say she is interested in the project gets the ball rolling and a reboot is actually made.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I just hope having an actress publicly say she is interested in the project gets the ball rolling and a reboot is actually made.
Have not others said they were interested? I seem to recall. Or at least I thought they did.

brinkster130
brinkster130
Yes, but it seems to have quieted down. This is bringing attention to it again.
Top Bottom