1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Joan And Randy

Discussion in 'Season 6' started by white avenger, Jul 28, 2017.

1. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

Assuming that the crystal had never been broken and their memories had never been restored, do you think, with no memories of their past lives, Joan and Randy could have become a couple, even without Randy having a soul? And that is COULD, not necessarily WOULD.

2. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy BFF of Sour Patch Kid

Sineya
    Joan and Randy were cute in their few scenes together and I certainly don't think Joan would've killed Randy because she wasn't too bothered by him as long as he was fighting along her side. But the problem is, to someone with no memories, the idea of human falling in love with a vampire or visa versa seems a little insane. The two would have understood that and may not have even considered each other in a romantic sense. However I do think they would have stuck together as allies.

3. GoSpuffy

GoSpuffy Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer

Black Thorn
    Absolutely! I think the point of that episode was to show the truth. Dawn and Buffy were sisters no matter what. Anja was not going to stay with Xander. Giles was flying away no matter what. Tara and Willow had deep problems. But Joan and randy? They were meant to partner up and kill that evil.

4. Fool for Buffy

Sineya
    Actually this makes more sense. I hadn't realized everything was so symbolic for real life. I think I'm gonna change my response and agree with this.

Puppet and GoSpuffy like this.
  5. Athena

Athena Belinda Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I think they could, because as far as Joan and Randy are concerned, there's no history between them and nothing to stand in their way. Jandy could very well be the Bangel of that universe ;)

GoSpuffy: Don't you mean the S10/S11 spuffy of that universe!
  6. Priceless

Priceless I didn't forget y'know

Joan and Randy would have been perfect together. There's no baggage there, just two people who work so well together from the first moment they meet. Randy wants to do good and fight evil and he's happy to accept Joan as the leader. Joan is already relying on Randy to fight by her side and is pretty accepting of his vampirism. I see a long and loving future for those crazy kids

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Theycallmejen, Puppet, TriBel and 3 others like this.
  7. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Joan and Randy would've been a lot healthier relationship than Season 6 Spuffy.

Puppet: Just about any relationship woulda been healthier than S6 Spuffy, and this from a Spuffy shipper! x)
    Puppet, TriBel and GraceK like this.
  8. Athena

Athena Belinda Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I did actually mean Bangel, because for Joan and Randy, Angel would never have actually existed to them, so the whole slayer/vampire/virginity/first love thing would be just for Jandy :D

9. white avenger

This is pretty much my feeling in the matter, and why I consider now myself to be a Jandy shipper, with Spuffy as being just the closest thing to it in the "real" world. With Joan and Randy, there is no Angel, Riley or Drusilla, no past as mortal enemies, or even as adversaries. Jandy has all of the good elements that shippers found so appealing in Bangel, with none of the dark past, curse, guilt, or shame that eventually manifested itself in that relationship. With no past, either shared or separate, everything was new and fresh, with nothing to stand in the way of their happiness, not even interfering friends or an overprotective Watcher.

Puppet and Priceless like this.
  10. Dora

Dora Potential

I think Buffy would have ended up the loan sharks Moll , at least that Demon had money unlike Spike.....although he somehow managed to by Blood, alcohol and Cig's mind you he saved on shirts......

11. white avenger

I always thought that Spike probably had a small cache of gems and such from the chamber where he found the Ring of Amara. That would explain his apparent financial independence. Whenever he needed money, he would play for kittens, run errands for Willie, or rob people in back alleys, but if his luck was bad, he would pawn a ring, broach, gold cup, or whatever. He seemed to have a rather Spartan lifestyle in Sunnydale, so he could have made just a few dozen good items last for quite awhile

Puppet likes this.
  12. GoSpuffy

Black Thorn
    As much as I love Joan and Randy they can never replace Spike and Buffy as my number one ship. Yes, they don't have the history weighing them down but they don't have the journey leading them together. Joan and Randy prove that Spike and Buffy have something even without everything they went through in order to build their relationship. The thing that makes Spike/Buffy appealing is how they transformed through a series of events over many years to be each others true love.

Priceless likes this.
  13. flow

flow Will you just hold me ?

Joan does not accept Randys vampirism. She runs away, after she finds out, he is a vampire. And she is not convinced, Randy can do good and fight the evil. She thinks his thoughts on that topic are pretty lame.

I think we see in Joan and Randy exactly the Spuffy relationship we get just a couple of episodes later. They have all the baggage, that Spike and Buffy have. Still they are mutual attracted to each other (he is maybe more attracted to her than she is to him) and as we can see in the fight scenes they are well matched. We see the beauty of Spuffy in Joan and Randy.

Flow

14. GoSpuffy

Black Thorn
    Joan is only afraid of Randy for a moment. After they realize he is a noble vampire, perhaps with a soul, she is still happy to sit on his lap while he lays on the ground.

Priceless likes this.
  15. GraceK

GraceK Grr Arrg

Honestly I always found it interesting that "Randy" had no urge to do evil . His first instinct was to assume he was GOOD guy, a hero. Even when he found out he was a demon he just thought he was a noble demon. :) I think that honestly says a lot about who Spike really is at his core.

Also, I totally ship Jandy :)

flow: Good point !
    Puppet, Priceless and GoSpuffy like this.
  16. Dora

Dora Potential

As far as we are aware Spike never gave Buffy any financial help at all , he said he could at Double meat Palace .... it would probably have meant Buffy losing her independence and probably living in his Crypt on hand for him to have sex when ever he wanted.... being his Whore
    Mind you the reel culprit is Giles , Buffy got him is job back with the Watchers with back pay, and he just walked out on her when she needed it most

17. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Spike would not expect Buffy to live in his crypt nor be his whore. He offers to help Buffy financially and Buffy turns him down, that is her choice. Buffy does not want to rely on Spike too much, she's too conflicted over her feelings for him. You're automatically assuming the worst of Spike.

18. TriBel

TriBel Scooby

Tabula Rasa is a concept most commonly associated with the philosopher John Locke (An Essay concerning Human Understanding). It's one of the ideas that inform our understanding of the child - the "nurture" side of the Nature/Nurture debate: the idea that children are born a blank slate and it's their experience of the world and how they're raised that'll determine how they turn out. Locke believed morality could be taught. So yes, it's feasible that if the Scoobies have no preconceived ideas about the evilness of vampires and if they find a way of dealing with the fact that Spike needs blood, then Spike and Buffy could become a couple without him being ensouled (he already thinks of himself as having morals - of being noble and different from than the other vamps). The nature side of the debate includes the idea of the Romantic Child (children are born innocent and are corrupted by society - it seems to me that this idea (akin to the noble savage) feeds into the anti-slayer campaign of S8 (?) that Harmony initiates) and the Puritan or Evil Child (children are born evil and it's the parents' right and obligation the beat the evil out of them - seems to be the position taken by the Watchers' Council - and the Scoobies)

It's perhaps wise to take the above with a pinch of salt - my own kids will attest to the fact that I know nothing about childrearing. However, I'm happy to put my money where my mouth is and test the theory by exchanging my youngest child (and one of my twins - I have a spare) for James Marsters. :)
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 31, 2017 ---
    Hmm...bit of a conceptual leap there. Is there evidence to support it? In addition, hasn't Giles given her money (from the sale of his house)? If you're going to commodify all human relationships then Giles has paid his due. Here's some financial advice for Buffy (as I recall, she asked Spike if he knew anything about finance while they were spending a nice cosy moment together looking at the stars).

Stop buying damned clothes.
    Tell your sister to get a Saturday job.
    Charge your friends rent.
    Have a garage sale
    Get Xander to convert the house into flats (do you need that much space?).
    Stop eating takeaways (and I don't just mean from DMP).
    Charge people for slaying (Ben had a calling to be a doctor - he didn't do it for free).

Also, as a woman, I really object to the fact that women who choose not to work and live with their partner are whores on tap for sex.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 31, 2017 ---
    Oh God - I can't navigate this damned site!

GOSPUFFY - I'll throw in both twins. I thought people would judge me harshly if I traded all my children. I can raise the stakes with a couple of kittens (The kittens is a lie). :)

FLOW - Aren't you in the Eurozone? What's the exchange rate? And no - I've had mine longer than you - my sacrifice is far greater. :mad:

GoSpuffy: lol - is that all it takes to trade for James? Good deal!
    flow: Can I outbid you ?
  19. Dora

Dora Potential

Buffy could have done lots of jobs , how about a female doorman for instant, teaching marshal arts ,no they had to give her the most mean-able job in Buffy realm, fast foods ..... remember sausage on a stick
    As for Giles when did he stop being her watcher, all the time Buffy was in heaven they were using the Buffy bot with Spikes help , how would the council Know / so he was still collecting money from them, he knew her circumstances he was a complete selfish Arse abandoning her People rave over Tubula Rasa but if you take the whole Magic = Drugs that means they were drugged , if Spike and Buffy had got together under the influence of Drugs what is that signalling ? its OK to date rape , but of coarse Whedon thinks it is , the was no repercussions for dead things
    Object to woman who chose not to work living off there partners as being wrong , so do I but Buffy was not dealing with a human she is dealing with a demon, SPIKE IS NOT HUMAN he wants sex with Buffy , what else does he want Buffy fore ? what use is she to him in any other way ? What else would he do with Buffy if she went into the dark with him and live in his crypt ? go out for pick nicks , Shopping at the Mall ,take Dawn to School , he only ever wanted one thing from Buffy ....the thing better than killing a slayer is to f...Spikes words

20. Fool for Buffy

Sineya
    Buffy and Spike were not under the influence of any sort of drug. I don't understand where that came from. Certainly Whedon doesn't think it's okay to date rape, as he clearly projects rape as one of the most violent and horrible evil things to ever occur on Buffy. Dead Things makes Warren basically the most hated character ever because of that action, which Joss clearly did intentionally. As for "what else does Spike want Buffy for", the answer is companionship, acceptance, a purpose, love, devotion, a second chance, and a whole lot of other things besides sex. As for a fast food job, it takes the least experience and training and she needed something with flexible hours. Also can you split posts up more into sentences? I'm really not trying to be rude, it's just hard to read. If English is not your first language I apologize.

Puppet, DeadlyDuo and GoSpuffy like this.