• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Jumping ship?

nightshade

Watcher
Staff member
Black Thorn
Is there a ship that during your first watch through ( or more) that you loved and supported but over time (and rewatches) you changed your mind about?

I loved Tillow in the beginning, now I'm not sure that actually they were that good for each other. I feel that Willow grew more positively before Tara.

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
For Willow, a good relationship means there will likely be a breakdown once that relationship starts to fall apart. I think Will learned her lesson in S6, but when Tara was so violently killed and Buffy was not there to help her, she had a sudden relapse.

I spend S3 in the lifeboat of the Bangel cruise ship. I come back up for Amends and Graduation Day. When we get to the AtS episodes, I get on my flippers and swim back to shore to the safety of Tillow.

Spanky

Sir Spanks-a-lot
Black Thorn
The only two ships I used to ship: Bangel and Briley I have stopped shipping. I only shipped when I became part of 'fandom' because 'fandom' really seemed all about shipping and felt I had to ship something to belong. I've since seen the error of my ways. All of the relationships were just horribly written and very unrealistic. Except for maybe Parker and Buffy, that really felt true to me.

I loved Tillow in the beginning, now I'm not sure that actually they were that good for each other.
They call that finally seeing the light. Willow was as bad for Tara as Tara was for Willow.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
I shipped Xander and Cordelia on the first watch, but upon rewatching I was pretty disappointed in how both of them treated each other. It wasn't cute anymore, it was flat out rude. Xander and Anya is much better for me now.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
I used to really not mind Buffy/Riley, even finding it sweet at times. These days I mostly think Riley's a douche and Buffy can do much better.

I never shipped Wes/Fred as much as Fred/Gunn, but when I first watched AtS I thought they were at least cute and I got sucked in by the tragedy of A Hole In The World. Now I just want to set Wes and his creepy, obsessive, stalkery feelings on fire and will never stop being salty over Fred/Gunn being decimated to make way for him.

I used to love Willow/Tara, but these days Willow's actions in Season 6 make it much harder for me to enjoy the ship, although I do still find its early days cute.

Mrs Gordo

No one ever mattered. Not like she did.
Black Thorn
Tara/Willow - I used to really like them, on re-watch I don't think they were all that good together. I think they cared deeply for each other but I'm not so sure that they brought out the best for each other. Maybe they needed a break and some growth and then they would be ready for each other. I used to be very gung-ho about them though.

Puppet

Watch your Fatone!
Black Thorn
I agree with @MarieVampSlayer on Xander/Anya. I see it much differently now and just feel bad for both of them that they got stuck in a relationship that wasn't right for either of them.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
Yeah, both could've done better than each other. Too bad Xander is a demon magnet and Anya is an idiot.
MarieVampSlayer
MarieVampSlayer
Thanks! Gorgeous avatar btw!!!

Spanky

Sir Spanks-a-lot
Black Thorn
I agree with @MarieVampSlayer on Xander/Anya. I see it much differently now and just feel bad for both of them that they got stuck in a relationship that wasn't right for either of them.
I disagree. The relationship was great for Xander. If not for Anya I don't think he ever would have grown up and become an adult.

All my favorite ships are non-canon. Though I did ship Xander/Willow before I fell hard for Spander.

I've never shipped anyone so I never had to jump ship. No life boats or vests needed for me, yay. And I definitely avoided the iceberg, also known as Joss Whedon, this way.

I gotta disagree with you on this point. Icebergs by their very nature are inherently cool. I would say you avoided the Hindenburg known as Joss Whedon... ie, he's big, bloated and full of hot air.
I think the Titanic would disagree on icebergs being cool.

Professor Walsh

Feminist slayerette
Black Thorn
Come on! If not for the iceberg Titanic would just be Leonardo DiCaprio running around screaming about his being king of the world. The iceberg is the only thing that saved that movie!
Instead we have Leonardo DiCaprio running around acting as if he is king of the world.