• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Just watched S4 for the first time... WTF?

Lovetheearth

Townie
Hello. I'm a long time fan of Buffy; have watched it several times over the last 20 years. Watched Angel 1 - 3 about 18/19 years ago, but mostly forgot it. Now re-watching it (and in the case of S4, newly-watching) having re-watched Buffy in lockdown 1.0. Have just finished S4 and I am honestly so confused. If they don't remember Connor, then what happened in S4 that they do remember? I suppose it'll be explained in S5? (No spoilers please, our lockdown is sticking around).

I must admit, I've found the Angel seasons difficult to follow. Maybe it's partly because I'm watching it on a streaming service, so I don't know what each episode is called as it just plays the next one, but I find myself having to Google the episodes to remember when Pylea happened, or when such and such happened. It feels like each season has several plot arcs? I now also can't remember when Cordelia started to change for the worse vs when she was kicking ass. The episode where the alternative plot happened, when the shaman tried to kill Angel and then they went to find the sword, felt like such a relief after hours of wanting it to go back to how it was. Does the last episode of S4 mean there'll be some kind of similar scouring effect, to get back to some semblance of before (sans Cordelia and based in W&H)?

I've read about Charisma's pregnancy, but aside from that, what happened this series? Are the writers suggesting that Cordelia's destiny as vessel for Jasmine was plotted from Doyle's exit? What about the prophecy about Angel turning human then? Feels like an "it was all a dream" ending, if so.

I just didn't really feel invested in the world of Angel by the end of S4. It didn't feel neat. I liked how in Buffy the apocalypses never really spilled out into the whole city's population until S7. I don't understand how Connor got from talking down the policeman from suicide to becoming a bomb-setting mastermind? It's just left us with so many questions - and not in a philosophical way!

Do we carry on to S5?

Feigenbunny
Feigenbunny
You seriously need to watch season 5. its so good.

Wesxfred

You know what they say about payback...
This is actually my favourite season of Angel, but I agree that it is really confusing. I've rewatched this season so many times tho and honestly, I still get confused on what is going on. The episode 'Inside out' explains most of what has happened in the series, but they basically just say that events, such as Lorne leaving Pylea and Wesley sleeping with Lilah, was all because of Jasmine. I think they just did this because they had loads of loose plot holes and needed to tie them up somehow.

This is still my favourite season tho and I really loved all the plot twists - I posted about it a few weeks back
Question - Was Season 4 really that bad?

Also, DEFINATELY WATCH SEASON 5!!! - This is many peoples favourite season and I'm sure you'll love it @Lovetheearth!

Lovetheearth

Townie
Thanks. Good to hear we weren't the only confused ones! Ah, the engineered fates feel like a bit of a cop out then. Shame! There's something disappointing in characters' free will being taken away, isn't there. Or is that the whole point...?

I did feel tense throughout this season, to be fair. But I suppose I wished the ending provided a better (IMO) catharsis for that tension.

Have also found the individual episode threads which I'm perusing - helps to read Minnear's commentary.

Thanks again - will watch S5 :)

Priceless

Scooby
Do we carry on to S5?
Yes! Many people think Season 5 is the best season, so give it a go. It might not be what you expect, but it's got a lot going for it and it radically changes direction from where we leave season 4, which I agree is very much a cop out.

Would love to hear what you think of Season 5 when you get there.

Faded90

Scooby
I think the mindwipe retcons a lot of S3/4 and dug the writers out of a hole they’d put themselves into with Connor and to a lesser extent Wes. I think they remember Jasmine and Cordy being ‘pregnant’ and not a lot else from S4

Lovetheearth

Townie
I see... Well that is almost like eradicating the Cordelia character arc of her maturing? Huge shame. Will come back post-S5. Thanks for all your thoughts.

Top Bottom