• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Kennedy appreciation thread

Scooby Corps

Fly! Be free, little bird, you defy category!
I appreciate and like Kennedy's loyalty to Willow which pleasantly reminded me of Oz ("Where Willow goes, goes my nation"). Also how she's just really into her as a human being.

I like how she's a lot like Buffy in S01 without protagonist privilege and much less POV and how, consequently, her portrayal shows how such things can affect fan's perceptions and judgments of fictional characters in general.

W

WillowFromBuffy

I don't think we need a resident Kennedy basher, but those of you who feel we do, and who have taken it upon yourself to fill that role with passion and zeal, please, give it a rest when we explicitly ask you to.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I don't think we need a resident Kennedy basher, but those of you who feel we do, and who have taken it upon yourself to fill that role with passion and zeal, please, give it a rest when we explicitly ask you to.
Nobody has said we "need" a "resident Kennedy basher", and believe it or not I don't go searching for mentions of Kennedy just to bash her, it's if I come across a post about Kennedy that I disagree with that I respond. Obviously a thread about loving Kennedy is not one I'm going to be frequenting a lot (though I've been in this one a lot more than I thought I would be in order to defend myself).

For the umpteenth time, the post was a joke based upon me being known to not like Kennedy. No harm was meant by it and there is nothing in the post itself that is really inflammatory.

I think the reaction to it has been overblown and unnecessary when a simple ignoring would've sufficed if it really was that misplaced. Again, no harm was meant by it.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
As someone neutral to Kennedy who has debated you in that she's not THAT bad (and thinks posters here have made some good points about her), I "heard" the joking tone in your first post and saw it as a harmless joke & affectionate teasing.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
She is cute, in a vaguely ethnic way. Like how women feel about Leonard Nimoy, I reckon. And aside from a relationship that, well, I guest somebody wanted, she doesn't really know the show is called "Buffy," it's just some girl she just met and a couple of her friends who just won't die. And she is willing to admit that odds of six against one are in her favor, when six include a giant dog and two teenage boys, and the fight is always with an old man dressed as a ghost.

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
I think people go way overboard with the "Kennedy bullied Chloe into committing suicide" thing. It drives me crazy. We have evidence that Kennedy said ONE mean thing to Chloe. Chloe didn't even know what Kennedy meant by "give me 20," so we have no reason to believe she singled her out before that, and Chloe killed herself on the same day, so there was no pattern of behavior at all. The entire thing happened in full view of Buffy, and she had the opportunity to call Kennedy on it and she didn't.

I think The First is responsible for Chloe's suicide. She was a scared young girl being tortured by the same entity that convinced a 200-plus-year-old vampire who survived 100 years in hell to wait for the sunrise. We have no idea who The First appeared to Chloe as. It could have been a deceased parent, for example.

That's more "Kennedy defense" than "Kennedy appreciation," sorry. I do like Kennedy for the most part, and I think she shows us that the Potentials' situation really was so unfair. They were chosen but mostly powerless, both physically and in the "General Buffy" hierarchy. They weren't "recruits," as Buffy says. Kennedy embraced her potential, but chafed at the lack of ability to shape her own destiny.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think people go way overboard with the "Kennedy bullied Chloe into committing suicide" thing. It drives me crazy. We have evidence that Kennedy said ONE mean thing to Chloe. Chloe didn't even know what Kennedy meant by "give me 20," so we have no reason to believe she singled her out before that, and Chloe killed herself on the same day, so there was no pattern of behavior at all. The entire thing happened in full view of Buffy, and she had the opportunity to call Kennedy on it and she didn't.
I don't think Kennedy bullied Chloe into committing suicide but I do think calling her "maggot" and publicly humiliating her by making her do push ups in front of the other potentials did help contribute it, kind of in a "straw that broke the camel's back" kind of way. So it wasn't the main thing that did it but sort of that last little thing that helped push Chloe over the edge. The First basically says so. "Chloe is, sorry was, a good listener. Like when you called her maggot, she really heard that."

Now it could be argued the First is lying since it's the big bad, but why would it lie if the truth was much more hurtful?

Either way, it would've been nice to have seen Kennedy at least reflect on her actions even if the First was lying.

@thrasherpix Thank you :)

Grace
Grace
I have zero desire to argue with you about this in the Kennedy appreciation thread.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Kennedy could have been in on the gravy train of the results of spells and witchcraft but she told Willow she wasn't interested in her ability as a witch, she was simply interested in Willow. There are a lot of people, the scoobies included, who didn't care what the penalty was for Willow, they just wanted spells on demand. Kennedy would not have cared if Willow never did another spell in her life and that would be good for Willow at this juncture.

W

WillowFromBuffy

I am really annoyed at Willow for saying she broke up with Kennedy, because Kennedy only was attracted to super-Willow. There is absolutely no evidence to support this.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
@Grace Fair enough.

I do mean what I say though about how it would've been nice to see Kennedy reflecting on her actions. It would show that she has deeper layers than what is shown onscreen and suggest that perhaps her confrontational behaviour is just a front she uses to stop people seeing that really she is scared of what might happen.

Kennedy could've been like Season 1 Cordelia. Some of the potentials could've been like season 1 versions of the scooby gang which Buffy would recognise and the issues would stem from the fact that she is trying to prepare the potentials for a war that effectively took her seven years to be ready for.

There is a big flaw in the concept of the potential storyline in that they're supposed to be the last few and are heading to Buffy's house for protection, yet there is still millions of potentials in the world for Buffy to turn into a slayer army.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
@Grace Fair enough.

I do mean what I say though about how it would've been nice to see Kennedy reflecting on her actions. It would show that she has deeper layers than what is shown onscreen and suggest that perhaps her confrontational behaviour is just a front she uses to stop people seeing that really she is scared of what might happen.

Kennedy could've been like Season 1 Cordelia. Some of the potentials could've been like season 1 versions of the scooby gang which Buffy would recognise and the issues would stem from the fact that she is trying to prepare the potentials for a war that effectively took her seven years to be ready for.

There is a big flaw in the concept of the potential storyline in that they're supposed to be the last few and are heading to Buffy's house for protection, yet there is still millions of potentials in the world for Buffy to turn into a slayer army.
I think the potentials that were dying were the ones that both the council and the First's agents were finding most easily... and that the 'greater pool of potentials' were probably less detectable (which would explain why Buffy never got discovered...) and it is likely they were the 'less likely to become slayers' and Buffy only won the slayer lottery because of her proximity to the Hellmouth or some other randomness. But... once the spell calls ALL the slayers, pretty much everyone with the slayer 'trait' would get called, maybe even people who were old, ill or even too young...

The slayer activation that activated the 'normal' slayers is much weaker and probably more discriminating. Maybe the Shadow Men found a way to make it stronger in those they were able to discover and make them more likely... More likely, they just discovered the people with the most likely 'magical stamp'.

This is, of course, just my head canon, but this makes sense to me.

I suspect that since the council didn't detect them, we will never know just how many potentials from the 'extended' slayer pool were actually found by the Bringers and got put down as 'random murders' or 'serial killings'. Being magical beings of some kind, the bringers may have had better 'potential radar' than the council, even if it was only slightly better.

Magic always has consequences, eh?

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
I always liked Kennedy. If anything I would consider her to be Commander in Chief #3. Buffy being #1 and Faith being #2. I think she gave Willow what she needed, someone headstrong to keep her in check.

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
I actually liked Kennedy in most episodes except during the mutiny and I think that she came to Willow a little bit too strong for my taste (but I don’t how else she could have done it while having little time to develop a relationship between them).

I especially liked her in “Bring on the night,” she stood up by Buffy’s side in a great way and help shouting down Rona (whom I greatly despise). I also love her in “Get it done,” she’s clearly committed and she’s enjoying her job. Overall, her enthusiasm, compromise and work-ethic as a potential slayer are the things that I really love about her.

Top Bottom