• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Latest DVD Version with No Cropping?

Gibby11

Townie
Basically been interested in this show for a while have no idea if I will like it but love vampire diaries there showing it on my tv but it's remastered hd version and was wondering if the 20 anniversary version on DVD has no cropping or what are the latest version to be out on DVD with no cropping but don't mind if it's wide screen or full screen thanks and can a person tell me what it like like is it similar kind of fill to teen wolf riverdale gossip girl and like cw shows tthanks

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Well it was essentially a CW show, before the CW became that!

Not sure on the dvd issue as I have the ones that came out before HD, but I'm sure someone else will know more.

G
Gibby11
Oh so it was same company and is it similar kind of style to stuff now even if it is outdated a bit and would u say what ta worth finding a version not cropped if I never seen if before

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Oh so it was same company and is it similar kind of style to stuff now even if it is outdated a bit and would u say what ta worth finding a version not cropped if I never seen if before
Not really sure what you mean by not cropped? I've always watched the original version when I can.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Please correct me if I'm wrong Gibby, but I took that to mean when they make it fit a 4:3 tv instead of a 16:9, so they cut off the sides. Like they cut off the letterbox on the top and bottom?

Or reading this again maybe you mean the original versions not edited?

So everyone sees:

Gibby11 said:
Yes on the remastered version they cut off bits on top and bottom so wondering what the latest version or version that fill the whole screen without any cropping thx

G
Gibby11
Yes on the remastered version they cut off bits on top and bottom so wondering what the latest version or version that fill the whole screen without any cropping thx

Priceless

Scooby
If you are in the UK and are watching the show on E4, I can say it is the HD version and the only thing I've really noticed that is different from the original shows/dvds is that lighting. The new version is much lighter and glossier looking. There may be an issue with framing, but it's minor. In one scene, Willow is seated and Buffy is stood and they are talking and the scene chops of the very top of Buffy's head and Willow looks squeezed into the frame. I keep meaning to look at my original dvds to see if the frame is the same, but I haven't yet.

Otherwise, so far, I'd recommend the E4 HD version. I've yet to see a crew member in shot or anything that bad.

G
Gibby11
Thx it's just people say when it's night it looks day and cuts off bit of their face

Gibby11

Townie
If you are in the UK and are watching the show on E4, I can say it is the HD version and the only thing I've really noticed that is different from the original shows/dvds is that lighting. The new version is much lighter and glossier looking. There may be an issue with framing, but it's minor. In one scene, Willow is seated and Buffy is stood and they are talking and the scene chops of the very top of Buffy's head and Willow looks squeezed into the frame. I keep meaning to look at my original dvds to see if the frame is the same, but I haven't yet.

Otherwise, so far, I'd recommend the E4 HD version. I've yet to see a crew member in shot or anything that bad.
I cant add photo or screenshot but go to this link and skip to 9.40 and give it 10 seconds they walk through a door and it highlights how much thx

Thx I appreciate u help

I cant add photo or screenshot but go to this link and skip to 9.40 and give it 10 seconds they walk through a door and it highlights how much thx
What u mean by new or old cropping

Priceless
Priceless
Then yes, there is cropping in the E4 version, but I couldn't guess if it's the new cropping or the old cropping, sorry.

Priceless

Scooby
In PotN's video he mentions there are two different HD versions, with two different sets of cropping. I'm not sure which E4 are showing.

G
Gibby11
Oh sorry didn't hear that I'm looking for one with no cropping thx

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Any HD version out at the moment is going to be a mess. Any complete DVD release in the UK is the same for series content, just different packaging and maybe extras. The UK version shows seasons 1-3 in the original 4:3 ratio and then seasons 4-7 in 16:9.

Dispite not being meant for 16:9 it hasn't been distorted to achieve this. The only way to get the full series in 4:3 is the US releases.

Gibby11

Townie
Any HD version out at the moment is going to be a mess. Any complete DVD release in the UK is the same for series content, just different packaging and maybe extras. The UK version shows seasons 1-3 in the original 4:3 ratio and then seasons 4-7 in 16:9.

Dispite not being meant for 16:9 it hasn't been distorted to achieve this. The only way to get the full series in 4:3 is the US releases.
Hi thanks bit confused basically I want a full screen version not how it was originally made to be but without any picture being cropped so like widespread fill whole screen but with out bottom or top picture footage being cut off a little amount

And what is 20 anniversary shown in

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Hi thanks bit confused basically I want a full screen version not how it was originally made to be but without any picture being cropped so like widespread fill whole screen but with out bottom or top picture footage being cut off a little amount
Seasons 4-7 in the UK releases are in the format you're looking for. Seasons 1-3 weren't shot on the correct film for 16:9. To make it fit for the HD versions being shown they mangled it until squished into the screen. Get a complete UK set, you'll adjust to 4:3.
And what is 20 anniversary shown in
20th Anniversary is just a change of packaging. Get whichever is cheaper or you like the look of.

G
Gibby11
So any boxset are all same quality

Gibby11

Townie
Seasons 4-7 in the UK releases are in the format you're looking for. Seasons 1-3 weren't shot on the correct film for 16:9. To make it fit for the HD versions being shown they mangled it until squished into the screen. Get a complete UK set, you'll adjust to 4:3.

20th Anniversary is just a change of packaging. Get whichever is cheaper or you like the look of.
so there all the samequalitty none of the region 2 box sets have been updated even a little for picture quality since thew show first came out thx

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
so there all the samequalitty none of the region 2 box sets have been updated even a little for picture quality since thew show first came out thx
Sadly that's right. We'd all love a blu ray to be made properly but it seems increasingly unlikely.

Top Bottom