• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

LGBTQ acceptance dropping among Millennials

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
From the AP

Acceptance of the LGBTQ+ community may be eroding among Millennials.

Millennials and the generation who comes after them have long been thought to be not just supportive of LGBTQ+ rights, but accepting of the culture for the most part. A new survey commissioned by LGBTQ+ activist organization GLAAD, though, shows acceptance among 18- to 34-year-olds on the decline.

In 2016, the same survey found 63 percent of 18- to 34-year-olds considered themselves allies, meaning they were either "very" or "somewhat" comfortable with members of the LGBTQ+ community in all situations. That dropped to 45 percent in 2018.

When looking at specific situations like learning a family member is LGBTQ+, their child is in a class with an LGBTQ+ teacher or their doctor is LGBTQ+, a growing number of Millennials describe themselves as uncomfortable. The change was most pronounced among Millennial men.

The survey was conducted online by The Harris Poll from January 8-11, 2019 among 1,970 US adults ages 18 or older, 1,754 of whom self-identified as non-LGBTQ.

Interesting. I too was under the belief that the acceptance was higher that it had been previously. Wonder why it changed in those two years.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
That's part of it, I think, the 'in you face' way that they force it everywhere. Understandable, of course, but some people would get irritated with constant exposure.

Then there's the fact that, like most communities, there are always a minor group of outspoken idiots that make it worse for everyone else. Do you know how many straight people feel insulted by their constant use of the word cis? Like somehow straight people are less because they're straight? Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with all of it, but in the past few years the LGBT community has, much like those annoying SJWs, gotten so loud that the toxic members are being heard, too.

Black Thorn
I think it's because of the culture. Now I am very accepting of LGBT people but I do have my limits. People who identify as genders that aren't male, female (or even neither) just annoy me. I've known people who switch between demi-boy, demi-girl, pangender or whatever all the time and I can't keep up with what they want me to call them so I just began avoiding them. It's where are a lot of the snowflake nonsense with people getting upset over nothing, I think it also goes hand-in-hand with the modern feminist movement who have been seen on many occasions to go way to far (though this is mainly with the social justice warriors) or get upset over ridiculous things. A lot of people I know do not want to be connected with this so generally stay away from both feminism and the LGBT community.
I would probably say I was part of the LGBT community if I didn't want anything to do with it, a lot of my gay, bi and trans friends would agree with me.

Name the Stars

You can't see the stars, love. That's the ceiling.
Black Thorn
That's really sad. I think that may have something to with what is widely known as "Backlash". When a movement (such as civil rights, feminism, LGBTQ rights etc.) gains political/social ground, there is always a wave of hate that tries to snuff out the progress. This backlash is where terms like "feminazi" came from (in the more recent backlash), and farther back things like "bra-burner". People are scared that because other people are getting more rights, it means they will lose theirs.

And as for "annoying" LGBTQ people, and feminists, "annoying" people still deserve rights, and they do not speak for the movement. I just went to pride, and trust me, it was quite lovely. Even if someone is speaking complete nonsense, or are getting upset other trivial things, they are still a human being, that shouldn't be discriminated against because of their sexuality. I am bisexual, and sometimes quite awful. I still am a person. Being an ally doesn't mean liking a group of people, you can't like everyone. It is simply believing that people shouldn't be homeless because of their sexuality.

As for "constant exposure", I don't think that's true at all. Maybe in some places, and during some times, but being a gay/bi/trans person is mostly quite scary. It's not all parades and rainbows. Sometimes it's having a guy harass you and your girlfriend to the point that he threatens to rape both of you. And if someone, an ally, hadn't come up to defend you, well...hopefully he wouldn't have gone through with it. In some countries being gay is illegal. No one is forcing their sexuality on you. They just want rights, and acceptance, like anyone else. They don't need you to love them, just to accept them. I don't think that's a lot to ask.

I also believe that this dropping acceptance of gay people may have something to do with the current internet culture. Being gay, trans or non binary has become a meme, just a giant joke. And sometimes, the fact of the matter is that you don't have to understand what it's like to be LGBTQ. Sometimes you just have to be understanding.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
In the Province of Ontario, a law was passed that made it a criminal offence to refuse to use the gender pronouns preferred by the LGBTQ person you are talking to. It includes the use of "zer" and "zie" as new possessives in the language for people who do not identify with male or female genderseven though they are not in the language. Freedom of speech is of paramount importance to me and the SJW and militant gender Nazis are offensive to my way of thinking, as is anything PC. I have no problem with someone being LGBTQ - this is something they are born with. I do have a problem with the gender studies classes that proclaim there are 327 genders or whatever. There are two genders. There are well-known genetic defects that make some people different.

Name the Stars
Name the Stars
But aren't these classes free speech? Same with people identifying as different genders?

Spanky

Black Thorn
I also believe that this dropping acceptance of gay people may have something to do with the current internet culture.
Do you think internet culture would really have that big of an effect in such a short time span? And wouldn't it have the opposite effect?

Or the better question is what actions of the internet culture are you talking about? The pro or con?

Name the Stars

Black Thorn
In the Province of Ontario, a law was passed that made it a criminal offence to refuse to use the gender pronouns preferred by the LGBTQ person you are talking to. It includes the use of "zer" and "zie" as new possessives in the language for people who do not identify with male or female genderseven though they are not in the language. Freedom of speech is of paramount importance to me and the SJW and militant gender Nazis are offensive to my way of thinking, as is anything PC. I have no problem with someone being LGBTQ - this is something they are born with. I do have a problem with the gender studies classes that proclaim there are 327 genders or whatever. There are two genders. There are well-known genetic defects that make some people different.
In your concept of free speech SJWs and people who do not conform to 2 genders also have a right to freedom of speech. So being PC being offensive to you, is merely the same thing as being non PC (or politically incorrect) being offensive to other people. The difference is only personal preference. Also I think that that law isn't exactly what you think it is.
See attached article
.Bill C-16 – No, its Not about Criminalizing Pronoun Misuse — Mark S. Bonham Centre for Sexual Diversity Studies

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
I always appreciate when someone finds the actual laws being discussed. I'm still not clear on it, but if Jordan Peterson is the one claiming the law is something else then my default position is not to believe him (though he's better than many).

Name the Stars

Black Thorn
Do you think internet culture would really have that big of an effect in such a short time span? And wouldn't it have the opposite effect?

Or the better question is what actions of the internet culture are you talking about? The pro or con?
The cons. This whole thing about "SJWs", and "Libtards". It reduces whole groups to their worst offenses and makes the whole situation sound childish. Also I don't think it's the main reason for the change, just one of many.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
@Name the Stars

There are criminal penalties for people who do not use these new possessives and pronouns. People claiming to be other than binary genders do not have a problem - in Canada and a number of other places, you can identify your gender on a passport as "male", "female" or "other". I don't have a problem with that because people can believe what they want. But when they force me to use compelled terms to address someone, backed by criminal penalties if I don't, that crosses a line.

Name the Stars
Name the Stars
That would be wrong. But the actual bill as stated doesn't actually do that. also, how many people do you know that got criminally charged for missusing pronouns? Hoe many people, on the other hand, misuse pronouns.

Name the Stars

Black Thorn
@Name the Stars

There are criminal penalties for people who do not use these new possessives and pronouns. People claiming to be other than binary genders do not have a problem - in Canada and a number of other places, you can identify your gender on a passport as "male", "female" or "other". I don't have a problem with that because people can believe what they want. But when they force me to use compelled terms to address someone, backed by criminal penalties if I don't, that crosses a line.
That last comment was a MESS of grammar use! Sorry about forcing you to see that... 😂

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
And as for "annoying" LGBTQ people, and feminists, "annoying" people still deserve rights, and they do not speak for the movement.
But the problem is that the annoying parts of feminism (and I don't know if the same is true for LGBT) don't want the same rights that real feminists do; they don't want women and men to be equal, they clearly want it to be women's turn to be 'in charge' and they don't hide it well at all.

Name the Stars

Black Thorn
But the problem is that the annoying parts of feminism (and I don't know if the same is true for LGBT) don't want the same rights that real feminists do; they don't want women and men to be equal, they clearly want it to be women's turn to be 'in charge' and they don't hide it well at all.
That's not feminism. That's straight up misandry. They should stay out of feminism, it's not for them. Feminism is supposed to be for men and women. The name is merely due to the history associated with it. People who hate all men are just sexist idiots, same as men who hate/ discriminate against women. It goes all ways.

Black Thorn
That's not feminism. That's straight up misandry. They should stay out of feminism, it's not for them. Feminism is supposed to be for men and women. The name is merely due to the history associated with it. People who hate all men are just sexist idiots, same as men who hate/ discriminate against women. It goes all ways.
Yes, but if they use the label of feminism, people are going to see them as feminists.

AmberMissy
AmberMissy
They're just vocal (and sometimes violent) extremists. Just like ISIS terrorists are NOT Muslims - they're violent extremists that use the name of the movement / religion as an excuse for their hatred.
It's our responsibility to know the difference.

Spanky

Black Thorn
But could you not then say, for argument sake, that the annoying parts of LGBTism is the instance that everyone use the same vernacular? It's still trying to force your ideals and beliefs onto another and make them behave in a manner you find acceptable.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
In your concept of free speech SJWs and people who do not conform to 2 genders also have a right to freedom of speech. So being PC being offensive to you, is merely the same thing as being non PC (or politically incorrect) being offensive to other people. The difference is only personal preference. Also I think that that law isn't exactly what you think it is.
See attached article
.Bill C-16 – No, its Not about Criminalizing Pronoun Misuse — Mark S. Bonham Centre for Sexual Diversity Studies
The reference to the Ontario Human Rights Commission sounds innocent enough until you realize that the cost of appearing at the commission would be about $250,000 and this commission does not operate by rule of law. Guilt is assumed before the trial starts and evidence doesn't matter. Business owners dread having a minority person walk in the door for a job because if this person does not get the job, the only defence is to hire or already have on staff a different person of the same minority. And yes, refusal to use the preferred pronouns and possessives is still actionable but not like a civil case - the Human Rights Commission sets whatever fines and other penalties it sees fit at its own discretion with no appeal process.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
But could you not then say, for argument sake, that the annoying parts of LGBTism is the instance that everyone use the same vernacular? It's still trying to force your ideals and beliefs onto another and make them behave in a manner you find acceptable.
I'm honestly confused by what you mean; what exactly are you asking?

Spanky

Black Thorn
I'm honestly confused by what you mean; what exactly are you asking?
For instance what @Ethan Reigns is talking about? Being "forced" to use the proper pronouns, etc. Sorry, I don't have that much experience with it and didn't really know how to word it. When I said " that everyone use the same vernacular? It's still trying to force your ideals and beliefs onto another and make them behave in a manner you find acceptable." by using words and phrases they find appealing versus what has been considered the norm.

edit: By you and your I didn't mean LITERALLY you and your. Didn't know if that might have added to the confusion.

Top Bottom