• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Lilah's background

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Where do you think Lilah came from or what she was like before Wolfram and Hart?

She referenced her mother before: " And my mother, who no longer recognizes me, has the best room in the clinic."

but what about the rest of her past?

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
I always thought that Lilah sold her soul to W&H to get her mother help, or at least, the best care facility that money could buy. Which makes it seem like Lilah didn't have a lot growing up.

Much like Lindsey.

We know that Lindsey was from a poor family and had a lot of brothers and sisters, all of which meant that there was no way he was ever going to afford college. Until W&H came along and offered him a deal.

The same could be said of Lilah. If she had nothing, W&H's offer of a glamorous legal career plus help for her sick mother would have looked very tempting. We know that W&H owns her soul, it's the reason why Wesley couldn't release her in 'Home'. So it makes sense to me that she essentially sold herself - body and soul - for a good career and help for her mother.

kittenpoker

Raising penguins in Guam
Sineya
Excellent question!!!!

I don't know how thorough or complete my answer will be given I'm not fully awake yet but I'll give it a whirl.

I think it's a safe assumption to make to say that growing up, she either had an abusive or absent father and that likely she has a history of being mistreated sexually in relationships with men.

I feel that her aim in joining w&h was, like lindsey, to never be in a position where she could be victimized again. However, I feel that while for him, money symbolized power, for her, I think it was power, pure and simple, that she sought.

I see her as someone who learned that the only way to get ahead in life was to shut down emotionally. To become cold and calculating: in other words to be a "viscous bitch". I think she saw this as a survival skill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nightshade
nightshade
love to hear more of your theories when you are fully awake :)

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
What a great thread idea!

Personality-wise, Lilah is driven and ambitious. We know she went to law school, and probably got good grades. I bet she always knew she wanted to be a lawyer. She certainly has the personality to excel as one. She's ruthless and seems to exhibit no morality.

Also, being a women in a male-dominated field, she's had to adapt and "be better and smarter and quicker" then the men she works with, which has motivated her to prove herself. It paid off, and she was placed on the Special Projects Division and lated promoted to Vice President.

Despite her "comfortable" lifestyle, I don't think Lilah was as happy as she claimed, though.

As for how she started working for Wolfram and Hart. My theroy is they're recruited. I doubt they advertise their positions, since what they're doing is illegal. They probobly target law students who have potential. It's obvious that Lilah exhibits sociopathic qualities, like many successful people. She's a compulsive liar, lacks empathy most of the time, and doesn't appear to have any qualms exploiting others for her own gains. She's also incredibly intelligent. I'd argue she's a sociopath.

As for her childhood, I wouldn't be surprised if she had been abused, or at the very least grew up in a troubled family. We know her mother is in a mental hospital, right? It'd be interesting to know what exactly is wrong with her mother and if it happened when Lilah was growing up. As far as I know, Lilah never mentions her father, so maybe she was raised by her mother.

It can be traumatic for children who grow up in families where a parent has a mental illness. They're at risk for developing social and emotional problems.

Also, Lilah is clearly a drinker - I wouldn't be surprised if growing up her mother was an alcoholic.

fauxindigo

Scooby
I tend to think that Lilahs evil ways weren't a result of a traumatic childhood/abusive parents but from being enabled by corrupt/evil parents. She just seemed too in control and happy to be evil for it to have been a fall from grace (like Faith, Willow). The apple never falls too far from the tree. & I can see her parents being wicked lawyers, encouraging their pride & joy daughter to follow in their footsteps. By the way Lilah carries herself (she's so elegant and sophisticated), I imagine she probably came from money (like Kennedy, Lilah is also kind of snobby & entitled).... and aside from her feelings for Wesley, Lilah probably never had reason to see the advantage of fighting the good fight. She had fun being evil and enjoyed the benefits it afforded her. I'm sure she did some wicked deeds in law school with and to her class mates- I'm sure her competitiveness was always lethal.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Lilah was probably a idealist who planned for a career in public interest law, or some other do goodery when her mother was diagnosed with early onset dementia. After evaluating the job offers she received, she went with the business card from the one recruiter who gave her the creeps. She started off in something like Environmental or Labor law, working to help Businesses maintain the advantage over their adversaries. After she proved herself as willing to abandon whatever principles she once had, Holling recruited her for special projects, falling deeper into the darker aspects of the firm.

See, the thing is, the purpose of a satanic bargain is not to buy the soul, it doesn't work that way, you ruin the soul, with deeds so foul the victim damns themself.

Top Bottom