• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Lindsey's Sexuality?

Lindsey McDonald

Spirit Boy
More Lindsey qoutes: to Angel: ''Just when i think ive got you ALL figured out, lover, you show up in a suit''
What? Where! Give me context!

Edit:

littlewilly agrees: well, i addaed the 'lover' bit, but it just reminded me of Lindsey being a closet case. Like impliying he thinks about Angel alot. (damn it, whatsthat ep, is it blood ties or something)
Aww.... But, yeah, pretty much everything he says goes back to Angel.

GATEGOD

Anyanka
Wow, just wow. I couldn't disagree with you more. Lindsey isn't, wasn't and couldn't have been 'gay' on "Angel" I've watched Angel about 5 times more then I've watched Buffy, Lindsey, by far my favorite Wolfram and Hart character, and I didn't see him that way at all. Sorry, I just didn't. Maybe I have my blinders on or something but wasn't he sleeping, in love, and with a girl. Him and Angel was more of a love/hate Good/Bad Arch nemesis thing going on which made them close. Not a I want in your pants vibe..

Lindsey McDonald

Spirit Boy
Wow, just wow. I couldn't disagree with you more. Lindsey isn't, wasn't and couldn't have been 'gay' on "Angel" I've watched Angel about 5 times more then I've watched Buffy, Lindsey, by far my favorite Wolfram and Hart character, and I didn't see him that way at all. Sorry, I just didn't. Maybe I have my blinders on or something but wasn't he sleeping, in love, and with a girl. Him and Angel was more of a love/hate Good/Bad Arch nemesis thing going on which made them close. Not a I want in your pants vibe..
Like I said before, since when does sleeping with a girl rule out a person ever wanting to sleep with a guy? That's a ridiculous assertion to make. I guess Willow isn't, wasn't and couldn't have been 'gay' on "Buffy". (And seriously, what's with the inverted commas?). You didn't see it that way, fine, but the subtext is there.

And then you go on and say him and Angel were a love/hate relationship? Err...yeah, that's what we're getting at. I'll assume you didn't mean that.

Bluebird
Bluebird
I think the subtext is text already, hehe. Angel to Lyndsey: 'I want you.' Needed repeating!:D
J

JenniferAlice

6. His last word is "Angel".
hahahahahaha. I watched the last ep last night. "Not you, it shoulda been Angel". Lindsey says that to Lorne after he shoots him, what kind of sick love is that?? He wants the guy he loves to kill him, quite sweet really...(?)

Kemy

Annoyed Enby
When you think about it, to Lindsey at least, it is kinda of like when the guy sends his best friend around to dump the person instead of doing it himself.

L
Lindsey McDonald
Lol, text dumpage! Poor Lindsay.

GATEGOD

Anyanka
I think you guys are seeing what you want to see, that is my opinion :p

They were arch nemesis not secret goo goo eyed lovers.

Lindsey McDonald

Spirit Boy
I think you guys are seeing what you want to see, that is my opinion :p

They were arch nemesis not secret goo goo eyed lovers.
Nobody's saying that they were actually in love. Well, Spoons is, but since when do we listen to her? Eh, Spoony? :silly:

Anyway, did you ever think it might be you that's seeing what you want to see? Knowing Joss and his love of making every second character sexually ambiguous, combined with Lindsey's body language throughout and seemingly carefully worded throwaway dialogue, it's not at all a stretch to interpret the character that way. But that's what subtext is, by definition. It can be seen in different ways. You can't rule out this one, even if you don't see it that way. If you do, then you really are only seeing what you want to see.
[br][/br]
Edit:
[br][/br]
SpoonsAreCool agrees: nah Angel didnt love Lindsey, but I think Lindsey had a sick little crush on Angel, nothing wrong with that though. I think it's possible to love and hate someone at the same time.
Oh, that's right, start making sense now...

T

T.I.P

^^ OMFG, its official now. Man, he had to be lustin after Angel, just look at that pic.
He does look kinda gay in that pic, and i think he knows full well what he's doin.

J

JenniferAlice

Oh yeah, he's well up for it, the cheeky devil. Just look at those eyes, they're only for his man, Angel.

Veyron

Scooby
Black Thorn
Lindsey's relationship with Angel regarding sexuality is blurry at best - yes, as has been stated many times there were sexual overtones between the two on numerous occassions; personally I think that they're both bi-sexual or bi-curious on Lindsey's part because we know Angel has had a sexual experience with Spike at least once - the reference coming from the episode "The Girl In Question".

Schillaci

Scooby
I dont think it was the girl in question, Angel and Spike partaking in a sexual experience together does not mean either of them are gay or bisexual, they could simply be referring to a 3 some with a girl, and there are no "sexual overtones" (whatever the hell that means) between Lindsey and Angel.

Subtext is something that is inserted into a script...(ooh I used the word inserted, this sentence must have some sexual undercurrent to it.. right??), deliberatley by the writer to subtly tell a story or piece of information.

Subtext is not something that can be interpreted in different ways. Suggesting that Lindsey wanted to know Angel intimately is not interpretating subtext, its called making things up. Its not part of the story, it never has been.

Lindsey McDonald

Spirit Boy
I dont think it was the girl in question, Angel and Spike partaking in a sexual experience together does not mean either of them are gay or bisexual, they could simply be referring to a 3 some with a girl, and there are no "sexual overtones" (whatever the hell that means) between Lindsey and Angel.

Subtext is something that is inserted into a script...(ooh I used the word inserted, this sentence must have some sexual undercurrent to it.. right??), deliberatley by the writer to subtly tell a story or piece of information.

Subtext is not something that can be interpreted in different ways. Suggesting that Lindsey wanted to know Angel intimately is not interpretating subtext, its called making things up. Its not part of the story, it never has been.
Well, fine, perhaps "subtext" isn't the correct word, but if you are trying to say that character motivation and dialouge cannot be interpreted in different ways, then that's just ridiculous. If that's the case, what the hell are we all doing here?

Schillaci

Scooby
Hey, mate, If my last post seemed a bit harsh.. then good. Subtext, it feels like, has become my own personal cross to bear. I actually hate the word so much now because it is so misused so often, mostly be people that can't reasonably prove a point they're trying to argue. At which point they pull the word subtext out their ass.

Character motivation is interpreted in different ways just because of the beast it is. It can be argued because human motivation is at times very complex. You also have to consider the fact that while its the writer who creates the story, there are a lot of people telling the story, and they might have different ideas about a character, or a storyline, than the writer has. Then you've got the director, the editors and so on. Ultimately though, all these people are telling the story that the writer created.

If Joss Whedon was to say that Lindsey felt no attraction to Angel then that should be the decider. It should be, but I've seen so many irrational plonkers, some on this site, that will argue still. And subtext is their champion.

J

JCC

Joss hasn't addressed it all, though. I mean, I didn't get that vibe, but you can't just disregard it.

L
Lindsey McDonald
Karma cause you agree with me, and that NEVER happens! Even though you....don't agree with me..... Just take the damn karma!

Lindsey McDonald

Spirit Boy
Hey, mate, If my last post seemed a bit harsh.. then good. Subtext, it feels like, has become my own personal cross to bear. I actually hate the word so much now because it is so misused so often, mostly be people that can't reasonably prove a point they're trying to argue. At which point they pull the word subtext out their ass.

Character motivation is interpreted in different ways just because of the beast it is. It can be argued because human motivation is at times very complex. You also have to consider the fact that while its the writer who creates the story, there are a lot of people telling the story, and they might have different ideas about a character, or a storyline, than the writer has. Then you've got the director, the editors and so on. Ultimately though, all these people are telling the story that the writer created.

If Joss Whedon was to say that Lindsey felt no attraction to Angel then that should be the decider. It should be, but I've seen so many irrational plonkers, some on this site, that will argue still. And subtext is their champion.
Well then I think you're letting the misuse of the word subtext cloud your judgement. Of course if Joss said that Lindsey felt nothing but absolute hatred for Angel we'd not argue. (Well, it wouldn't stop people from slashing, but it wouldn't be seriously considered as a valid point). It's like the whole Harry/Draco thing. Jo has specifically said that it's all wishful thinking on the shippers' part, and that's fine. People gave up theorising seriously on that point.

However like JCC said, Joss, nor any of the writers who wrote Lindsey, has never said anything on the subject. Why would they? They wrote it, and the product should stand for itself. It should stand to be interpreted for itself. Like you yourself said, "Character motivation is interpreted in different ways just because of the beast it is. It can be argued because human motivation is at times very complex." That is all we are doing. Barring one of the principle writers, or Joss himself, saying that a twisted desire was never a motive for Lindsey, I feel that there is sufficient evidence to support the idea.

So there.

*hopes he isn't an irrational plonker*

GATEGOD

Anyanka
Maybe the writers never bring up the subject because it's never crossed theirs minds, because they didn't create any subtext :p *runs away*

Top Bottom