• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Lonely Hearts vs Corrupt

thrasherpix

Scooby
Corrupt. It fits the actual theme of the series much better. It would've also allowed for more dramatic dialog when Angel goes dark later on when his own words to Kate are thrown back at him.

Name the Stars

You can't see the stars, love. That's the ceiling.
Black Thorn
I like corrupt. Also, I really do feel that Kate could have worked through the trauma, and come out a really fascinating character!

Hunga Munga

Potential
Not sure if I would've been convinced by an undercover cop turning actual tricks with a real pimp for 2 years .

Some version of this story may have made me feel a bit more empathy for Kate though . She's one character who I was never keen on .

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
I find that part hard to accept as well, though I'll just put that over there with gothic libraries with antique books in high school. It's simply too easy to beat Lonely Hearts. :-)

Btvs fan

Potential
Corrupt its not even a question. Lonely Hearts is middle of the road pap that doesn't even make sense in it's own story and has a very judgemental attitude to people at bars

Mr Trick

Scooby
Lonely Hearts is a middle of the road episode so yeah of course I would like something better than that. I'm not saying I wouldn't change certain things in Corrupt, but it probably would have been a better episode.

As for should Angel the show have been darker? No. I think they went dark enough. The problem is being darker has nothing to do with quality. If something is badly written it doesn't matter how dark it is. The same in reverse.

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
Not sure I've taken the time to read Corrupt before, and just forgotten about it, but I really liked it. It would've been way better than Lonely Hearts. Lonely Hearts isn't the worst thing TV has ever seen, but much like Dollhouse's Stage Fright, it's one of those episodes that just makes me cringe. It's just... awkward and not very well planned out.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I thought "Lonely Hearts" was, at the very least, a noble attempt to explore intimacy and loneliness in the "Wasteland" of early adulthood in the big city. Which is what Angel was supposed to be about, but never really embraced it. I mean, I wish my twenties were about pretending to be Batman while tricking my Ex into eating my enemies, but they weren't. I don't think "Corrupt" was a viable concept for a Network whose purpose was airing teen friendly programming on religious broadcasters. Granted, I enjoy watching "Pretty Little Liars" then "The 700 Club," then hitting it, but I doubt anyone else does.

It's not an obscure reference, it aired for three episodes.

slayer730

Potential
Can someone remind me briefly what the plot was for Corrupt? I dont think I've ever read it or know where to find it.

nightshade
nightshade
Link is in my first post
Top Bottom