• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Making my way through the series

I have started re-reading the whole book series. I am still in the very beginning so there is not a lot to talk about right now but I will give you all my little reviews and ratings of each book as I go along if you are interested. I will update this post so it doesn´t get too confusing. I am not yet sure if I go by publishing order or chronological. You are very welcome to read along, comment and add to my ratings.

1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer Movie Tie In 1/5
Slow and a little boring to read at times although it adds to the story a little bit. Not the best way to start the re-read but it is obviously the first.

2. The Harvest 4/5
It is just like rewatching the episode and the good thing is I really like the episode.

Currently reading: Halloween Rain.

3. Halloween Rain 3/5

This could have easily been an Episode (if not for the massive amount of actirs that would be needed for certain graveyard scenes). Buffy learns about a kind of Urban Legend of some King of Darkness who rises when it rains on Halloween. Sure enough things get crazy. I can definitely recommend this as it is a light read.

I've actually never read any of the Buffyverse novels. Would you recommend reading them in publishing order? Or is there a specific book that is good to start on?

Hey @Squidprint I have decided to go by Seasons the stories fit in. There is a Wikipedia article on this to help you:
List of Buffyverse novels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My personal start would be The Harvest as it is an easy read and will get you started nicely. After that there are various options. There are the more complex ones and there are books you can read in one sitting basically as they are very short and easy to read.
I think either way is fun and I would definitely recommend getting started. I just recently filled the holes in my collection through amazon Used-Books which was really easy and cheap. Sometimes paying only 1 cent for the book as I do think there are not many of us left ;)

Have fun reading the novels and let us know what you think!

And just like that a month has passed without me posting. I keep forgetting how adult life sometimes takes over ;)

I have since then only read Coyote Moon and must say it was acutally better than I remembered (I have read the first few when they came out about a century ago ;) ).

It would probably be a 3.5/5 because I could very well picture this as an episode and see some elements shown on screen (although it probably wouldn´t work in a later season and the early ones wouldn´t have the budget for the effects and the sets).

Now on to Night of the Living Rerun

I am still working thorugh this as I have to put it down every 5 or so pages. I can not get over how slow this is and the style is hard to follow (I am not a native speaker so that might be why?).

Can´t wait to be done with this and get on with better novels. This will be a 2/5 at most if nothing turns this around now.

The only Buffy novels I read were Tempted Champions and The Lost Slayer and I loved both of them.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
I am still working thorugh this as I have to put it down every 5 or so pages. I can not get over how slow this is and the style is hard to follow (I am not a native speaker so that might be why?).

Can´t wait to be done with this and get on with better novels. This will be a 2/5 at most if nothing turns this around now.
I started reading this one before the book club, so I didn't finish it yet. I get what you mean about the style, I don't think it's just you because I don't have the excuse of not being a native speaker, and I had the same problems with it!

The only Buffy novel I've got is Immortal which I've not read yet.
They are great fun as they are mostly telling stories that are far off the canon for the series and explore some of the what-ifs that fans often think and talk about.
Well..mostly they are fun. Not all of them :)

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
The only Buffy novel I've got is Immortal which I've not read yet.
Immortal is quite good if I remember correctly, or at least good in terms of a tv tie-in novel. I did read it about 10 years ago so my memory might be fuzzy. Nancy Holder's input to the Buffy novels has generally been very good, discounting the awfulness of Queen of the Slayers.

Finally done with "Night of the living Rerun" and I would say it´s a 1.5 out of 5 possible points. The .5 comes from still having our beloved characters in it. That´s about it.
Now on to "How I survived my summer vacation".

Just realized I am reading "How I survived my summer vacation" while everyone around me is having summer off and I am working a lot (summer is actually my busy time) so it´s great having the short stories that are easy to finish and then let the book sit for a while without forgetting the storyline.
I am actually enjoying this a lot and do think this could be canon mostly as it does explain some of the things between seasons 1 and 2 quitr well. Does anyone know if the authors had insights into production at that point?

Top Bottom