• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Mass shootings: avoidable or not?

Black Thorn
Yes and no, I think there could be a lot more focus on mental health in America and people of concern should be very closely watched. I also think there should be more limits on who can own a gun and the types available (no one needs a semi-automatic). But then maybe there are parts ingrained in american culture that will not allow mass shootings to be a thing of the past all together.

Stephan

It's a great show. But no need to get all riled up
‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

"EL PASO, TX—In the hours following a violent rampage in Texas in which a lone attacker killed 20 individuals and injured 26 others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Sunday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place. “This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said Indiana resident Janet Clark, echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations. “It’s a shame, but what can we do? There really wasn’t anything that was going to keep this individual from snapping and killing a lot of people if that’s what they really wanted.” At press time, residents of the only economically advanced nation in the world where roughly two mass shootings have occurred every month for the past eight years were referring to themselves and their situation as “helpless.” The Onion.

Veronique

Townie
I'll see your The Onion article and raise you a Vox article:

In an interview on Fox and Friends, House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy blamed video games that “dehumanize individuals” for mass shootings this weekend in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio. “To have a game of shooting individuals and others, I’ve always felt that is a problem for future generations and others.”

The top House Republican is blaming video games for the weekend’s mass shootings

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
The first year California instituted background checks and waiting periods for gun ownership, they denied permits to 1890 people. Of those 1890 people, I wonder how many would have killed someone. You will never get America to give up its guns but you might get them to believe there are people who should never have them. Although mass shootings make for dramatic clickbait, a lot of people kill their spouses and a lot of killings are one-on-one and as far as news goes, these are down in the noise level.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Evil hand issues💀
Black Thorn
Guns can always be purchased illegally here. Nothing will change that. None of us want criminals or psychotic people to have access to weapons, but there's nothing that can be done about that.

white avenger

white avenger
We can have this argument until the hellmouth freezes over, with both sides, pro and con, giving valid reasons why their argument is the only real solution, but as long as we have the Constitutional right to keep and bear arms, it's all just hot air and rhetoric. Amend the Constitution, and there might be a valid argument fir disarming the private citizens, at least the ones willing to abide by the new laws. Unfortunately, we tried that once with liquor, and it turned out to be an outright disaster. As long as there are sick people in the world who want to do things like this, there will be ways found to do it, whether it is with a gun, a bomb, or poison released into a city's water supply.

katmobile

Scooby
Guns can always be purchased illegally here. Nothing will change that. None of us want criminals or psychotic people to have access to weapons, but there's nothing that can be done about that.
Yes but you can make it harder for people to get them. I'm listening to a TED talk by the mother of one of the Columbine shooters and she says was ridiculously easy for her son to get a gun without her knowledge and consent and it still is too easy for others. I know the US too fond of their guys to take them away and but can we please admit selling them in supermarkets is stupid. Mental health is also an issue and misdirected hate from horrific wealth inequality.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Yes it's preventable. Once games, music, fake news, immigrants, the left and so on have all been banished it should sort itself out.

Veronique

Townie
For the sake of the argument, let's say that it is not avoidable, then WHY is it happening more often? and WHY is it becoming deadlier? I want to know your thoughts on this subject. I know that this is a sensitive topic but I'd like to understand the different perceptions in this forum.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
WHY is it happening more often? and WHY is it becoming deadlier?
It's because video games are becoming more dangerous. Back when pong was first released there were next to no shootings, then the likes of Mario came out and started encouraging kids to jump on people's heads and now we have games like Fortnite so millions of people think it's OK to kill others.

Couple that with the decline of pop and rock n roll and it's a recipe for disaster. Metal, punk, rap all encourage their listeners to kill indiscriminately.

Until we start clamping down on anything and everything that's different, scary or that we just don't understand this sort of thing will keep happening.

Taake
Taake
Very mature, good job.
TriBel
TriBel
I'm presuming this is satire? Out of interest, how do you feel about the Irish eating their babies? Or LPs being played backwards? Or Marilyn Manson?

Taake

Kissing Toast
Staff member
Black Thorn
For the sake of the argument, let's say that it is not avoidable, then WHY is it happening more often? and WHY is it becoming deadlier? I want to know your thoughts on this subject. I know that this is a sensitive topic but I'd like to understand the different perceptions in this forum.
Lack of meaning and purpose in life, a sense of hopelessness and uncertainty about the future (that there is a meaningful future), over-reliance on medication to ”fix” mental illness* if treatment is available or possible at all.

Weapons are deadlier.

*I’m not saying medication is useless, I have friends who couldn’t function with out it, but I imagine that there, as here, there is a tendency to over-prescribe pills, which are a band-aid at best, in many cases

The Bronze
The Bronze
What is it fake news? We're always told these are the causes.

Stephan

It's a great show. But no need to get all riled up
Until we start clamping down on anything and everything that's different, scary or that we just don't understand this sort of thing will keep happening.
Don't take it the wrong way, but are you really serious about this? I mean, there's always going to be something "different" and "scary." Life is not static and we're currently in a period of accelerated technological change that brings other changes, like the movement of people across the world, the raise of new types of employment, changes in leisure activities, new "races" appearing as we blend into each other, etc. There's always going to be something that we don't fully understand, especially as we get older and new generations take over, and so on.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Evil hand issues💀
Black Thorn
I think it's because a lot of people feel hopeless, unhappy, and full of rage. Especially those in their teens and twenties. Social media certainly doesn't help; so many people look at others' Instagram/Twitter posts, and assume that everyone but them has a 'perfect' life. Also, social media bullying has become rampant, especially amongst teenagers. Many of them actually feel that "their life is over" after they're continually humiliated online. And some of these people want to lash out, to hurt those who've hurt them. And if they can't hurt their tormentors, they'll just grab a gun and hurt whoever's around.

Top Bottom