• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Master Bones

Bungle Jerry

Orthopedic Pants
Was there ever an explanation given for why the Master left bones after he got dusted where no other vampire does? It would make me dislike "When She Was Bad" a lot less if there were some reason for it. Because it also bugs me that:

(a) there would be a revivication ceremony involving something so incredibly rare as vampire bones,

(b) Giles burying the bones in consecrated earth (which just 'burns' vampire hands) makes no sense, as either he figured they would cause no threat, in which case he'd have just thrown them away, or the's suspect they could be a threat, in which case he would have treated them with much more caution (say, destroying them with a sledgehammer).

Vengeance

Vengeance Demon
Only explanation I can think of is The Master was some special kind of vampire/demon that he left bones. The revivifaction ceremony could be something they invented on the spot or adapted from a similar ceremony. Giles might have underestimated the vampires' loyalty to the Anointed, thinking they wouldn't dare dig in consecrated ground.

Blondie Bear

Zydrate Addict
My guess is that it has something to do with him being so old. Maybe when really really old vampires get staked, they leave bones. And if a vampire's that old, s/he's bound to have piled up some loyal followers who will strongly object to the power vacuum and try to bring him/her back, and someone's bound to figure out how that works. And viola.

After all, if you look at the way vampires go poof when the budget and hence effects got a bit better, you do see the skeleton before it falls to dust, too, so maybe really really old vampires have really really good skeletons that don't poof?

Or we could just be bad fans and call it a continuity error. :D

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
My guess is that it has something to do with him being so old. Maybe when really really old vampires get staked, they leave bones. And if a vampire's that old, s/he's bound to have piled up some loyal followers who will strongly object to the power vacuum and try to bring him/her back, and someone's bound to figure out how that works. And viola.

After all, if you look at the way vampires go poof when the budget and hence effects got a bit better, you do see the skeleton before it falls to dust, too, so maybe really really old vampires have really really good skeletons that don't poof?

Or we could just be bad fans and call it a continuity error. :D
I'm with you, lets be good fans :), I think it had to do with him being so old. Clearly he looked different on the outside so why not the inside?

Blondie Bear

Zydrate Addict
The only problem I really have with the age thing is that argument that seems to crop up every so often about who was older: Kakistos or the Master? Kakistos went right to dust, but with the clovenness, he may actually have been older. Hard to say.

I get the feeling that they just never really thought it through. The way I prefer to have it fit in with the canon though isn't the age thing. We've seen a few Vampires that were smart enough to face their vulnerabilities and try to fortify their hold on afterlife. Some would seek the Gem of Amara, and others would be more inventive, like that guy who cut his heart out or whatever. The Master was never a brute force kind of guy. He planned, he waited, he hid, and he survived. It wouldn't surprise me if he spent some of those years pulling a Voldemort, looking for ways to live on. He was obsessed with Christian ideas and iconography, so for him to have created a ritual to have his body survive and be ressurrected after "death" seems more appropriate in the circumstances, and it doesn't clash with Kakistos or the Turok-Han dusting.

Taake
Taake
good points!
Tome
Tome
Nice nice idea!

Blondie Bear

Zydrate Addict
^True, but how, then, would Giles have heard of revivification ceremonies?

Also, haven't we established that chalking it up to bad planning and failing to fanwank is being a bad fan?! Bad Lindsey!

^True, but how, then, would Giles have heard of revivification ceremonies?

Also, haven't we established that chalking it up to bad planning and failing to fanwank is being a bad fan?! Bad Lindsey!
Just like how Dumbledore had heard of Horcruxes. I'd imagine the lore was there from the beginning, but The Master adapted it and taught his order precisely how to do it on his bones.

It was a slip on Giles' part to leave the bones intact, however. He wouldn't have made that mistake in Season 5, but he was still pretty naive here.

And, yes, I'm a bad fan. A bad, bad fan. ;)

Top Bottom