• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Minor characters you wish stayed

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
Hi all!

I was wondering if you had any minor characters (one we only see in one episode or a couple but never got an actual arc) that you would have love to see more. Is there anyone you would have love to explore more? What arc would they have?

I personnaly love Ford's character and would have love to see him more explored as a vampire and enemy to Buffy. She used to have crush on him and he was her last reminder of her life pre-slayer.

Seeing more Hank would have been useful to understand his relationship with Buffy and Dawn and how that affected them in their future relationship with men and their feelings of abandonment.

Cassie was great too but I am torn because I do love her end and think it was necessary.

Oh and Mr. Trick should have stayed longer, he was a amazing!!!

What are you guys?

GraceK

Grr Arrg
Mr. Platt. I loved him.

I would have liked a few more episodes with Gwendolyn Post, too.
Gwendolyn Post could have a been a very interesting addition if she stuck around longer as Faiths watcher. An evil watcher, think of the possibilities! Lol. It could have made a good foil for the Buffy/Giles relationship, even though the Mayor ended up ultimately fulfilling that role. I like the idea of Gwendolyn slowly poisoning Faith against the gang before she teams up with the Mayor. Plus it was nice to see a female watcher

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Ethan Rayne could have been a much better Big Bad than, say, The Trio. He only showed up in four episodes but they were all excellent episodes.

D'Hoffryn was only there for four episodes but I would like to have seen more of his empire and the demons in it. He could also have been a Big Bad.

Olaf! How could we forget Olaf? Just show him where the succulent babies are and he could have met the sewer monster in Band Candy in a fight of mutual annihilation. Could have been a kick ass episode to add to the two he is actually in.

Chanterelle/Anne didn't have great parts but she could have been in a few more shows than the two she was in as eye candy.

Katrina Silber was also a great bit of eye candy but only on for three episodes.

Jesse could have shown up in a flashback to add to his two episodes.

Olivia was only in three episodes. She could have been Giles' main squeeze and anyone who will put up with airports and fly thirteen hours each way to meet you is by definition a keeper.

In spite of the long shadow he casts over everything, Quentin Travers was only in four episodes and it would have been better to see more of how the Watchers' Council works.

Amy Madison was only in eight episodes but her part could have been expanded.

The world needs more Clem but he only got eight episodes.

MarieVampSlayer
MarieVampSlayer
Yes I love Anne!!!

maddie

Wish me monsters.
GWEN RAIDEN. One of the most wasted potential characters. Also Kendra (even though her death led us to Faith, but still) and RIP Jenny Calendar. Olivia (like one of the only WOC speaking roles), Cassie, Amy, Anne. Poor Mr. Flutie, Mr. Platt, and that teacher in season 1, of course the only authority figures who took an interest in Buffy got killed.

I've heard that Sunday was originally supposed to be a former slayer and I would have LOVED for her to play a bigger role. That dynamic would have been fascinating, especially if you think about Buffy's fear of becoming a vampire as shown in Nightmares. I think Kate Lockley could have been utilized more. I love Giles's relationship canon ex-boyfriend Ethan Rayne and I would have loved to explore that further because it gave Giles so much more depth.

There's so many more! This universe is so big and they had so many potential minor characters that they could have utilized more.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Sunday! ❤❤

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Ethan Rayne: He was only in 4 episodes. They got him back for a video game and he was awesome in that!! He could've escaped from the Initiative any time during the final three seasons and got buzy with the chaos, he's a real boo-hiss chaos-worshiping baddie and I missed him.

Gwen Raiden: A couple more cameo's to show how she was doing now she was 'touchable'. I don't imagine her giving up on being a thief so she could've crossed Angel's path when he was at W&H. Maybe she could've been a client if she got in trouble with the law. Now that's an episode! Have her contact lawyer-Gunn and get Angel and co. involved that way. Whoot!

Kate Lockley: Just one episode or cameo to see what she was doing post-police. Maybe she was a private eye? Maybe she dies horribly for being a humorless doof of a character? We'll never know.

Mr. Platt: Seconded. His death was unnecessary in an unnecessary episode. Have him happily retire from Sunnydale High after killing a vamp at Graduation (he sets one on fire with his lighter. Smoking for the win!).

MarieVampSlayer
MarieVampSlayer
I would love this Gwen episode!

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
I recently watched Revelations and I totally agree that Gwendolyn Post could easily have been a much longer arc over many episodes.
Think that could've been great.

Gwen Raiden is always the most obvious one though.

/SK

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
Percy,
Willy,
Parker,
Devon,
Veruca,
too busy at the moment to name more. That one stoner vampire too, can't remember his name.

MarieVampSlayer
MarieVampSlayer
What would you do with Devon I am curious?
thetopher
thetopher
Willy! :D

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
Mr. Platt. I loved him.

I would have liked a few more episodes with Gwendolyn Post, too.
I really wish that Mr. Platt had been developed too. Gwendolyn Post would only have been good to have around if that allowed Faith to see her discredited thoroughly while she (Faith) had been supported. I really think Gwen Post is a large part (if not the whole) of why Faith tipped over onto the bad side... she no longer felt she could trust anyone, or that anyone was there for her.

I would really have loved to see Dr. Gregory (who was killed by the preying mantis teacher) live long and prosper... it would have been cool had he been one of those virgins rescued from the dungeons of the mantis and he'd lived long enough to date someone! I just liked how he treated Buffy and she needed people in her corner. Those two would have been cool. I also liked Principal Flutie. I kind of wish he'd survived, but that Snyder had been his vice principal. There weren't enough positive adults. I wish these few good adults had been secretly helping... knowing they couldn't tell most other adults... b/c that would have been an interesting and uncomfortable thing... because adults keeping secrets for kids is not the usual way around...

Mylie

Scooby
I agree with Anne Steele and Mr. Platt!! Both were interesting and had lots of potential.

I'll add Kendra because I think she deserved a bit more screentime/backstory and I would have taken more of the Buffy/Kendra dynamic! I wouldn't say I wish she had stayed for good (because I love Faith) but I do wish she had stayed after What's My Line and until Becoming.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
The ideal minor character is one whom expands the show's world, one whom makes stories possible that could not be done with just the regular cast. IMHO, that is Ethan Rayne. He allowed for exploration of Giles's past, for Chaos Magic back when the series didn't really touch upon it, and would have ultimately caused the chain of events that lead to "Ripper," which, almost becoming a series is still a pretty big deal.

fauxindigo

Scooby
The obvious Gwen of course.

Chantarelly/Lily/Anne is a beautiful character that definitely could’ve been explored more and integrated into the group but I don’t feel so bad about it not happening because I love seeing how she developed form such a lost mess to a positive do-gooder. She didn’t need to be part of Angels gang- she was fighting the good fight all on her own, helping homeless people.

Kendra is the most criminally underused in my opinion. I mean, the entire concept of introducing a new slayer blew the mythology of the series out of the water and was just plain fun to see so I can’t understand why the writers wouldn’t keep her in for the rest of Season 2; especially if they knew she had to eventually die as an example of how being too by the books isn’t good. As previously stated, Kendra & Buffy have a nice dynamic; they’re just about as different from each other as Buffy & Faith but it felt like there was an honor or respect between them. And her awkwardness around Xander (or any boys I guess?) was cute and could’ve been explored more. I still say though that Drusilla should’ve sired Kendra in Becoming if she had to die anyway- at least we still would’ve gotten more Kendra (albeit evil Kendra) in Season 3 and we would’ve gotten the slayer/vampire storyline, potentially on top of or intermixed with the Faith and Mayor storyline of S3.

The other big one for me is Amy Madison. I love that she is only in one episode each season (except for 5 & 6) even though I would’ve loved more of her in the high school seasons but her absence at the end of Season 6 when Dark Willow was ripping through town is the absolute worst tragedy of S6.

Michael from S3 Gingerbread was interesting because we didn’t see many warlocks in the series but of course Ethan Rayne would’ve held way more weight as a character and been a much stronger warlock.

Owen was pure sweetness!!! I hate that we never saw him again. I don’t care if he wasn’t necessary- I want him in the scooby gang!

And as previously stated by the OP- Ford had so many layers that could’ve been further explored.

Other minor characters I liked…

Freddy — I don’t really know how/where he would fit in other than writing bad reviews of Oz’s band but I liked his vibe.

Devon— we never got to see him dating Cordelia or much of his friendship with Oz and their being in a band.

Larry — I love that he’s not a stereotypical gay guy and they are RARELY explored in media.

Hogan— Xander obviously thought this jock was cool and I know it’s nice to keep the scooby gang circle tight but I still think it would’ve been cool to have some back up muscle characters to help out in a fight here and there.

Percy-- I don't particularly like his personality but I like looking at him. Superficial I know.

Graham— another character good for a fight

Molly- I love her and her bad accent. And I love her style.

Nina— she’s kind of boring but I still like her for some reason. I think I just liked her fresh face and how she seemed to almost allow Angel to move past his baggage from Buffy, Cordy & Darla.

Olivia — why why oh why couldn’t she have stayed?! It was such a tease to give Giles this interesting, lovely girlfriend only to get rid of her for no good reason. At least Jenny had a relatively long, memorable and meaningful arc.

Cassie - love her and I understand why her death was important for the episode but I still wanted more of her. She has the coolest vibe and style.

Nancy- part of the pseudo Scoobies from The Wish with Giles, Oz & Larry. Who was she?! Where'd she come from?? Why was she never in any other episode? She's such a mystery.

Sunday— because she’s a killer diva. She is on the same level as Glory, Cordelia, Darla & Lilah.

Last edited:
MarieVampSlayer
MarieVampSlayer
I agree with Olivia and Molly! A lot of potential there!

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
The other big one for me is Amy Madison. I love that she is only in one episode each season (except for 5 & 6) even though I would’ve loved more of her in the high school seasons but her absence at the end of Season 6 when Dark Willow was ripping through town is the absolute worst tragedy of S6.
YES, I would have loved to see Amy's character fleshed out/developed more, especially as a foil for Willow. She really was a missed opportunity.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
People have said Gwen plenty, but seriously, why we didn't get to watch her walk more is beyond me.

Willy the Snitch was delightful in every appearance, and they talk about him without him being in the episode a couple times, so I feel like maybe they wanted to but couldn't.

Ethan Rayne for just one more episode in season 6 or something would have been perfect.

I wish Anne would have seen Buffy in LA on Angel once, with a Buffy/ Gunn interaction and "hey wait a minute" thrown in there.

And D'Hoffryn, who is somehow in only 4 episodes but makes such an influence, certainly seems like he could have been on at least once or twice a season easily.

W

WillowFromBuffy

Amy, Anne, Whistler, Cassie, Webs, Ethan, D'Hoffryn, Olivia, Larry... but most of all Sheila Rosenberg, Of course, her presence is felt even in her absence, but it would be great to see her and Will interact more.

I am a bit surprised at the popularity of Gwen. I never got the appeal.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
I’ll just join in the loud chorus of Gwen Raider. Gone too soon.

Anne. She was nice and her back story is cool and ties in with Buffy.

Graham. Because he was nice and hot. A good combination.

Scott Hope... lol...no... just kidding not him.

Taake

I can kill you with my brain
Staff member
Black Thorn
Eddie, the guy Buffy meets in The Freshman. It was her first friend made on campus, would've been nice to see them bond more before he was brutally killed by vampires. I get his function in the story, but still.

Gwen Raiden, for the love of god, Gwen Raiden.
Gwendolyn Post, great character, would've been cool to see more before the betrayal.

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
Ok after reading everyone I have to agree with Gwen and Anne on Angel. They would have been great addition to the female team and we could have gotten ride of Eve! Imagine Gwen instead of Eve allying with Lindsey...ok that would be too hot to handle!!!

And I completely adore the Gwendolyn Post idea from @GraceK ! She was such a good evil women and you could see that not all watchers were necessarily good!

Top Bottom