• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Missing the high school years

Wesley Pryce

Angel Investigations
Black Thorn
Which things do you miss the most about the high school years? I actually prefer the post high school years over all(though season 2 is a top 3 favorite for me),but I still miss the high school years at times. So I'm curious as to what draws each of us back to those early great times. Fascinated to hear your varied thoughts. :)

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
I actually very rarely watch the high school years. I'd say my most watched seasons are s5 and 6. But something I do miss about s1-3 is the friendship between the core Scoobies, and Faith. Those two things are definitely what I miss the most.

Wesley Pryce
Wesley Pryce
Same here,5 and 6 are my top faves :)

Wesley Pryce

Angel Investigations
Black Thorn
I miss the high school,it was a beautiful set. I miss the scoobies getting along(though i liked the tension between them in season 6,it worked),and I miss principal Snyder he was so hilarious :D. I also miss tweed style Giles :p and the old creepy library :)

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
S3 is my favourite so I do find myself missing the highschool years sometimes...

The Scoobies closeness/interactions- all those scene with the three/ four sitting there laughing and just hanging out- we never really see that in the later seasons and it happens loads of times in the first three seasons.

Stuffy, waistcoat-wearing Giles. :)

The Library- when I think of 'basecamp' for the Scoobies I think of the library. Sometimes the magic shop but mainly the library. A great place to hang-out and research stuff.

Faith.

More Oz and Cordy, less Anya and Spike.

The sets, the teachers, some of the pupils (Larry, Jonathan, pre-vamp Harmony.)

Wesley Pryce
Wesley Pryce
yes to all of this
chasesummers
chasesummers
[No message]
There are plenty of things that make the High School years so great to me:

1. Best incarnation of the Scooby Gang in season 3
2. Faith!
3. Bangel!
4. Characters had their unlikable qualities, but were realistically flawed and were still loveable.
5. As a rule, better villains (Angelus, Faith, the Mayor, Spike & Dru vs. Adam, the Trio, the First)
6. The high school supporting characters: Larry, Jonathan, Percy, even Harmony
7. Quality of the writing was generally much higher

I still love some of the later stuff (particularly S4 and S5) but the high school years were pretty much the series at its peak.

I'm not so fused with the high school years, but then I prefer the complexities of the later season stories/arcs.

bespangeled
bespangeled
[No message]
Ethan Reigns
Ethan Reigns
Sort of like early Beatles music versus later. The popularity came with the early work, the complexity and virtuoso performances came later.

SRMarx

Potential
I really like the strong bond between Buffy, Willow, Xander, and Giles during the high school years. They kind of drifted apart afterwards, which is understandable, and so I really appreciated the friendship between the core group when it was at its strongest.

I also like Faith and Angel. I miss them tons in the following seasons.

Black Thorn
The high school years are my favourite part of the show. It's difficult to say exactly what I miss from these years though because it's not like the gang leaves school and suddenly the whole show changes.

I think the foundation of the show worked better in high school I guess. Buffy keeping the world safe as well as trying to do her best in school and keep it all a secret from her mum. I miss the core gang having another purpose uniting them outside of slaying. Because they were all at the school together, they were closer.

I also think that because the location and premise was stable the focus on the stories was better. I miss the extended scoobie gang as well with Oz, Cordy and Angel. The humour I'd say is another thing I miss. Not that it disappears of course, I just think it's another part that's stronger at school.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
There are so many good things that I miss in the first 3 seasons.
  • More moments with the core four.
  • Giles the librarian and the library.
  • Angel/Angelus
  • Evil Spike without the chip
  • Better big bads(I love the master)
  • Willow and OZ, they are so adorable
  • Xander and Cordeila, I really liked them as a couple
  • Introducing Kendra and Faith as new contrasting slayers to Buffy(even though I like s7 Faith better than s3)
  • Joyce is still around and not dying
  • No dawn
  • Anya is used better
  • Willy the snitch
  • Snyder was funny even though he was a dick to Buffy
  • Sunnydale was still portrayed as a small town(no university, no airport) even though it had a Zoo
  • And I really enjoy the monster of the week episodes.
  • There's just so much good stuff in the first 3 seasons, some stuff that was missing in the last 4 seasons.

The things I miss from the high school years are Cordelia and Angel with the Scooby gang. Although it's not my favorite part from Buffyverse there were some very neat episodes there. I loved how everything evolved so naturally and I had no problem seeing the gang split and grow as individuals. At least we had three great seasons from high school and the scooby gang as a whole :)

1. I miss Buffy's hair
2. I miss Buffy's tank tops
3. I miss Buffy's skirts
4. I miss Willow's overalls (Those yellow ones she wore one time... CUTEST THING EVER)
(My god, so much clothing stuff)
5. I miss Willow's long hair
6. I miss Xander's longer, scruffier hair
7. I miss creepier Giles
8. I miss Principal Snyder & Flootie (However you spell his name...)
9. I miss Cordelia SO SO SO MUCH!
10. I miss the much happier moments (Such as 'Lunchtime be damned!' or 'BlahblahbittyblahblahI'msostuffygivemeascone' or 'The Earth is doomed!')
11. I miss the cheesy vamps... they were pretty funny. (Like seriously, season 1 Darla was about the cheesiest thing ever. The Master and that other vampire dude that was anointed in 'The Harvest' were very close behind)
12. I miss evil Spike so much... *cries*
13. I miss crazy Drusilla with Spike (Her craziness was a lot funnier accompanied by Spike's remarks)
14. I miss Cordelia. Again.
15. I miss the cheesier episodes like 'I Robot, You Jane' and 'Go Fish' and 'Teacher's Pet'!

Wow... that's a long list. There is so much more I want to say, but then the list would be long enough to make a book out of it. :p

Last edited:
Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
All great points. I agree about the cheesy vampires. That one of my issues in the later seasons is not enough vampires in a show called 'Buffy The VAMPIRE Slayer'
thetopher
thetopher
I love your long list!
Well, since people apparently like my long list, here is more!

16. I miss Oz. (So what if I am apparently obsessed with Tara? I can still like Oz... right?)
17. I miss ghost Willow. (I want to walk through a wall and scare the crap out of Giles!)
18. I miss Angelus. Not Angel. Angelus.
19. I miss CORDELIA!
20. I miss the Bronze as a major setting... it's not the same after they graduate high school.
21. I miss Buffy's diary! Where did it go?
22. I miss that 'Ugh, my mom is so annoying' relationship Buffy had with her mother.
23. I miss those SUPER cheesy cliffhangers that appeared in 'Welcome to the Hellmouth', 'Witch', and 'Teacher's Pet'.
24. I miss Buffy and Faith rocking it out at the Bronze together.
25. I miss Buffy's cross necklace that Angel gave her, and the ring Angel gave her. It bugs me that she eventually lost everything that Angel gave her, even though I'm not a Bangel fan.

MarlieTheSlayer

Bangel shipper
Black Thorn
I love the High school years and they will always have special place in my heart. I do miss them a lot of the time, but I'm happy they only lasted 3 years. I just love watching the scoobies grow up. High school, college, first jobs,...

It makes a lot easier for different age groups to relate to the show.

Anyway what I miss the most is:

• Bangel
  • Interaction between the scoobies
  • Buffy her hair and outfits
  • The library
  • Snyder
  • Confident Buffy
  • Oz
  • Woz (I also love Twillow, no worries :p)
  • The mayor ( he was an awesome big bad!)
  • No Dawn
  • the vampires (seriously where were all the vampires in the more recent seasons?)

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
the vampires (seriously where were all the vampires in the more recent seasons?)
That might be my biggest problem with the later seasons. For a show called Buffy the Vampire Slayer, it lacked big bad vampires. Even when Dru came back it was all about Spike's love for Buffy. The Turok-Han looked great and started off threatening but then weren't used til the end and were easily disposable. I think they could have kept a lot of what made the first 3 seasons great while still allowing the scoobies to grow up. Season 5 did a good job having them grow up but after s3 they all slowly fall apart and in s7 we don't really get any scoobie moments :(
Also the Buffy and Giles father/daughter relationship they had the first 3 seasons was great and they never got back to that really.

MORE OF MY LIST! :D

26. Cordelia.....................
27. Nice Amy. She looked like a sweet girl in 'Witch'. I can't believe that they made her such a bitch! (EDIT: Woah, that rhymes...)
28. The professor in 'Teacher's Pet' that got decapitated. He seemed nice enough.
29. Jenny... (Giles x Jenny forever <3)
30. Faith and Wesley moments. *Bursts out laughing*
31. Shy Willow. She was soooo sweet...
32. I miss when Xander had a reason to be a jerk. I mean, he was a teenager. But he still acts so immature as the series goes on... I feel like he's one of the least developed characters. I mean, we pretty much know nothing about him. :(
33. Oz. Again, I guess?
34. Anya was better in the third season. (I wonder if she ever got that beer...)
35. When the vampires loved to use the Bronze as a major place to eat people. Ah, those were the days. 
MORE OF MY LIST! :D

26. Cordelia.....................
27. Nice Amy. She looked like a sweet girl in 'Witch'. I can't believe that they made her such a bitch! (EDIT: Woah, that rhymes...)
28. The professor in 'Teacher's Pet' that got decapitated. He seemed nice enough.
29. Jenny... (Giles x Jenny forever <3)
30. Faith and Wesley moments. *Bursts out laughing*
31. Shy Willow. She was soooo sweet...
32. I miss when Xander had a reason to be a jerk. I mean, he was a teenager. But he still acts so immature as the series goes on... I feel like he's one of the least developed characters. I mean, we pretty much know nothing about him. :(
33. Oz. Again, I guess?
34. Anya was better in the third season. (I wonder if she ever got that beer...)
35. When the vampires loved to use the Bronze as a major place to eat people. Ah, those were the days.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Lots of episodes based around relatable high scholl events. Football games, Science Fair, Parent/Teacher conference, Career Day, Homecoming, Prom. I have fond memories of pretty much all those episodes, even if some of the other elements in them sucked.

Aud

Scooby
  1. The Core Scooby Gang. Barring the occasional Yellow Crayon Speech, S4 on, I couldn't even tell the Scoobies were friends. The banter among them was sorely missed.
  2. Angel. Love him or hate him, the centrality of his relationship with Buffy gelled so well with the overall themes and arcs of S2-3. Even S1 was great as a foundational year for them.
  3. The continuing relevance of Giles. Nothing was the same after his role diminished.
  4. Better Big Bads. It's noteworthy that they tried to raise the stakes with each successive Big Bad, but nothing--gods, witches, incorporeal beings, weird government demon/Frankenstein science experiments gone awry--could measure up to your Exceptionally Powerful Vampires or your mayor demons.
  5. Discovering the vampire/demon mythology of this world. Most people would agree that Spider-Man 2 and The Dark Knight are the strongest films in their respective trilogies. Even still, Spider-Man and Batman Begins have a certain je ne sais quois that just isn't captured in their sequels. Here's my take: there's something magical about your first introduction to the characters, and going through a journey of discovery with them. That moment when Peter Parker and the audience first discover Tobey Maguire's transformed body? That moment when Bruce Wayne first test drives what will be the Batmobile? That moment when the Scoobies first assemble? There's something magical about these moments of discovery that can never be recaptured, and can only be mirrored in, at best, a nostalgic fashion.
  6. The "best episodes" of the early seasons are considered the best because of their significance in the overall arc, not because they are seen as standouts in otherwise uneven seasons. For instance, many would consider some combination of Surprise/Innocence/Passion/Becoming1/Becoming2 as not only the most pivotal episodes of S2, but also some of the best (seriously, nobody is about to say Bad Eggs was the best. Nobody.) But it's telling that all of these are crucial to the main Angelus arc. In contrast, S4-7 also have fantastic standalone episodes. But that's the thing about most of them--they are standalone and aren't really remembered for their significance to the overall story arcs (e.g. Something Blue, Hush, OMWF...). If I wanted to rewatch a season, I would definitely go with 1, 2, or 3. I would only go to 4-7 for the truly exceptional standalone episodes.
  7. Oz. There was something about his quiet presence that really added something to the group. And as much as I enjoyed Willow with Tara, the Willow and Oz dynamic is special to me. I mean, come on. Oz's first glimpse of Willow as an Eskimo? This is legendary stuff.
  8. Overall, Buffy was just better in the earlier seasons. She had that trademark spunk, but at the same time, it wasn't like she was a total child. She had plenty of moments in the early years that perfectly captured the impossibility of her life as a Slayer ("Giles. I'm sixteen years old. I don't want to die."), but that still allowed her to really demonstrate her strength, both physical and emotional (making the decision to kill Angel...seriously how?!). Some might say that in later seasons, she was growing up, yeah yeah, and went through some truly Difficult Times. Yeah yeah. Still. We didn't need to see an entire season of our heroine dealing with depression, only to follow up with an entire season of her alienating and isolating her friends (apparently having learned nothing about humility, patience and love in her 7 years with this group). S7 was particularly difficult to watch because her renewed appreciation for life at the end of S6 seemed so hard earned, and it really did seem like we would get to see some old school Buffy again.

thetopher
thetopher
Points 5, 6 and 8 are very well reasoned. Entirely agree.
Top Bottom