• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Mom-guilt after Gingerbread

thrasherpix

Scooby
So what do you think Buffy squeezed out of it while she could? (Maybe those who pay so much attention to the fashion in the show can point out how her outfits got better, showing she was getting more that way? Nice addition if that red cloak--I'm NOT going to call it a coat--was gotten this way that later lost to a vampire who then uses it to capture her mother.).

I think the reaction of Willow's mom might also be interesting to speculate on, and ever hungry for publishing credits, she may have even written a (completely wrong, but no doubt applauded) paper on it (minimizing her own involvement) before Sunnydale Syndrome kicked in, and too awkward around Joyce for them to ever be together again. Maybe she wanted to meet Oz to try to regain her "good mom" image (and to help fully forget).

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I would imagine that Joyce would've promised Buffy a spectacular and memorable 18th Birthday shopping spree. If so then it might've taken the sting out of her Dad blowing her off and her other Dad betraying her.
Why else would Buffy forgive Giles so quickly unless she was swimming in gorgeous new shoes?

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
And the only reason I can think of Joyce forgiving him, somewhat, is because he's such a "stevadore during sex." :-D

thrasherpix

Scooby
I also meant to say that another reason Joyce may have been easygoing on Giles in Helpless (when it's so understandable why she'd be acting demonic to Giles herself, given what he did to Buffy AND what happened to Joyce herself) is because in addition to finding comfort in him (both under a spell and spell free), she had almost burnt her own daughter at the stake. I could see her furious but also scared to bring it up given her own recent shenanigans. Had Giles not been there, Joyce would've burned her own daughter at the stake, something that surely was in the back of the character's mind, and thus restraining herself somewhat when it came to Giles.

Gods, to be Buffy then...mom tries to burn you at the stake, then your dad bails and Giles won't even step in but does that to you...heck, even Cordelia giving Buffy a ride must've added to how upside down her world had gone. Xander's traumas aren't the only ones that get ignored (not that Buffy's are swept under the carpet as often as Xander's are).

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I think part of the Sunnydale Syndrome is that people forget in a sort of exponential decay, the same as people forgot about Johnathan being Superstar then reverting to an ordinary person. Within a day, most people had forgotten about Johnathan the superstar and things went back to normal although some people remembered longer than others. In the same way, none of the witch hunters would remember their parts in the story for long and Willow says the only thing her mother remembered was her telling her mother that she was dating a guy in a band.

There is a fanfic waiting to be written about Dawn being pushed off the tower at the end of Season 5 and reverting to a green ball of energy and people forgetting at different rates with Buffy not necessarily retaining the memory the longest. Who would be the last to forget? Spike? Xander? Anya? Willow? Giles? You could write it with any of them being last to forget. Memory seems to work like that in Sunnydale.

Top Bottom