• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Monica Owusu-Breen clarifies facts about the Buffy Reboot....

HyperionWitch

Townie
I have to agree with B on this one, no ones going to binge an old show just because a newer version is coming out. But that isn’t to say a continuation if done properly couldn’t work.
Ah, a lot of people like to binge old shows. With the literal shitloadbof streaming options nowadays, any retard goat hearder in Afghanistan with a decent cell phone can get online and watch shows.

A lot of older fans, regardless of their opinion of the new show, are probably going to end up giving both Buffy and Angel a rewatch, and with all the attention this has gotten lately, I'd bet $100 easy that a fair number of people that haven't seen either Buffy or Angel before will probaby check out at least a few episodes on Hulu or Netflix or possibly even Amazon just out of curiosity. Some will probably watch a few episodes and decide it's not for them, while others might get interested.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Except you can't. It's only on Hulu. It's unlikely it will ever be on Netflix or Amazon again.
Which is rather annoying when you're trying to do a rewatch and have to keep changing disks!

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I know. It sucks having to get up and change the disk. That's just terrible.
It does, my rewatch would go a lot quicker if it was still on Netflix, plus then the switching between shows later on, that's going to be a pain.

Spanky
Spanky
My heart goes out to you.

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
Except you can't. It's only on Hulu. It's unlikely it will ever be on Netflix or Amazon again.
It's still on… What fresh hell is this? It's not even on Swedish Netflix anymore! :eek:

Spanky
Spanky
Disney owns (at least a large chunk) of Hulu. They are slowly repositioning it to be the Disney streaming service.
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Dorothy Parker reference! There's hope for humanity after all...

HyperionWitch

Townie
It's still on… What fresh hell is this? It's not even on Swedish Netflix anymore! :eek:
US Netflix pulled a lot of stuff a couple years ago, but last I checked, it's still on Hulu. Or something that looks damned similar is, especially since I watched half a dozen episodes over the weekend.

I honestly haven't checked Amazon, so I'm not sure if it's available to buy and watch online there or not.

Spanky
Spanky
It's not on Amazon Prime. You have to buy the episodes in order to watch them. As I said above, it's only on Hulu. (as far as the big streamers go... it may be on like Shudder or something like that)

HyperionWitch

Townie
There was a ton of backlash from butthurt fans when it was announced it was going to be a reboot with a black female as Buffy. Once they backpeddled it simmered down a bit but...
Not really, no.

The sources that first announced it a couple of weeks ago pretty much made clear then that aside from Josd and this other woman willing to handle a lot of behind the scenes work, and wanting an African American lead actress, they made clear from the very beginning that very little has actually been done yet. Even look at my earlier posts for example. They stated from literally the very beginning that they had no cast built up, no writers, no scripts, no director, no confirmed outlet to distribute through, nothing. It's been what, two, three weeks since the first announcement? Kind of hard to really backpedal at this point when there is very little to backpedal to begin with.

Most shows can easily take a couple of years from the initial pitch of the idea to actually airing the first episode. An actual episode, once actually going before cameras, can actually be filmed in about a week, but a lot of necessary behind the scenes work can easily take months.

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
Boo, we don’t have Hulu. Suppose it’ll show up on HBO Nordic maybe (they have other hulu shows like ”Handmaid’s tale”) because no Buffy streaming at all is just mean.

Spanky
Spanky
Add Hulu to the long list of things you don't have.

HyperionWitch

Townie
Boo, we don’t have Hulu. Suppose it’ll show up on HBO Nordic maybe (they have other hulu shows like ”Handmaid’s tale”) because no Buffy streaming at all is just mean.
I thought at this point most everyone had Access to Netflix or Hulu at least.

Taake
Taake
We have Netflix, but not Hulu. There are many other streaming services here

shpadoinkle

Townie
This is why I buy the DVD sets of every show I expect to watch multiple times. I never binge watch, so switching disks isn't a problem, and I am secure in knowing that some random corporate decision won't be able to take my favorite shows away.
Same here, plus it's nice having commentary and special features!

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
I have the discs, just too lazy to get them out. :p Not to mention the disc intros on season 2 are a pain.

But sorry, didn’t mean to take this thread off-topic.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Sineya
Not really, no.
Kind of hard to really backpedal at this point when there is very little to backpedal to begin with.
You're right that there was very little info given from the get go, but fans ran wild with speculation that they were going to try and replace Buffy. That seemed to be what everyone was up in arms about. The backpedaling was the "we would never try and replace Buffy" statement. IMO, that statement didn't have much info in it either and just because they are trying to *replace* Buffy doesn't necessarily mean they won't be giving us a *new* Buffy.

HyperionWitch

Townie
You're right that there was very little info given from the get go, but fans ran wild with speculation that they were going to try and replace Buffy. That seemed to be what everyone was up in arms about. The backpedaling was the "we would never try and replace Buffy" statement. IMO, that statement didn't have much info in it either and just because they are trying to *replace* Buffy doesn't necessarily mean they won't be giving us a *new* Buffy.
That's really the heart of the matter, there's essentially no real information or hard details to go on or that have been worked out at this point. 99.99% of what we're going on at this point is pure guesswork or speculation.

Honestly, even if this does ultimately go forward, as long as it typically takes to get a new show off the ground, I'll be very surprised if we get any more significant news or information before the end of the year.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
Even as of 5ish years ago it used to be on multiple channels in syndication, including one of the Nickelodeon channels (Teen Nick? Nick at Night? I dunno). Now? Nothing. Guys, Buffy simply isn’t as popular as it used to be, as much as we don’t want to admit it. My English prof cousin says his college students don’t know what it is (he uses episodes in his lit classes).

IMO this new show (if it ever comes to be) is going to be geared for a younger demographic. Not us. I highly doubt they will be taking the comics into consideration at all. I also think it will NOT be a sequel but will be an entirely new thing. I also think this tweet was clear as mud lol.

I also think that whatever this new thing is does nothing to the original. It doesn’t erase it. It doesn’t sullie Buffy’s good name (even if the new show sucks). Nothing. The original stands on its own.

All of this talk has really made me think a lot about the nature of fandom. We love this thing. We love it A LOT. It means a lot to us, it’s very meaningful. Art belongs to both the creator and the world. But legally, the creator can do whatever the hell he/she wants with it. Why does that change what the art means to us? It’s really a lot to think about. But we take this very personally and we take ownership of it. “This is mine and you can’t take it away from me or change it in anyway”. Regardless of what happens, what I really don’t what to see is our fandom becoming toxic like segments of the Star Wars fandom for example: leading the actor who played Jar Jar to want to commit suicide, chasing actressses off of social media because of vile racism & misogyny etc. I don’t think we will do that, but I see some of the comments about “Black Buffy” (not on BB necessarily) and I worry.

Top Bottom