• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Monica Owusu-Breen clarifies facts about the Buffy Reboot....

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
I just hope they can come up with something that doesn't smell of back-patting desperation on Joss' part to win back his cred. because his name is mud. At this point, his bigger problem is winning back his reputation for just plain, good, simple, universally-appealing storytelling, which fled the coop over a decade ago.
Well this and the announcement of his HBO project but I thought the timing was interesting because it seemed like maybe he had laid low this past year because of Kai Cole’s letter (which came out a year ago actually). I don’t know if that was purposeful or coincidental but I found it intriguing.

hexkat

Townie
I am so much more excited that it is going to be another slayer and new characters rather than a re-boot. I mean I love what they did with the Star Trek franchise but would rather Buffy be Buffy and have a new vampire slayer with new characters.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Think, for me, it depends...
If they can play with the canon, or maybe a different era, maybe?

Robert

Townie
Good to know that they aren't going to try to recast the original characters. The fact that they are taking this thing in a brand new direction makes me far more hopeful that this will turn out to be a good product.

Cordy_Chase

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Sineya
I was relieved to hear that this was going to be a 'reboot' following a new slayer instead of a revival of the original.

Last I heard SMG is not even interested in returning to the role of Buffy as she feels too old.
The original lot is in the 40's range now and due to his struggles with depression and drinking, Nicholas Brendan looks around 60.
I'm personally not a fan of where the comics took the series anyway and I assume a revival would have to continue from them, not from the end of 'Chosen'.

I'm still not that crazy about this new generation installment but I'm interested enough to where I'll probably check it out.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I was relieved to hear that this was going to be a 'reboot' following a new slayer instead of a revival of the original.

Last I heard SMG is not even interested in returning to the role of Buffy as she feels too old.
The original lot is in the 40's range now and due to his struggles with depression and drinking, Nicholas Brendan looks around 60.
I'm personally not a fan of where the comics took the series anyway and I assume a revival would have to continue from them, not from the end of 'Chosen'.

I'm still not that crazy about this new generation installment but I'm interested enough to where I'll probably check it out.
Agree with most of that. I still wouldn't be against some of the original cast making cameos. It could be a nice way of passing the torch if you had SMG there in the first episode giving the new Slayer advice etc..

Allie
Allie
Agreed, that would be a great way to do it!
fauxindigo
fauxindigo
SMG wouldn't even have to be in the first episode to pass the torch so to speak. We better at least get cameos and legitimate working into theBuffyverse continuity.

Cordy_Chase

Sineya
Agree with most of that. I still wouldn't be against some of the original cast making cameos. It could be a nice way of passing the torch if you had SMG there in the first episode giving the new Slayer advice etc..
I don't doubt cameos or guest appearances will be arranged.
Ex.
- The new slayer and her cast of supporting characters seek out Giles for help with something particularly daunting.
- Willow is requested for some heavy magic.
Or at the very least a mention or two such as Angelus being referenced or a phone call to Buffy or someone.

J. August Richards actually tweeted an interest in Gunn being the new Slayer's watcher, which I could actually see as totally plausible given his unique field experience and this would even feed my own interest.

Last edited:
K
katmobile
That would be fricking awesome. I hope they take him up on that.
fauxindigo
fauxindigo
I'd take Watcher Gunn over Vamp Gunn of After the Fall any day! OMG I love J.August. He replied to me on twitter before too. I love that he loves the Buffyverse.

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
J. August Richards actually tweeted an interest in Gunn being the new Slayer's watcher, which I could actually see as totally plausible given his unique field experience and this would even feed my own interest.
Full heartedly approve of this idea. I'd love to see them bring Gunn into it, especially in a fairly central role.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Gunn ... given his unique field experience and this would even feed my own interest.
Yeah, I'm sure he would have been the only Watcher that was once a vampire. Would make him be able to relate to them a little more.

K
katmobile
Since that's comic canon they probably won't reference it but yeah.

Cordy_Chase

Sineya
Yeah, I'm sure he would have been the only Watcher that was once a vampire. Would make him be able to relate to them a little more.
Actually, I meant that he'd be among few if not the first watcher who has fought vampires himself and without formal training, but a watcher who's actually been and come back from being a vampire is certainly a useful anomaly.

katmobile said:
Since that's comic canon they probably won't reference it but yeah.
Every superhero movie that's ever been made is based on a comic series.
The show Lucifer is based on a comic series.

So I don't see a reason this new Slayer series couldn't reference the comics. At least the ones which are officially considered canon to the franchise (there are several which are not and I agree that those wouldn't be referenced) which I'm pretty sure ATF is because I've read claims that it's based on scripts conceived for season 6 of AtS before the cancellation.

Tome

Berktwad
Black Thorn
Full heartedly approve of this idea. I'd love to see them bring Gunn into it, especially in a fairly central role.
I responded to him on Twitter, saying that if the new show takes place post-Chosen and post-Not Fade Away, they would have to explain how Gunn survived the fight in the alley (as he was about to die).

I think it could be a good idea, but I hope they do not retcon the story.

Edit: As for the comics, Joss said before that he would scrap their 'canon quality' if he ever continued the story on television. The question is if he will have changed his mind about that.

Cordy_Chase

Sineya
I responded to him on Twitter, saying that if the new show takes place post-Chosen and post-Not Fade Away, they would have to explain how Gunn survived the fight in the alley (as he was about to die).
ATF does. Without revealing spoilers, it leaves him in the hospital in a coma much like Cordelia except without a hopeless prognosis. He'd asked Angel to let him die in his last moments of consciousness but Angel refused.
That's as far as I know.

Edit: As for the comics, Joss said before that he would scrap their 'canon quality' if he ever continued the story on television. The question is if he will have changed his mind about that.
*low growl* That man can make the most senselessly cruel choices.
If he did that to ATF, I'd be royally pissed off.
Though tbh I'd be more accepting of it happening to the Buffy comics and Angel season 11 comics. I've heard absolutely deranged things.

Last edited:

HyperionWitch

Townie
Biggest issue with comics(aside from questionable quality and plots) is their availability, or lack thereof.

Buffy and Angel tv, at least in the US, are available on Hulu, or if you want to pay directly, you can buy them through Amazon(I don't think they're available through Amazon Prime) if you have the money. Angel had at least one episode a day on TNT up through 2013.

Comics, for better or worse, just don't get the draw or exposure that tv shows do. I could name a dozen people easy that have seen tv episodes, but wouldn't have a clue about comics.

Zenseem

Evil, skanky and kinda gay
Black Thorn
I'm honestly terrified with the idea of the Buffy reboot turning into a cheap CW teenage drama show. I'm afraid we'll end up with a Riverdale-esque show and when shit starts to fall apart some cameos here and there to keep the old fans still interested. This needs to be done right but honestly I'm really skeptical about the whole thing. Let's just hope I'm wrong.

Black Thorn
I'm honestly terrified with the idea of the Buffy reboot turning into a cheap CW teenage drama show. I'm afraid we'll end up with a Riverdale-esque show and when shit starts to fall apart some cameos here and there to keep the old fans still interested. This needs to be done right but honestly I'm really skeptical about the whole thing. Let's just hope I'm wrong.
Me too, I really want them to do it in a historical setting because I think that will take away a lot of the Riverdale-like elements and they can play around more without hurting the canon too much. I'm kind of just afraid that it's going to be Owusu-Breen's personal headcanon, because we all know how the fanbase has extremely different opinions on certain topics. I hope that it surprises me in a good way.

Btvs fan

Scooby
The idea of a reboot is a bad idea but I guess if you slap a Buffy logo on it maybe it will sell and by the time fans start to turn away Joss will have his cash by then so he won't care.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
The idea of a reboot is a bad idea but I guess if you slap a Buffy logo on it maybe it will sell and by the time fans start to turn away Joss will have his cash by then so he won't care.
The should just make the new Buffy Anne's daughter, that way you have a reason why the daughter is called Buffy instead of just a cash in and you have the benefit of the reboot being both a continuation of the original series whilst also being its own separate thing.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
thought Monica said it was going to be a new slayer?
Top Bottom