• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

More then 3 mains

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
Angel had 3 main characters in S1 at all times which they did well considering 3 doesn't give a lot of room for many people to get storylines.
I always felt that a 4th would balance it out more in S1.
Who do you feel would've been a good 4th main?
For me I would've loved to see Kate Lockley join Angel as a main character.
She already proved in episodes like Sense and Sensitivity her character could carry a story. Also while Cordelia is great, I would've loved to see another female in the main cast which is why I was so happy when Fred joined in S3 and Harmony in S5.

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
I think one of the reasons why season 1 is so great is because it only had three main characters. I didn't feel like a forth one was necessary, but Gunn's addition worked out great, mainly because with Angel so distant in season 2, Gunn/Cordy/Wes were often a trio.

I don't think Fred's addition was bad, but I preferred the smaller gang. With Fred things became messier. The love triangle between Fred, Gunn and Wesley was a disservice to all of the characters involved and the Wesley/Gunn friendship was lost. Fred and Cordy weren't very close either so the A.I gang didn't work as well as it had in the past. Fred becoming a part of the team is partly the reason why Cordy and Angel hooked up, in a way. With two girls, the writers decided to pair characters up. I do like the gang in season 4 but it had a lot more than 4 members.

Harmony doesn't add much to the show in season 5.

Priceless

Scooby
Early S1 was about establishing Angel's character away from Buffy. I think that was more achievable with a smaller cast. As Angel's character became more defined and solid, more characters could be added.

I wasn't a fan of Doyle so was glad when he went and would have been happy with just Angel, Cordy and Wesley. I liked Fred and Gunn but disliked the Funn/Fresley triangle, and it's that sort of romance that can be a big disadvantage of having more main characters.

By the last season I wish there had been more female characters. Angel is a very masculine show, not aimed at people like me who like to identify with at least one main character, and I found Fred quite unsympathetic, and although Harmony was fun, I didn't identify with her. So I would have liked a bigger cast but only if there were more women in the main roles.

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
By the last season I wish there had been more female characters. Angel is a very masculine show, not aimed at people like me who like to identify with at least one main character, and I found Fred quite unsympathetic, and although Harmony was fun, I didn't identify with her. So I would have liked a bigger cast but only if there were more women in the main roles.
I do agree that it was lacking good female characters. I love Fred and Cordy but I don't identify with any of them. Especially in S4-S5 after the real Cordy was "gone", I never could replace her with Harmony or Eve.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
You all forget Lilah, even Darla !!
Lilah, Darla , Kate Lockley were all strong female characters too. But I mean as mains.
I felt Angel focused on men too much. It was more masculine. I prefer Buffy for that reason.

I do agree that it was lacking good female characters. I love Fred and Cordy but I don't identify with any of them. Especially in S4-S5 after the real Cordy was "gone", I never could replace her with Harmony or Eve.

I love Fred, Cordy, Harmony, Kate Lovkley , Darla , Lilah etc but Angel just needed more females in the main cast for me.
Angel was just less of a feminine show I know. Which is why I like Buffy more

W

WillowFromBuffy

I always felt Cordelia was the Dr Watson of the early show. She was the lens which we experienced the story, through.

Angel spends a lot of time brooding, being evil, being under the sea, secretly dreaming of Darla, being seduced by Jasmine, being Angelus, being involved in secret plots, which sorta undermines his role as protagonist. BtVS was always the Buffy Show. After Cordelia is sidelined, it is often hard to see whose story we are really seeing.
although Harmony was fun, I didn't identify with her
I do actually identify with Harmony quite a bit. She is me at my absolute worst, when everything goes wrong and I can't catch a break :p However, it is laughable that they added her to balance the genders, because it is only in Disharmony and Harm's Way that we get to see her perspective. For most of s5, she is little more than a prop.

MarieVampSlayer
MarieVampSlayer
Yeah Harmony deserved more in S5. She should have replaced Eve!

white avenger

white avenger
I think that Kate was supposed to be Angel's Police Department connection, in the same way that Pat Chambers was for Mike Hammer, and Phil Sampson was for Shell Scott. Every fictional P I has his Police Department "buddy" who serves as a source for information and unofficial assistance, and Angel was, of course, a Private Investigator, or at least the Whedonverse equivalent. Unfortunately, Kate just never caught on with the fans, apparently, so she was written out of the series.

Kate did return, of course, in the IDW comics' post "After The Fall" story line, with longer hair and a Black Widow skin suit, fighting demons alongside Angel and what was left of his crew, but since that part isn't acknowledged as canon, I guess it doesn't really count.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
I think that Kate was supposed to be Angel's Police Department connection, in the same way that Pat Chambers was for Mike Hammer, and Phil Sampson was for Shell Scott. Every fictional P I has his Police Department "buddy" who serves as a source for information and unofficial assistance, and Angel was, of course, a Private Investigator, or at least the Whedonverse equivalent. Unfortunately, Kate just never caught on with the fans, apparently, so she was written out of the series.

Kate did return, of course, in the IDW comics' post "After The Fall" story line, with longer hair and a Black Widow skin suit, fighting demons alongside Angel and what was left of his crew, but since that part isn't acknowledged as canon, I guess it doesn't really count.
I love love Kate Lockley if they had given her the chance to be a main
Her arc would've been even more complex and amazing (and probably wouldn't have hated Angel for as long as she did)

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
I love love Kate Lockley if they had given her the chance to be a main
Her arc would've been even more complex and amazing (and probably wouldn't have hated Angel for as long as she did)
I love Kate too! I liked that she was a cop and intelligent which balanced the S1 compared to all the pretty scared blonds we got to see. She wasn't the girly cry baby and that reminded me of Buffy which I loved! I wish that she had stayed!

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
I love Kate too! I liked that she was a cop and intelligent which balanced the S1 compared to all the pretty scared blonds we got to see. She wasn't the girly cry baby and that reminded me of Buffy which I loved! I wish that she had stayed!
People hate her cause they call her "the knock off buffy" which is so rude and I think Bangel fans hate her too because I thought Angel/Kate could've been a relationship

MarieVampSlayer
MarieVampSlayer
Angel/Kate would've been a better relationship than anything Angel got in the whole serie!

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
The season 1 trio was really well done imo, both with Doyle and Wesley. The last thing I would have wanted was Cordy and Angel to move to a new show that was supposed to focus on them more and developed them more to have them overshadowed by another 7 person gang. But once the show was established, I was happy with the growth of the gang, especially the addition of Fred, and I felt the right amounts of attention and story were given to the characters for the most part. I'm the minority who likes the love triangle, especially because of how realistic it is. (How could you not fall in love with Fred?) Gunn and Wes's roller coaster ride is one of the best things Ats did, and that was a huge part of it.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
The season 1 trio was really well done imo, both with Doyle and Wesley. The last thing I would have wanted was Cordy and Angel to move to a new show that was supposed to focus on them more and developed them more to have them overshadowed by another 7 person gang. But once the show was established, I was happy with the growth of the gang, especially the addition of Fred, and I felt the right amounts of attention and story were given to the characters for the most part. I'm the minority who likes the love triangle, especially because of how realistic it is. (How could you not fall in love with Fred?) Gunn and Wes's roller coaster ride is one of the best things Ats did, and that was a huge part of it.
I loved the love triangle as well.
It was a fantastic angle of Angel and I think love triangles are always interesting.
Fred is one of my fav characters ever.
Love her so much!

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I suppose the idea of Angel as a series of recurring guest characters, much like in Season 2, where Gunn had his gang and Lorne had his bar, rather than a Friends in a Hotel Bar.

DagonSphere

Potential
Unfortunately, Kate just never caught on with the fans, apparently, so she was written out of the series.
Kate wasn't the most popular character, that is true. However, she wasn't written out because of that. For season two, Elizabeth Röhm booked another series as a series regular, but she was still filming in LA, so she she was able to still recur on Angel. By the end of season two however, she got a series regular role on Law & Order, which filmed in New York, which meant that she could no longer do the series. I think Kate was initially eyed as a potential series regular on Angel, in some episodes of season one she got more to do than Cordelia. I too wish she would have returned and maybe become a more permanent member of Angel Investigations, but Elizabeth Röhm was working on Law & Order until the end of Angel.

Angel had 3 main characters in S1 at all times which they did well considering 3 doesn't give a lot of room for many people to get storylines.
I always felt that a 4th would balance it out more in S1.
Who do you feel would've been a good 4th main?
She already proved in episodes like Sense and Sensitivity her character could carry a story. Also while Cordelia is great, I would've loved to see another female in the main cast which is why I was so happy when Fred joined in S3 and Harmony in S5.
I think it made sense, story-wise, for there to only be three main characters in the first season. Angel started out isolated, not as a team player. It would have been strange to have him suddenly interact with too many people. The whole point of Cordelia, and later Wesley, was to connect Angel back with humanity. However, for me personally, Angel really only fell into place once they added more characters to the cast. By the time Fred joined the cast, the show became more of an ensemble show and all of the characters got more storylines as a result, while in the first two seasons, Angel is mostly out on his own, fighting evil, with all the other characters merely fulfilling supporting roles, doing a little bit of research here and there and only occasionally getting their spotlight episode. Especially in the first season, most of the episodes were about Angel and the guest star of the week.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
AtS season 1 had a forth character- in a way- and that was the city of LA. Or, more precisely the 'client of the week' so they could be fleshed out a bit.
That was the reason for the smaller cast to begin with- with mixed results- but Season 1 did manage to establish lots of good ancillary characters (Lindsey, Lockley, Gunn) and have several successful guest appearances (Oz, Buffy, Faith).

I did like the feel of that early season even if I liked it when they had a bigger cast later on in S3/4, dealing with 'real people' and the world outside instead of the 'evil fighting bubble' they would all come to inhabit more or less.
I agree that Angel was more of an ensemble show than Buffy was; it was a place where cast members were allowed to grow breathe away from the main character.

fauxindigo

Scooby
I don't think there needed to be a fourth for Season 1. There was enough going on with Angel, Cordy & Doyle to begin with and soon enough there was Wesley & Gunn. Plus there already was Kate, Lilah, Lindsey, Faith, Buffy & by the end of S1 DARLA! I still remember being shook by her resurrection at the end of Season 1.

Even though I missed Cordy & Lilah, I liked the kind of random female cast of Fred, Harmony, Eve, Nina & eventually Illyria in s5. They didn't really gel together but you can't really say they were lacking in the female cast members. They should have just developed Eve, Nina & even Illyria more (even though there was like no time for Illyria).

white avenger

white avenger
I too wish (Kate) would have returned and maybe become a more permanent member of Angel Investigations,
I don't know whether you're familiar with IDE's "After The Fall" arc (which Joss calls canon) but Kate did return as a full fledged demon fighter who helped Angel and what was left of his crew. She had longer hair and a "Black Widow" type jumpsuit.

LilahFan

Townie
The season was pretty good as it was but l always thought Faith fit in much better on Angel than Buffy's show. Would have liked to see her stay.

Maybe have her eventually earn a badge and team up with Kate on the right side of the law which would have made sense for a slayer to assist with the darker side of things in Los Angeles.

Either her or Alonna Gunn. I get that her characters death is important for Gunns development but I still think she had potential. Maybe she'd have been better on Buffys show.

Top Bottom