• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Most hated character?

KaitKat

Potential
Of characters we are supposed to hate: Warren

Of characters we are supposed to like: Willow

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Of the characters we're supposed to hate: Knox

Of the characters we're supposed to like: Anya.

They're deaths are my favorite on either show, the ones I viscerally enjoy. Enjoyable for Knox but I really, really can't stand the actor that plays him; his manner and delivery and...face, just make me angry.

But for Anya it might be considered a bit weird, but I think its entirely justified. For one of the oldest beings depicts on either show (and around for 4 seasons no less) she is astonishingly, irritatingly shallow.
Not to mention that for 99.9% of her existence she devoted herself to inflicting pain on others, without remorse or guilt even though she had a soul (unlike Angel, Spike and sometimes Darla).
She was just a straight-up badly written concept when she was brought back onto the show in Season 4 as a quirky joke-machine fish-out-of-water who was very different from how she depicted the previous season. And I don't like how she develops. I don't even like a lot of her- supposedly great- insightful character moments such as her speech in The Body. Maybe a like a few moments with Xander...(and one with Andrew) out of almost 88 friggin episodes of material. Oh, and 'The Gift'; her fabulous power of...remembering stuff from previous episodes that season was okay I guess.

Look, I get it, the writers loved Emma- and she's great in that she does manage to camouflage the sheer awfulness of Anya for a little while- but unlike other characters they brought back I felt that she was more a millstone round the neck of the entire show, made all the characters (especially Xander) kinda morally bankrupt by her presence and in the end we're left with no real point to her character.

Faded90

Scooby
I’ll get the cliche ones out of the way at first - Kennedy and Riley 😂. Kennedy because she just has absolutely zero self reflection, she’s not an obnoxious douche because of insecurities, because of any kind of complexities - she just simply is a douche 😂. Riley because I find him just completely exhausting, while he’s clearly the lighter relationship in terms of evilness and more sinister actions he’s also by far the least fun. Like his entire arc is him being completely incapable of making a decision for himself and looking to Buffy as sole responsibility to give him purpose. Even in S4 every other episode is him sitting on a bad playing with a ball/frisbee/bandana while Buffy tries to convince him his life isn’t over. Yea I’m being unfair because objectively I get it but crikey he’s just such a drain to watch. Then S5 is once again sad puppy Riley waiting for Buffy to give him a job to do while he does absolutely nothing to gain his own purpose. Honestly I think his exit totally sums up his character that the soldier boys have to literally come to his home to get him to come back and even then it’s like ‘I’m leaving Buffy, unless you don’t want me to. Up to you’ like jesus Riley MAKE A DECISION ABOUT YOUR OWN LIFE! While I think the whole ‘girl needs some monster in her man’ is total garbage I do think eventually Buffy wouldn’t have been able to cope with the way he is completely incapable of acknowledging his own autonomy. Plus Riley you absolutely have zero leg to stand on when it comes to ‘you won’t open up to me’ when you haven’t made any effort to discuss your issues with her either. Effort and communication goes both ways.

Now I’ve got my cliche choices out the way the other is Robin Wood who is possibly the most self involved character in the entire show who never does anything unless there’s something in it for him. He’s at first only helping because he wants to know Buffy, then because of his vendetta against Spike, then when it’s clear that isn’t going anywhere he simply stops helping. Then he seems to think Faith owes him his own special job just because they had sex (which had one night stand written all over it) gets put out when she doesn’t give him anything to do so does he perhaps help Giles with the girls left behind? Or crikey even help Andrew getting supplies from stores? No as far as we’re aware he seems to have just gone home and is nowhere to be seen in the bombblast aftermath and his motivation in Chosen seems to be to ‘surprise’ Faith because he won’t accept she’s not interested. He projects his Slayer Mommy issues onto her and ironically channels Spike when he does a whole ‘I knew one slayer so I knew em all!’ with her when he continuously does the nauseating ‘I understand you’ tripe while getting her wrong each time. He also seems to need to fester some kind of grudge to function. Also his presence in Empty Places is just hilariously forced, apparently he randomly chose that very moment to pop round for no reason and no one questions why this guy who is practically a stranger seems to think he should have a say in things he’s not even involved in 😂 they should have just had a potential shout out ‘he doesn’t even go here!’

thetopher
thetopher
I'm in the 'Hate Robin Wood' club as well...but at least D.B Woodside is pretty.

burrunjor

Scooby
Of the characters we're supposed to hate: Knox

Of the characters we're supposed to like: Anya.

They're deaths are my favorite on either show, the ones I viscerally enjoy. Enjoyable for Knox but I really, really can't stand the actor that plays him; his manner and delivery and...face, just make me angry.

But for Anya it might be considered a bit weird, but I think its entirely justified. For one of the oldest beings depicts on either show (and around for 4 seasons no less) she is astonishingly, irritatingly shallow.
Not to mention that for 99.9% of her existence she devoted herself to inflicting pain on others, without remorse or guilt even though she had a soul (unlike Angel, Spike and sometimes Darla).
She was just a straight-up badly written concept when she was brought back onto the show in Season 4 as a quirky joke-machine fish-out-of-water who was very different from how she depicted the previous season. And I don't like how she develops. I don't even like a lot of her- supposedly great- insightful character moments such as her speech in The Body. Maybe a like a few moments with Xander...(and one with Andrew) out of almost 88 friggin episodes of material. Oh, and 'The Gift'; her fabulous power of...remembering stuff from previous episodes that season was okay I guess.

Look, I get it, the writers loved Emma- and she's great in that she does manage to camouflage the sheer awfulness of Anya for a little while- but unlike other characters they brought back I felt that she was more a millstone round the neck of the entire show, made all the characters (especially Xander) kinda morally bankrupt by her presence and in the end we're left with no real point to her character.

Completely agreed about Anya. I made a similar post a while back.

Anya works entirely down to Emma Caulfield who was funny, charismatic and likable, but as a character she's utterly absurd, undermines the Scoobies morality when dealing with Spike, makes Xander into a huge hypocrite and contributes NOTHING in 4 years.

Really if they'd wanted Emma as a lead, which I get, it would have been best to have brought her back as a new character in season 4. Maybe a student who Willow and Buffy befriend and who then takes a liking to Xander. Hell maybe Emma's character could have taken Emma's place.

Okay yes people would know it was the same actress, but the show has reused them before.

Faded90

Scooby

Willow is such an interesting one because in terms of her flaws she’s such a well written character but they don’t actually acknowledge them until S6 and even then they seem to back out of truly addressing them in a real way hence her arc veering wildly into addiction schtick. Her hypocrisy and being a genuinely ghastly friend at times is never acknowledged whereas Buffy and Xander get pulled through the ringer for their ‘friend actions’. It felt like the show was scared to admit she wasn’t just ah cute Willow 😂

KaitKat

Potential
Willow is such an interesting one because in terms of her flaws she’s such a well written character but they don’t actually acknowledge them until S6 and even then they seem to back out of truly addressing them in a real way hence her arc veering wildly into addiction schtick. Her hypocrisy and being a genuinely ghastly friend at times is never acknowledged whereas Buffy and Xander get pulled through the ringer for their ‘friend actions’. It felt like the show was scared to admit she wasn’t just ah cute Willow 😂

That’s my biggest issue. I love flawed characters, even if they could in theory write a perfect character it sounds boring, it’s a coming of age story these people are supposed to be flawed the issue is I feel like any attempt to address Willow’s behavior is shallow at best. Every bad thing she ever did was chalked up to a magic addiction and she seems to be held accountable for next to nothing. Then there’s the less in your face toxic behavior that she never once gets called on. It’s exhausting and I find her problematic for the same reason as Warren, they way she’s subtly toxic and seemingly always gets a free pass is extremely realistic.

Last edited:

nmcil12

Potential
I don't care of use Kennedy since she is not really an important character but of all the least important characters she would be one I dislike most. Of the most important characters my choice is Riley - never could stand that character and especially dislike him when he is doing his Macho Superior Man status against Spike and said status as an Initiative soldier. Even is he was described, I think by Marti Noxon as a good guy I never saw him as just the opposite.
Xander is the other character that I ended up not liking but with this character he was used as an excellent example of real live people that the viewers would encounter in their own lives - Flawed just like we all are.

I don't dislike like Anya primarily because I think the character was so badly used - everything from using a sentient being who lived so many many years as a dim wit that would actually fall in love with a teenage boy like Xander. Or, even have to rely on humans to be able to function in the world after all her years of existence - it made very little sense the way she was used. My opinion is that Anya could have been a super interesting character that followed in the place of Jenny Calendar.

KaitKat

Potential
Also his presence in Empty Places is just hilariously forced, apparently he randomly chose that very moment to pop round for no reason and no one questions why this guy who is practically a stranger seems to think he should have a say in things he’s not even involved in 😂 they should have just had a potential shout out ‘he doesn’t even go here!’

I’m not a fan of Wood. I think the writers should have spent less time trying to make it seem like he could be evil so we could be sympathetic to him and his oedipus complex is too much for me but I think after Lies My Parents Told Me the potentials are by far more sympathetic to him then they are to Buffy and Spike. They themselves clearly think Buffy’s singular focus on Spike is an issue so I don’t realistically see them not wanting him there.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Love to hate: Snyder. He's so petty and spiteful and yet fun to watch, along with how other others (from Joyce to Xander, and good gods, Giles asking pleasantly--if being shoved up against a wall can be called pleasant--if Snyder would like Giles to "convince" him) reacted to him.

And I can tell the actor was having fun with it as well, but doing a very good job at covering it up (and I can't believe it took me YEARS before I realized he was the same actor who played Quark in Deep Space 9). I even liked a Snyder-centric novel that explored his background and how he came to work for the Mayor, though he remained pitiful at best, and often despicable.

Genuinely hate: close call between that coach (especially in Go Fish) or Pat (who I'd love to step through the TV and do violence to, only to hear, "thrasherpix, you killed the zombie lord Pat!" "She was a zombie lord? I thought she was just trying to hide from me with the mask!"). In some rewatches, I've actually skipped over some of their scenes.

thetopher
thetopher
Ah, I remember the Wednesday Addams bit; maybe that's where I got the idea from. :)

Faded90

Scooby
Love to hate: Snyder. He's so petty and spiteful and yet fun to watch, along with how other others (from Joyce to Xander, and good gods, Giles asking pleasantly--if being shoved up against a wall can be called pleasant--if Snyder would like Giles to "convince" him) reacted to him (and I can tell the actor was having fun with it as well, but doing a very good job at covering it up--can't believe it took me YEARS before I realized he was the same actor who played Quark in Deep Space 9). I even liked a Snyder-centric novel that explored his background and how he came to work for the Mayor, though he remained pitiful at best, and often despicable.

Genuinely hate: close call between that coach (especially in Go Fish) or Pat (who I'd love to step through the TV and do violence to, only to hear, "thrasherpix, you killed the zombie lord Pat!" "She was a zombie lord? I thought she was just trying to hide from me with the mask!"). In some rewatches, I've actually skipped over some of their scenes.
Oh my god I totally forgot about Pat, she so should have been on my list. That passive aggressiveness 🙈

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Anya works entirely down to Emma Caulfield who was funny, charismatic and likable, but as a character she's utterly absurd, undermines the Scoobies morality when dealing with Spike, makes Xander into a huge hypocrite and contributes NOTHING in 4 years.

The more I think about it the more her introduction to the show in S4 is the actual worst; she just shows up and says to Xander 'I like your peen, let's date' and he's like 'uh, sure' and that's it. She contributes nothing to the show that season and is mostly comedy fodder from then on. When you can point to Spike as being a better integrated character then you know there's something seriously up.

It's like if Xander and Cordelia suddenly started dating but Cordelia had, like, killed a bunch of people previously and was still allowed to be obnoxious and bitchy; would Buffy really put up with it?

who I'd love to step through the TV and do violence to, only to hear, "thrasherpix, you killed the zombie lord Pat!" "She was a zombie lord? I thought she was just trying to hide from me with the mask!"

If this is an Archer reference then kudos, cuz it fits. :)

T
thrasherpix
Don't know Archer, but I did think of a Simpsons Halloween special scene (about Zombie Flanders). And btw, love the Adult Wednesday (Addams) where she hired menacing guys to sexually harass those who harassed her (from other thread), fun ep

Dora

Scooby
Surprise but for me it has to be Spike, hated how they changed the whole show emprises to fit him in , how all the other characters, character's were made to seem to be doing things we just know they would not do just to push Spikes story, even the attempted rape of Buffy was a instrument just to push Spikes story, nothing else.
Marti Noxon ruined Buffy, it was Noxon obsession with Spike/Masters that ruined Buffy

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Bleat at me no longer, we are done.
Black Thorn
Riley, for sure. Also Joyce, ALL of the Potentials, Jenny Calendar, the First, Snyder, Xander....sorry, got carried away. 😅

burrunjor

Scooby
The more I think about it the more her introduction to the show in S4 is the actual worst; she just shows up and says to Xander 'I like your peen, let's date' and he's like 'uh, sure' and that's it. She contributes nothing to the show that season and is mostly comedy fodder from then on. When you can point to Spike as being a better integrated character then you know there's something seriously up.

It's like if Xander and Cordelia suddenly started dating but Cordelia had, like, killed a bunch of people previously and was still allowed to be obnoxious and bitchy; would Buffy really put up with it?

If this is an Archer reference then kudos, cuz it fits. :)

That's actually the funny thing, the gang had more of a problem (Xander included) with him dating Cordelia because she was a bit shallow and mean when she was like what? 16, than in him dating Anya an unrepentant mass murdering sociopath.

To me they just made Xander look shallow via his interest in Anya. At least with Cordy there was the idea that maybe underneath the sarcastic banter he could see that she was a better person than the others, and Cordy again wasn't THAT bad, just a bit of a High School bitch, who could easily mature and be nicer when she was older.

Anya however? Does it even matter after what she's done if she could be nicer than we thought LOL.
Post automatically merged:

Surprise but for me it has to be Spike, hated how they changed the whole show emprises to fit him in , how all the other characters, character's were made to seem to be doing things we just know they would not do just to push Spikes story, even the attempted rape of Buffy was a instrument just to push Spikes story, nothing else.
Marti Noxon ruined Buffy, it was Noxon obsession with Spike/Masters that ruined Buffy

I'm interested what did you think of Spike of s2-4 and s5 of Angel? I think a lot of people would agree with you that the Spike of s5-7, or at least 6-7 was a controversial character at least, and that he definitely did take over the show too much.

However the Spike of s2-4 was more of a popular side character and didn't change the dynamic of the show either.

Bop

Scooby
Sineya

Personally I hate Warren not just as a person as we're supposed to, but as a character. I don't think there's a character on the show that we're intended to hate as a character.

Dora

Scooby
That's actually the funny thing, the gang had more of a problem (Xander included) with him dating Cordelia because she was a bit shallow and mean when she was like what? 16, than in him dating Anya an unrepentant mass murdering sociopath.

To me they just made Xander look shallow via his interest in Anya. At least with Cordy there was the idea that maybe underneath the sarcastic banter he could see that she was a better person than the others, and Cordy again wasn't THAT bad, just a bit of a High School bitch, who could easily mature and be nicer when she was older.

Anya however? Does it even matter after what she's done if she could be nicer than we thought LOL.
Post automatically merged:

I'm interested what did you think of Spike of s2-4 and s5 of Angel? I think a lot of people would agree with you that the Spike of s5-7, or at least 6-7 was a controversial character at least, and that he definitely did take over the show too much.

However the Spike of s2-4 was more of a popular side character and didn't change the dynamic of the show either.
I certainly believe the same about Spike , brilliant big bad but once the whole obsession with Buffy, steeling underwear the Bot although funny at times made the character sordid ,. Both Buffy and Spike was used in S6 to feed Noxon ego especially Sarah who took being a roll model very seriously , If there had been no Spuffy would we have got more Buffy? I think so even with Sarah taking a lesser role , to me how they development of Spike S6 and S7 at least was at very least detrimental to the show hence my hatred of that Character

Top Bottom