• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Most Heartbreaking Break-Up

Which of these break-ups were the most heartbreaking to you and why?

• Buffy and Angel

Votes: 29 34.1%
  • Willow and Oz

Votes: 29 34.1%
  • Gunn and Fred

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Xander and Anya

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Willow and Tara (break up only not death)

Votes: 10 11.8%
  • Buffy and Riley

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
Which of these break-ups were the most heartbreaking to YOU and why? Which one really hit you hard in the feels. Sticking to break ups only and not deaths.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
Willow and Oz was the most heartbreaking because they both loved each other and it still couldn't work. They were in what seemed to be a perfect relationship and it fell apart. When Willow says "don't you love me" in tears I was destroyed.
Willow and Tara are a close second for me as well for all the same reasons. It's just a little different because it seemed more justified.
I hated the Xander and Anya breakup. I was so ticked at Xander.

Slayerofslayers

We're going to destroy the world. Want to come?
Out of these options I would say Willow and Tara because they had such a nice loving relationship compared to the other characters. You could really feel their love which made their pain from the breakup that much worse. Xander and Anya was really sad too since Xander left her on their wedding day and knew he had been having doubts but didn't wait until the wedding to act on them. Poor Anya.

But for me the most sad was Spike and Dru since they had been together for a century and had such a touching relationship for two evil vampires. Spike being all sad over her in "Lovers Walk" was so sad but funny at the same time lol all those memories he brings up and saying that what he misses most about her is that she's out of her mind lol so sweet.

BuffyBot22

Scooby
For me it's Buffy and Angel- and this is answer is completely subjective because I connect the most to Buffy as a character. They loved each other so much, but they had to let each other go. It was inevitable. Their break up in the sewers was gut wrenching, but the hardest part was probably when he told her he wasn't going to say goodbye and then she saw him after the fight just walk away. I cried like a baby....

Objectively- Xander and Anya's was probably the most real world sad. Xander left her at the alter in front of all those people. That break up wasn't just gut wrenching, but also humiliating.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I'd say Xander and Anya, and it was torture watching it a second time with others (it's too painful to watch). But for some reason I find myself really ticked off at Anya right now. Xander, too, for obvious reasons, but Anya never regretted her history of vengeance, and when someone gets vengeance against her (much less than what she herself dished out) then she cries herself a river. I can't stand people like that (my mother was that way so maybe it's a bit personal). That just makes my sympathy for her dry up, and I feel as sorry for her as I do Willow when Tara leaves her (as in, not).

It's unusual for me to hate or despise a character and I'm sure it will pass (because I usually don't feel this way about Anya and not sure where this feeling bordering on hatred for Anya is coming from all of a sudden), but as we've got plenty of people on BB willing (maybe even driven) to spew bile on characters that many others love, I figured I'd share of my sentiment here.

So I'll guess I'll have to go with Oz/Willow, even if I have to accept that if Willow was truly gay then it was doomed anyway and should've happened sooner.

You know what, I'm gonna go with Cordelia/Xander, though my sympathy is reserved strictly for Cordelia (who also got impaled, as well as her giving up so much for him, letting her defenses down only to be hurt like that). I guess Willow (who is gay and hates Cordelia, and hurt Xander would go with Cordelia when he ignored her desire to be with him) got her revenge after all, as well as finally feeling more desirable than Cordelia. Just because I seem to be in an odd mood (and about to go to bed) I'll wait until tomorrow before I actually make a choice in the poll. If I still feel this way tomorrow then I'll click "other" (assuming I remember to come back to this thread).

Last edited:

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
Willow & Oz gets me every time, because it's not a pivotal relationship in the show (not compared to Angel and Buffy, for example) and despite this, Alyson & Seth really give it their all. I hate to see Alyson cry.

JCoatsworth

UP THE IRONS!
Black Thorn
Willow and Oz for me, no doubt. It was so great to see their relationship form in seasons 2 and 3, and I could identify quite well with the character of Oz right from the beginning. And not just with his basic character traits. I mean, I'm even playing the lead guitar in a band.

RomanticSoul

Frell Me
HAVE YOU NO HEART? lol ;)
Eh. Heart, shmart. It's overrated anyhow.

Spike's death, in chosen. You see how much Buffy loved him and how she's on the verge on tears.
The topic is break-ups, not most heartbreaking death. And if you want to argue that death is a break-up too, then I feel the need to point out that Buffy and Spike weren't together.

I love how the Spike/Spuffy fans complain how Spike/Spuffy always has to be brought up even in threads that have nothing to do with them. Yet they are the ones constantly bringing them up. I do appreciate irony. Always.

Scooby Corps

Fly! Be free, little bird, you defy category!
Only that S07 couldn't hammer it down more that Buffy luurrves Spike above everyone else. I don't take Spike's words as gospel truth here.

1. Willow & Oz
2. Buffy & Angel
3. Xander & Anya
4. Buffy & Riley
5. Willow & Tara
6. Fred & Gunn

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I voted for Buffy and Riley because the fact that Buffy couldn't get to Riley in time was very upsetting to me as we hardly ever see Buffy that powerless.
Of course Bangel ending was heartbreaking to me but at least Angel had a valid reason for leaving and had made his peace with Buffy before he left.
Also Spike dying is a death not a breakup that doesn't count lol...that's why Jenny/Giles wasn't an option because they never broke up, Jenny died.

Top Bottom