• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Most realistically relatable tv show seen lately

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Which tv shows are closest to most relatable to you from a realistic point of view post 2000?

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
The vast majority of TV shows are inclusive of over the top bad guys, designed to make the show more interesting. Even many documentaries include crap to make them seem interesting. Some, like those made by the American History Channel seem to think that constant repetition is a good thing, and what about all the entertainment factor in adverts?
Documentary type shows about Space are quite good.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
No one does real life drama like the Quebequois.

Actually Canadian TV shows tend to be pretty realistic. The original Degressi and Degrassi the Next Generation (the first few seasons, not the latests) were both pretty realistic highschool dramas.

Orphan Black might have been science fiction but a lot of the science was well thought out and applicable. I enjoyed and related to that one as a scientifically inclined person.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
When I was younger I found Skins really relatable because the group dynamics, partying and drinking/drugs were very much reminiscent of my last couple of years of high school. I've found that other shows have relatable aspects or characters but aren't that relatable overall.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
Agents of Shield - I know that's weird but dramas set in the real world don't really relate to me or my experiences. For reasons, the Fitzsimmons relationship when it has often dealt with mental health, with Fitz' brain injury or Gemma being the one to continuing to love a man she knows has another side to him. AoS has a heightened sense of reality in a way that allows it to explore dark human problems, and I can relate more to those than what characters deal with in 'real world' shows.

Octavia
Octavia
Totally agree.

Kratos

Potential
The most realistic show is The Fugitive imo (the tv series with David Janssen), as Kimble does everyday human stuff in most episodes. That makes him more relatable to me than other characters on tv.

Last edited:

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
There was a show called "Perfect Couples" that aired a decade ago, it had this one scene where a group of late twenty somethings decided to stay up all night and drink, like it was college again, it then transitions to the group waking up, hungover on a Wednesday Morning. It was perfect.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
Tales of the City was pretty relatable as a member of the LGBT community.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
I tried and watched various TV shows:
The Chilling Tales of Sabrina - someone should tell them chilling does not mean its cold outside at night.
The Discovery of Witches - The show tells you that witches were always known of, thereby the writers proved themselves wrong.
Charmed: The Charmed ones were as Wicca as Willow was, not!
The Good Witch - They can't get that wrong I thought but they tried as hard as they could, having a self righteous doctor spout the similar crap as some church folk do. Plus being America the religious folk could burn people alive.
The Vampire Diaries - How can scriptwriters get the facts so wrong and still be accepted by their peers?
True Blood - If it wasn't for multiple folk getting naked every episode (?) what would the ratings have been like?
And that many shows that said the truth of the book Dracula, yet each was different.
So have you ever tried to read the book Dracula? Surely it must have been written by a mad Irishman, oh wait, it was.

So I turned to Netfix, they should surely do right by us. I turned my attentions to Wolf Blood, yeah I know it was for young teens. But what do I find Netflix only shows 3 seasons of the 5 seasons filmed. So much for Netflix.
I'll stick to watching documentaries about the Universe, it might not be relatable but at least it's true.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
For me, I could say The OA, especially since much of it revolves around being trapped in a system and controlled by outside forces. The way to freedom is unconventional and heavily ridiculed. Movement is the key. It all makes sense to me (and many others with clinically diagnosed PTSD).

Bluebird
Bluebird
Sci fi shows are much better at potraying human problems, it's just more figurative than literal -and can go further with it because it's figurative (eg Fitz)

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Have to say for real human interaction/drama, I'd have to go with: Halt & Catch Fire and Once & Again.

Top Bottom