• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Most Underrated Ships?

dtrain24

Potential
Yeah, yeah, I know. But I was thinking about some Buffy ships that are canon and don't ever really get the love they deserve, whether it's because they're brief, or no one cares.

For me, the one that immediately comes to mind is one I like to call Calendiles. If the term already exists....well, I thought of it on my own, trust me haha.

It was such a great relationship while it lasted, and since it was so brief, it never gets the recognition it deserves in Buffy lore. It's so much better than Gilivia. (Thought up that one too.....)

Thoughts? What are some Buffy ships that you feel are underrepresented/underrated?

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Angel/Darla they have great chemistry even if she was doomed as a human. I still feel they've could've done more with 'evil' Darla. She had evil mastermind written all over her.
Angel/Gwen they kissed, it was hot, she could touch him without that little electonic gizmo. They just looked good together.

Buffy/Riley doesn't really get enough credit. It made Buffy happy and angst-free for a time.
Spike/Dru They were great fun together.

Athena

Has anyone seen my human vessel?
Staff member
Black Thorn
Willow/Oz - everyone gives lots of credit to Willow/Tara, for being a good example of a same-sex couple on TV, but Oz and Willow were great together too. He was a sweetheart; he was patient, loving and loyal (I ignore the whole Veruca thing, given that was some weird animal attraction?).

Scooby Corps

Fly! Be free, little bird, you defy category!
I actually fancied Olivia. Would have liked to get to know her better in the show, partly because Giles' midlife crisis arc beginning in S04 annoyed me to no end.

Fred/Gunn was okay and worked fine until to the point where abrasive Gunn and creepy Wesley started to fight over her.:rolleyes:

Buffy/Scott... kidding.

Joyce needed a love interest (for a semi-long period, as in a couple of episodes) who wasn't evil, a jerk or a robot. But not Giles!

Last edited:

dtrain24

Potential
@GwenRaiden Yeah, innocent is a good word for it, which is why I think I enjoyed it so much in hindsight. I would've loved for it to have been expanded on for more than one season, but at least Passion was a brilliantly-crafted episode to make up for losing Jenny.

@Athena Yes. While I loved Willow/Tara, I also loved Willow and Oz. Now that I think about it, they actually really don't get much love in hindsight. Probably because of the recency bias and just how good Willow/Tara was ended up overshadowing Willow and Oz.

GoSpuffy

Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer
Black Thorn
Jenny and Giles were great, I never warmed as much to Olivia but she wasn't around much so that's probably why.

Of all the Angel pairings Angel/Darla was best. Darla seemed to be his soulmate to me.

dtrain24

Potential
@GoSpuffy I think the problem with Olivia is that she appeared in less than a handful of episodes, and her relationship with Giles was never properly set up to the audience. It's bad that it's hard to remember many of her lines/seasons/storyline just because her character was so bland and undeveloped. It felt kind of forced.

Meanwhile, Jenny and Giles was fostered over the course of a season and a half or so, with a great build-up, ups and downs, and unfortunately, end.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Olivia was in "The Freshman", "Hush" and "Restless". Just three episodes. But someone who is willing to undergo the hassles of air travel at a terminal followed by thirteen hours in the air, probably changing planes in New York to be with Giles than go through all the same hassles and maybe an hour less air time if they catch the jetstream to return to Britain and get back home seems to be quite dedicated to Giles. If somebody wanted to be with me that much, I wouldn't assume it was just a fling. And they would have spent a lot of money on this trip. I think this indicated great determination on her part which would have been part of a great relationship.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Cordy and Wes. I mean don't get me wrong I think they work better as friends, but I do like the chemstry they had on Angel and even Buffy;) And as an odd couple they could have been interested to see.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
The first one that came to mind was from Angel; Angel/Nina. Sorry, but I really enjoyed this one. It felt very organic, and like they became friends first, got to know each other as two consenting adults. They made each other smile, they build a history, they were really cute together. Very underrated, if you ask me (which you technically did) ;)

W

WillowFromBuffy

Willow and Kennedy
Willow and Xander
Fred and Gunn
Wes and Lilah
Giles and Ethan
Faith and Wood (and stop with the Fuffy nonsense)

I would add Willow and Oz, but I would argue it is a fairly popular ship. Hell, I would add Willow and Tara, because people don't love them enough.

Puppet
Puppet
Weslah is the best!
Last Watcher
Last Watcher
Fuffies wont stop till the subtext is text :p
caitaintdead
caitaintdead
Good lord I hate Fuffy. Spew.
Willow Tara
Willow Tara
Yes! There can never be ENOUGH love for Willow/Tara 😍 💕

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
Willow and Fred
Faith and Fred
Willow and Faith
Angel and Nina
Giles and Ethan
Doyle and Cordy
Willow and Kennedy

Faith and Wood
Now why would you ruin such great characters by shipping them with self centered lunatics?:rolleyes:
and stop with the Fuffy nonsense
It's not nonsense. It's magic. And it's real. Prove to me they didn't have a hidden relationship in season 3.

Last Watcher
Last Watcher
Even Eliza knows the truth that is Fuffy!!!! ;)
Willow Tara
Willow Tara
Yeees!!! Fred/Willow! And Fuffy!!!

white avenger

white avenger
Angel and Nina
I honestly think that, if there had been a televised Season 6, Angel's relationship with Nina would have been expanded and, quite possibly, developed to the point that more people would have appreciated, or at least accepted, it, the same as they did Riley with Buffy. Sure, we all knew, from the very first, that Briley was a temporary, stop gap measure. No one really doubted that he was an "in the meantime" guy. They started out by saying that Nina wasn't going to have the same intense effect on Angel that Buffy had, and that was exactly why they could be together. Nina would have given Angel someone to love without putting his soul in jeopardy, something that Buffy, and possibly, Cordy, could never do.

Puppet
Puppet
Exactly why I mentioned them, too. Not every relationship needs to be 'soul risking'.

margybee

Townie
Honestly, and I know this isn't the way ships work exactly, but relationships don't have to be romantic. Sometimes I like the platonic ones even more. Personally, I love Giles and Buffy's relationship, and Willow and Buffy's friendship. I think they're the strongest in the show, except maybe for Willow and Xander. Yeah, okay, basically the core four. I just love how they interact, how they know each other so well, all of it. Not romantically. Just good old platonic love. We don't see enough of that, I think.

There's a great scene at the beginning of "A New Man" where Buffy and Willow are having breakfast together. They have some great lines and the dynamic between the two is so wonderful to watch! "I like pancakes cause they're stackable. And waffles, cause you can put things in the little holes if you want to." "Um, I kinda... kicked Riley across the room last night." After Buffy says she'll hang out with Riley, Willow says, smiling, "oh right, that's what you do on the days that the earth rotates." Such a special friendship! They've got good times and bad times, and that proves what a lasting relationship they have.

Anyway, sorry about the ramble!

Top Bottom