• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Movie Thread: Hidden Gems

JCoatsworth

UP THE IRONS!
Black Thorn
So, I came across this gif...

...and I began thinking about my personal hidden movie gems. Movies which I like but nobody else seems to like, know, or care about. Here are some of mine:

What are yours?

Puppet
Puppet
De Grønne Slagtere is amazing and sooo hilarious. Even better in Danish, btw ;)

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I love Zero Effect and H3 is a must see.. plus the damn commerical sticks in your head. I wouldnt call Coma a hidden gem, but maybe it was just more popular here.

GwenRaiden
GwenRaiden
Percodan. Basically oxycodone and aspirin. Bit stronger than Tylenol. I know my drugs, duuuuuude.

JCoatsworth

UP THE IRONS!
Black Thorn
Well, yes, I guess it depends on where you live and maybe if you were around when it came out, but I don't think I know anybody who knows Coma, except my mom who is a big Michael Crichton fan. I think it's an excellent little techno thriller.

S
Spanky
That's what I heard at the time.. like he was some big movie star. I might have heard total bunk but I didnt know any better.

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
First of all I love Moon. Anything with Sam Rockwell is a hit for me because he's the most gorgeous man I've ever seen and such an underrated actor. Ahem. Anyway.

This small list I've made I would say a few people from here have probably seen some of them, but IRL I don't know many or any that have seen them.

Storytelling (2001) - a very grim black comedy.
Jeff, Who Lives at Home (2011) - a nice, quiet, thought-provoking comedy.
Freebie and the Bean (1974) - action-packed precursor to the buddy cop genre with the tagline "Above all.. it's a love story".
She's So Lovely (1997) - romance and addiction collide, as dark as it as light with some fitting comedy. James Gandolfini as the abusive neighbour is fantastic.
SLC Punk! (1998) - a coming of age comedy-drama centred around the daily lives of two punks living in Salt Lake City, Utah, and their run-ins with the other subcultures in the area.
Buffalo '66 - an independent comedy-drama-romance showing the lonely and depressing life of an ex-con who was found guilty of a crime he didn't commit.
Thumbsucker (2005) - another independent comedy-drama about an adolescent male trying to deal with his thumb-sucking problem while experimenting with sex, drugs and hypnosis.
Irréversible (2002) - A French revenge-thriller with a narrative that is out of order. Hard to watch but at the same time insanely captivating.
Videodrome (1983) - One of David Cronenberg's best for me. The dangers of television, political mind-control, sex, violence, sci-fi, horror, gory body transformation; it's got it all. Long live the new flesh.
Quatermass and the Pit (1967) - One of the creepiest Hammer Horrors I've experienced. Sci-fi and satanic, aliens, a looming end of the world event, great acting, smart story and amazingly scary theories throughout.

JCoatsworth
JCoatsworth
Moon is totally awesome. I need to rewatch Videodrome. Apart from that, I don't know any of these. Thanks for the list!
S
Spanky
I knew it was bob! who od'd on like tylenol or something wannit? something like that.

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
Ten Inch Hero is one of my all time favorite movies.

Chance is a great movie, and something all BtVS fans should watch.

The Losers is a film that no one seems to know about, despite the fact that it has 3 Marvel stars and Jeffery Dean Morgan, but it's a great movie, so funny.

S
Spanky
You just called me no one. :(

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
SLC Punk! (1998) - a coming of age comedy-drama centred around the daily lives of two punks living in Salt Lake City, Utah, and their run-ins with the other subcultures in the area.
And it stars the German Tom Cruise! That was a favorite of mine for awhile.. I liked how (whatshisname) was just a poser and when (bob?) died he went back to his old life.

GwenRaiden
GwenRaiden
Stevo, and Heroin Bob.
JCoatsworth
JCoatsworth
Is Til Schweiger considered the German Tom Cruise?? :O
ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
That's what I call a good insult, being compared to that doic Tom Cruise.

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
I also forgot these British films:

Kill List (2011) - One of the most horrific endings to a film I've ever seen. It feels like a sort of British crime drama to begin with, but man oh man, it doesn't end that way. Please watch it if you like films with a twist or ten and a bit of absolute horror.

The next one is a trilogy of films from 2009 called Red Riding, based on a quartet of books. Set in Yorkshire, England, against the backdrop of serial murders in 1974-1983, including the Yorkshire Ripper killings. Police corruption, cover-ups, paedophile rings, organised crime all set in a politically bleak time for the working class of Northern England, feature at the core of the story. Some of the best film making and acting I've ever seen, and a hard story to forget. The three films star Andrew Garfield, Sean Bean, David Morrissey, Sean Harris, Paddy Considine, Peter Mullan and Rebecca Hall.
They were shown here on TV as three feature-length films, one per night, although they're fantastic films on their own aswell, but obviously knowing the story from the beginning helps. Once you pop you can't stop. Heartily recommended to everyone.
Red Riding: In the Year of our Lord 1974
Red Riding: In the Year of our Lord 1980
Red Riding: In the Year of our Lord 1983

Faith
Faith
I like the sound of those, im going to have to watch them. I love a good murder.

Faith

Bite Me!
Administrator
Black Thorn
I came across What Maisie Knew on Netflix with Alexander Skarsgard, a nice little independent movie. I do also love Game Plan with The Rock.

S
Spanky
I was REALLY confused until I realized this was not the Halloween movie thread.
GwenRaiden
GwenRaiden
Oh, please do. You'll never be able to forget them. Anyone I've recommended them to has loved how dark they are.
Top Bottom