1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Mr Trick does the Angel: After the Fall review thingy

Discussion in 'Angel: After the Fall' started by Mr Trick, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Decided I would give the Angel comics a try, starting with After a the Fall. Depending on how much I like them I might the rest a try too in which case I will review them also. Think I will check out Angel & Faith, but might read Buffy S8 first because someone told me that I need to read that to understand the Angel/Faith spin off.

I just read the first ATF comic the other day and will try and get a review up in the next couple of days. I have not read a lot of comic books before so my reviews might not be the best, but hope you like them anyway. Also, if anyone can suggest cheap places or websites to get hold of them than that would be useful too.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  2. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    If you get on with Angel AtF and want to try Buffy season 8, season 9 and Angel & Faith season 9 then you could buy the lot in trade paperback form from me. I've been buying the library editions so should probably clear some space.

3. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Thanks for the offer. I will think it over. At this point I really don't know how many of the comics I will read. I'm not as keen on reading the Buffy ones for reasons stated before.

4. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    I'd never read any comics before either. Can't remember if I started with After the Fall or Season 8 now. It takes a bit of time to adjust. Your friend is right though, you really need to have read Season 8 before Angel & Faith. After the Fall works fine without needing to look at anything else.

5. VisionBoy

VisionBoy Scooby

Sineya
    Hope you enjoy. Interested to hear what you think of it. ATF was one of my favourite Buffy verse comics thus far, I found it very enjoyable. Plus you don't really have to read anything before or after it, it's nicely satisfying by itself IMO.

I have some catching up to do on Angel & Faith, I'm still only on the first season, but I'd also highly recommend that. It's well written and is believable as it's own series, I can totally picture a lot of it on TV (which is always a nice touch for me with TV show based comics). Reading BTVS s8 does help and the season did have some great moments for me, but overall I'm not that keen on the Buffy comics either. I'd say give them a go, but if you really don't like them, you could probably just get away with reading the last two volumes if all you want is to understand Angel & Faith.

Silverspike likes this.
  6. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Good stuff guys. Yeah the Angel and Faith spin off did catch my attention. I love the Faith character and it will be interesting to see what she can do sharing the spot-light with Angel.

The Ferg: Faith has never been more interesting than she was in A&F.
    VisionBoy likes this.
  7. The Ferg

The Ferg Mine is an evil laugh!

After The Fall is really freakin good. In fact, it might be my favorite 'story' from Angel ever. That and BS8 made me into the huge comic fan I am now. I should warn you about a few things though...
    1. Don't expect greatness in the art. Personally, I love Franco Urru, who did Issues 1-5, and 15-17 (he also does all of Brian Lynch's Spike stuff, which you should also read if you enjoy AtF), but the art goes seriously downhill when Nick Runge and Stephen Mooney jump on. I don't think it's ever bad enough for the story to faulter, but it does suck, really bad.
    2. The first volume (issues 1-5) takes place a little after the initial "fall," but the second volume (issues 6-8), goes back to immediately after Not Fade Away. It's pretty awesome (especially the Gunn finale), but just letting you know... the main story is going to take a little break before it kicks into high gear.

Not everything from IDW is phenomenal, but a lot of it is definitely worth a shot, specifically everything by Brian Lynch. This guy is probably the best writer we've ever had on a Whedonverse comic, and it's such a shame that Dark Horse probably hasn't even considered hiring him.

You must read BS8 before A&F.
    I started reading with BS8, and since then I've grown quite fond of comics, and have read and collected hundreds of them (probably getting pretty close to a thousand) too. With that being said, After The Fall (1-17), BS8 (the first half, 1-20), and A&F (season 9, 1-25) are truly some of the best stories you can find in the medium, especially and obviously, if you're already a Buffy/Angel/Whedon fan.

Honestly dude, Amazon usually has the best deals. You can buy every trade for $10 or less. Comixology is also a good option, if you don't mind reading digitally.
    And no worries about not reading comics before! I'm sure I wasn't the only fan to read AtF and BS8 and have no prior experience. They're both extremely new-reader friendly. Can't wait for your reviews!

Mr Trick likes this.
  8. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby