• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Mr Trick Does the Angel rewatch thingy

Mr Trick

Scooby
So I have only watched the show all the way through once. And like with Buffy have the desire to rewatch it as soon as possible to get more out of it and see if things change for me second time around.

On my first viewing I found Angel to be a slow starter with the first two seasons hit and miss, but S3 onwards it really got going. While not being as good as Buffy, at it best it could at least match that show. First time around my favourite season was 4 despite the weak ending to it.

Anyway, I have all the seasons except the second (will be looking out for a cheap version of that in the coming weeks..). So this Friday after having handed in a bit of work I will start my Angel rewatch with a double viewing, and from there will be reviewing each episode. Hope you can all join me.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
On my first viewing I found Angel to be a slow starter with the first two seasons hit and miss, but S3 onwards it really got going. While not being as good as Buffy, at it best it could at least match that show.
I always thought the first two seasons were good and the third was still pretty good, but the rest was eh.. also thought first few seasons were better than Buffy and then the show, more or less, turned into Buffy. Until the last few episodes of the series.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I always thought the first two seasons were good and the third was still pretty good, but the rest was eh.. also thought first few seasons were better than Buffy and then the show, more or less, turned into Buffy. Until the last few episodes of the series.
First season is maybe better than first season Buffy (although like many here I think that is better than is often given credit for). Season 2 Buffy is much better than S2 Angel IMO. But who knows that might change;)

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
No, no, I meant in relations to others.. have to compare first season of Angel against 4th season of Buffy, etc.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Got you. Really like season 4 of Buffy despite its flaws. It has some of the best stand alone episodes of ever, and extends the whole narrative of the gang facing the challenges of growing up. Having only seen the first season of Angel once up to this point it is hard to really compare, but for now would say that Buffy S4 easily trumps it. Buffy 5 beats Angel 2. Angel 3 beats Buffy 6. Angel 4 beats Buffy 7.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
I think I'm with you. Even though the 4th season of Buffy and Angel have a lot of flaws, I still really enjoy them overall. And they end a similar way, in that the last episode is about setting up the next season. I think that Angel s2 is the best season of the show, but that's cause I really love the Darla arc. So for me Angel 2 beats Buffy 2 but only slightly. Nothing beats Buffy 3 though. Anyways. Enjoy the rewatch, look forward to hearing what you think about the show a 2nd time around.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
I've been meaning to rewatch it too, it's been far too long. But I'm too busy right now, and too many shows to finish! I'll be looking forward to your reviews :)

B

Buffonia96

I am ashamed to say I have only seen a handful of Angel episodes as I have always just rewatched Buffy. But I will start from season 1 and try and join in the rewatch, expect it'll be my first time lol. I received the seasons as a Christmas gift and I can't wait to get stuck in. As soon as my exams finish I will be able to join in :) I look forward to your reviews also!

Mr Trick

Scooby
I am ashamed to say I have only seen a handful of Angel episodes as I have always just rewatched Buffy. But I will start from season 1 and try and join in the rewatch, expect it'll be my first time lol. I received the seasons as a Christmas gift and I can't wait to get stuck in. As soon as my exams finish I will be able to join in :) I look forward to your reviews also!
Look forward to a lot of lively debates with you;)

It is always exciting to view a show for the first time, not least when you have been meaning to watch it for awhile, and have heard so much good stuff about it.

B

Buffonia96

So am I ;) yea exactly I can't wait to get into it. Plus it'll help around here, there's lots of Angel references mentioned and I have no idea what's going on lol.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Right so tonight armed with a carrot cake, an Apple, and some juice (tis the life!;)) and free from work (for now) I dived back into the world of Angel with a double bill of City of... and Lonely Hearts. I won't bother with individual ratings for the episodes, but will give a season rating at the end of each.

City of...

The episode opens with a shot of the bright LA skyline. We are introduced to Angel through his voice-over which informs us that he is in LA because of a girl. We then cut to a drunken Angel discussing said girl in a bar (straight away Whedon plays with the viewer expectations). Angel says "you remind me of her" cut to a guy with no hair, Angel "because of the hair":D Next our hero bumps up against a guy who he suspects could be trouble. He is trouble, in fact he and his friends are Vampires. Angel saves a girl from the vamps in an alley, the best line here is Angel's "Breath mint?" As the girl attempts to thank Angel, he firmly suggests that she goes home. Out hero finishes the last vampire off and leaves through the shadows. This is a different kind of hero to Buffy. Titles.

Post-titles we follow Angel to his dusty appartment which resembles 'the Bat cave' and Doyle arrives and makes that very gag (I tell you I got there first!). Doyle fills in the blanks for anyone who didn't watch Buffy;) and then explains that he is a demon sent by 'the powers that be' to aid Angel help in his quest to help the good. This is a fun little scene as at least Boreanaz and Quinn have natural chemstry. Angel nicely dead panning off Doyle's wsie cracking quirks. Doyle later informs Angel that he has visions and that Angel's first case concerns a girl named Tina. Tina is a waitress and Angel talks her into meeting him after her shift presuading Tina that like her he is lonely (stritctly not a lie). Later Tina meets him peper spray believing that he is working for some guy named Russell. Angel talks her around, and they attend a Hollywood party, where Tina is meeting a friend. Angel is left alone and bumps into an old Sunnydale friend, Cordelia, and indeed Cordy is on vintage form. This exchange is the highlight of the episode. She is pursuing an actor career (of course!), she then goes on, "Are you still, em, Grr"? Angel "yeah there's no actual cure for that" (funny you should say that Angel because there just might be;)). Cordelia, "I should be mingling. I need to be talking to people who are actually someone" As she leaves Angel deadpans, "Its good she has grown as a person" Nice!:p Tina splits as her friend hasn't paid her the money she owns her. Angel is still none the wiser.

A gang sent by Russell kidnapp Tina back at her apartment. Angel makes the save. We cut to a sumble Cordelia listening to her messages, still no luck on the acting front. Back at Angel's place our guy reassures Tina that she can stay with him she gets straightened out. Angel asks about Russell, and doesn't get much apart from that Tina's friend Denise has gone missing. Through some clunky developments Tina finds out that Angel knew her name (before meeting her), and more crucially that he is a VAMPIRE!:eek: Tina flies, but runs into Russell back at her place, and as it turns out he too is a vampire, but unlike our friend Angel he lacks a soul. Angel arrives too late to prevent Tina's death. Doyle says that Angel he shouldn't blame himself for Tina's death, big help... We then see the debut of babyface, but sinister Wolfham & Heart lawyer Lindsey is advising his client Russell on a cover story for Tina's murder. Russell is destracted by a video of Tina at the party. "She really could have been something" What a creep:mad: He then spots Cordy on the video and likes the look of her. Angel uses some muscle to track Russell down. We then see Cordy at home doing yoga, she gets a call from Margo (only in Hollywood), who tells Cordy that Russell would like to set up a meeting with her, and that he is so much more than a local business man (how right she was). When they meet Russell turns on the charm, but his smile gives him away (not very convincing), as does his home as Cordy smartly points out, NICE! The second great Cordy line is coming up, as Angel busts in on them just in time, Russell, "You made a big mistake coming here" Cordy, "You don't know who he is do you? Oh boy, you're about to get your arse kickd!" CLASSIC CORDY!:p Angel kicks said arse, but then makes a quick escape with Cordy when Russell's goons fire bullets at him. Doyle provides the getaway car. Later when attending to Angel's wounds naturally Cordy is more concerned with her own safety:D

The next day Angel interupts a meeting at W&H. Russell cockily tries to talk him down. Russell, "I can do anything in this town" Angel, "Really? Can you fly?" In a cracking set piece Angel sends the villian crashing through the window while in his chair, my third highlight of the episode. Back at Angel's we see him call a girl (Buffy I assume), but hangs up when she answers. Cordy in her own kind of way presuades Angel that she should work for him, (but of course it is only temporary "until my Hollywood career takes off;)), and that they might leave need a business plan. It is revealed that Doyle has a thing for Cordy. The episode ends with Angel and Doyle looking over the same L.A. skyline as we saw at the start of the episode, Doyle, "Are you game?" Angel, "I'm game".

This was a strong opening episode. It nicely bridged the gap between Buffy and the very different world of the Angel show in L.A. The basic themes and characters are set up effectivley. Even if I am still unconvinced by the Doyle character or the actor (more on this later) his early interactions with Angel were smooth. Tracy Middendorf gives a great performance as Tina. There are some fun one liners, and kick arse fight scenes. And we get the old Cordy, but with just a little hint of something new. A solid pilot.

Lonely Heart

Business is clearly slow around the office as Doyle tries to convince Angel that with it being friday they should go out on the town. The anti-social Vamp is not having any of it. Cordelia enters with some business cards which amusely has an Angel symbol on which the boys struggle to make out. Doyle gets a vision of a girl in danger at a club, and our heros are going out on the town after all. We see a young girl being approached by a guy at the club, credits. As the trio arrives the guy and girl are hitting it off at the bar. Cordy desides to drum up business, but Doyle advises her that it might be best to keep a low profile, suggesting that their brand of justice might not match that of traditional law enforcement. This is a good foreshadowing of a them later in the episode. Angel meets a girl called Kate at the bar, it seems that she too is lonesome. This theme runs throughout the episode as the show links the character's search for information to them actually being isloated. To keep his identity a secret Angel claims he is an 'veterinian' nice gag!:p As Angel and Kate are struggling to spark (both characters and actors), despite her suggesting that they go somewhere Doyle gets into a fight with some jerk who insaults Cordy. Angel steps in, and some girl attempts to chat him up.

We then see the girl from the pre-credit seqence who is in bed with the guy she met at the bar. Back at the club the gang pine over their empty lives, we then return to the bedroom to find the guy dead in the bed, with girl getting dressed in a nice turning of the tables. They trio later through that tool of knowledge 'the web' find out that the guy from the previous scene has been discovered in a dumpster and that he was seen with the girl. Returning to the club Angel finds Kate outside, she looks upset with him for turning her down the previous night. When advising her not to go into the club, she responds by telling him to "go to hell". Inside Kate takes a seat next to the killer who is eyeing up her/its next victim. More Cordy/Doyle stuff which is a bit dull. Angel gets a lead on the girl, but it comes too late as we see her in bed with another guy. She plunges a worm like vessal into his back, and thus takes over his body. As Angel arrives he gets into a fight with the beast, but the plot thickens when Kate arrives with gun, and badge, thats right SHE'S A COP!!o_O To make matters worse she sees girls body in the bed and assumes that Angel is the killer, he tries to persuade her that their on the same side, but she's having none of it. She attempts an arrest, but Angel manages to escape.

Back at the office we get more Cordy/Doyle banter. Angel explains the Kate situation and that he has been doing his home work on the demon. There's a good line about the demon wanting to make a connection because they are lonely. The next section is a cool musical motage as an Emo track plays out we see the demon targetting its next pray/Kate hunting Angel/Angel finding the dead body (again too late). More group discussion, Cordy steals this scene with her "Cagney and Lancey" line about Kate who Angel has decided to call. The two exchange some cool film noir dialoge. Despite still not trusting him, Kate decides to meet Angel back at the club. After asking the bartender to tell her when Angel arrives Kate is joined by a guy, but before he can work his magic, she is told by the bartender that Angel is out back. This is another bluff (for both audience and character), as the bar owner is revealed to be the demon and attacks Kate. Angel again makes the save, but he and Kate end up getting locked in the seller. The demon grows more tense as his advances are rejected by various women, before Angel finally escapes and presues it into the alley, Angel sets it on fire with fuel, and Kate seals the deal with a bullet. They part on good terms, as she reveals that she searched Angel's placea and was telling him so they could make a fresh start. Angel gives her his business card which she thinks is a'lobster'! Could this be the start of a beautiful friendship? Back at the office the episode comes full circle, exampt this time it is Angel suggesting they go out. Cordy and Doyle have had enough excitment for one night.

I was not so keen on Lonely Heart as the previous episode. It had some solid ideas, and the thread of undercover people such as Kate and Angel being lonely was an interesting one, and their relationship is teased quite nicely. However, it lacks the flow of City Of... and just isn't as exciting in terms of big moments, or character deveolpment. Cordy was put on a tight lease for most the episode, and I just find Doyle too light weight. Also, the actress playing Kate did struggle to spark with DB. Hit and miss. Tomorrow I will do another double bill with reviews of In the Dark, and I Fall to Pieces.

Yanka
Yanka
I liked this even before I read it simply because you were armed with carrot cake haha.
Antho
Antho
Great post.. I only read your opinon on "City Of" ( it's the first time i watch Angel and i try to avoid spoilers) and I'm okay with everything you say. It's a strong pilot.
B

Buffonia96

Really great overview of the episodes :) I only read the first one because it's the only one I've seen so far. For my first Angel viewing I thought it was a good opening episode as well. Cordy and her humour is great, especially the ass kicking bit, and the Grrrr still a vamp bit of course. I was kind of wondering about Doyle too just because he's new but I'm looking forward to seeing more development of his character. He's Irish too so I'll give him a fair chance lol. I loved the can you fly bit, Angels attitude is great. I can't wait to see their new plan working together, I look forward to the next episode, I'm sure il get more into the flow of the show.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Really great overview of the episodes :) I only read the first one because it's the only one I've seen so far. For my first Angel viewing I thought it was a good opening episode as well. Cordy and her humour is great, especially the ass kicking bit, and the Grrrr still a vamp bit of course. I was kind of wondering about Doyle too just because he's new but I'm looking forward to seeing more development of his character. He's Irish too so I'll give him a fair chance lol. I loved the can you fly bit, Angels attitude is great. I can't wait to see their new plan working together, I look forward to the next episode, I'm sure il get more into the flow of the show.
Thanks. Think I will get back to this tomorrow.

bespangeled

Scooby
Black Thorn
I have to say that Kate annoyed me from the beginning - mainly it was her looks. Had she been anything but a small blond I probably would not have seen her as the required Buffy substitute.

Good reviews - keep going. And maybe ask some questions? Gives more to discuss.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I have to say that Kate annoyed me from the beginning - mainly it was her looks. Had she been anything but a small blond I probably would not have seen her as the required Buffy substitute.

Good reviews - keep going. And maybe ask some questions? Gives more to discuss.
Yeah the more I watch and thing about it the more the anti-Kate views maybe on to something. I did like the angle of her working for one kind of law enforcement and Angel for a completely different, as it meant they had things in common, but also were at odds about somethings too.

Mr Trick

Scooby
In the Dark

We open with a pretty girl running away from something down an alley. She bumps into her ex-Larry who threatens her, but Angel comes to the rescues and scares Larry off. We hear that Angel has been working with her for a while to help protect her from Larry. As their discussion carrys on, we get a shot of Angel's old buddy Spike watching them from the top of a building. In classic Spike fashion he mocks the Angel, by putting on an voice, the highlights being the "nercy boy hair gel" and "to the Angel mobile" comments:D Credits.

Post-credits we see another Sunnydale regular Oz driving into town. Oz and Cordelia share a moment, but soon run out of things to say to each other. Oz cuts to the chase and says that he has something for Angel. That something is a gift from Buffy, 'the ring of Amara'. Doyle points out that if Angel puts the ring on he cannot be killed, and therefore will be able to experience sunlight and other everyday human privliges. Angel is senstive about putting the ring on. As Oz, Cordy, and Doyle hit the town, Angel decides to hide the ring in the sewer. The next day Angel gets a call from Rachel (the girl from the start of the episode), she's in danager again. As he heads out to meet her, Spike pops up and the two get into one hell of a fight. As it turns out Spike is in town to nab the ring for himself. Cordy and Doyle show up to help Angel, Spike decides to back off for now.

Later as Angel returns to Rachel's we get more Cordy/Doyle banter. She is still not impressed with him, least of all his living space. In between this Doyle rings round town asking after Spike. Over at Rachel's Angel suggests that to feel safe from Larry she could go to a shelter. Rachel says that the problem is that she always ends up feeling sorry for him and is still likely to answer his calls for help. Angel says that the last time had to be just that, as if it wasn't for him Larry would have killed her. He says that the easy option would be for Rachel to just take Larry back, but than that wouldn't end good, but on the other hand the hard option is to have faith, but in the long term that would make her stronger. Was his choice of the word Faith a conindence?;)

Cordy retreads some old Spike stories to Doyle. Cordelia's odd enjoyment in telling these horror stories is classic Cordy! And Doyle's bemused response make it their best scene together so far even if it is brief. Angel calls, and Doyle gives him a lead on how he could track Spike down. We cut to Angel beating some answers out of demons at a bar. Angel catches Spike in a alley just as he is about to have his way with a girl. This is when the episode really kicks into high gear. Angel chases Spike down the alley they stop at a steel fence.

Angel "Do you think you can come to my town and pull this crap? You're a slow learner Spike"

Spike "I maybe a slow learner but,...

A man appears behind Angel as Spike's expression changes to one of swagger and confiderence. We hear the sound of chains and the next thing we know the unknown man wraps one around Angel's neck and forces him to the ground. Spike aids the full-stop. "Eventually I catch on" This scene is masterfully directed, written, and performed. Angel's brooding intensty gels really well with Spike's sinister coldness. Marsters is at his slippery, togue in cheek best too. This is classic Buffy Spike, where he relies more on tricks and master plans than actually being a bad arse. And the twist of his partner in crime waiting in the wings is effective too. This new guy looks like a psycho John Cusack but with very little hair!:eek:

Cordelia is concerned that Angel has not called yet. Doyle reassures her that its possible that he has dusted Spike and is enjoying the benefits of the ring. Doyle's description of Angel living it up on the beach with "bikini babes" quickly desolves (this is a constant across both Angel and Buffy) into the reality as we find Angel strung up at the mercy of Spike and evil John Cusack. EJC puts on some classic music (this is a nice send up of the traditional Hanibal Lecter figure as being upper class and into the arts). As he starts picking instruments of torture from a box Spike introduces him as Marcus.

Spike: "Marcus is an expert, some say artist, but I've never been comterable with labels. He's a bloody king of torture he is. Humans, demons, (smiles) even bloody politicians it makes no difference. Some say he invented many of the classics, but he won't tell me which ones. Beneath the cool exterior you'll find he's rather shy. Except with kids you like kids don't you Marcus? Well likes to eat, and other nasty things."

Angel reacts aggressively at this. Spike simply smiles. Marcus coolly puts on his glasses and rips open Angel's shirt.

Marcus: "His skin"
Spike: "Annoying isn't it? Still attached"
Marcus: "Over 200 years of living and still so little external damage. What about internal?"
Spike: "You two need to be alone, or can we get on with it?"
Marcus: "He's known love"
Spike: "And with the Slayer no less, how's that for perversion?"
Marcus: "And he has a soul"
Spike: "Right, a vampire with a soul, cursed to walk the earth, trying to do good. That's not going to be a problem is it?"
Marcus: "On the contray, creatures with souls have something to lose"
Spike: "Souls, fingers, toes, let's get choppin' shell we? I want my damn ring"
Marcus: "What do you want Angel?"
Angel: "Are you going to torture me or just bore me to death?"

Marcus stabs Angel with a hot poker. "Probably a little of both"
Spike: Someone's having shish kebab"

Spike's dialoge thoughout this scene is so rich and dramatic. I like how his smooth and cold delivery at the start slowly builds to the regular twisted/comic Spike persona. He is the perfect mouth piece for Marcus who himself is a man of few words, but makes the most out of the little he does use. Once again we see the pride and balls of the Angel character. Some time passes and Angel refuses to give up the whereabouts of the ring. Spike is starting to get impatient. Its a nice touch that his mood includes getting annoyed with the music and getting the composer wrong:D Its scenes like this which detail the unreveling of his character. When he explodes and threatens to stake Angel, Marcus points out that Angel knows that Spike won't kill him until he gets the ring, "he knows you're lying" Marcus says that soon he will know all about Angel and more, and that he knows "that he isn't lying"

Spike: (more smuggly) "I believe he does"
This is when Angel starts the mind games calling Spike an idoit for hireing a vampire to get the ring and trusting him not to do the dirty on Spike when he gets it. Spike sacastically dismisses this claiming that he hired someone who doesn't care about the ring, or anything else on god's green earth, except taking blokes apart one piece at a time. We then cut to Marcus who looks a bit peeved at Spike's dismissal of him. Even if Spike's reasoning sounds flawed, he is hardly going to admit that to Angel, and this rings true to his cocky state of mind which is often his undoing. Spike claims that this is Marcus' addiction just like the one Angel has for "slutty the vampire slayer":mad: The music stops, Spike rejoices in the moment, but this silence actually represents the start of his downfall. To further taght Angel, Spike mentions Buffy's new relationship (with Riley). This is a clever way of Angel finding out this cruical development without it seeming forced or without it having to distract from the plot.

Spike: "She's cute when she's hurting isn't she?"
Angel: She's cuter when she's kicking you're ass" Nice retort Angel sir!:p

Marcus changes the music and so Spike decides to get some fresh air as the torture resumes. We get a close up of Spike's face as he hears Angel groan.
Spike: "Now thats music" We then cut between Spike searching Angel's place for the ring, and Marcus' attempts to get its whereabouts from Angel. This include threatening him with light. Meanwhile, Cordy and Doyle are waiting for Spike with weapons in hand. Spike and Doyle trade insults. Spike informs them that Angel is currently being tortured to give up the ring's whereabouts, but knowing him he would die before giving it up. He says that if they give the ring to him he will return Angel alive. Cordy doesn't trust Spike, but Spike suggests that she doesn't have much choice. He leaves the ball in their court. Back underground Angel has managed to trap a stake under his feet, and suckers Marcus into thinking that he might be cracking, saying that all he wants is forgiveness. Marcus bites saying that the ring means nothing to Angel, that it is all about forgiveness and finding freedom, and that soon he will give him that freedom. At this point Angel attempts to use the stake, but Spike arrives to block this effort. Spike and Marcus both start torturing him.

Cordy and Doyle struggle to find the ring, so they try the sewer. When Cordy isn't looking Doyle switches on his demon face which allows him to find the ring. When Cordila asks him how he found it, he just claims that he got lucky. Cordy says they need a plan for Spike. They meet him as planned and say that they don't have the ring, but know how to get it, and if Spike shows them Angel alive he can have the ring. They follow Spike to find Angel and Marcus. Cordy shows real concern and desire to rescue Angel. Doyle tosses Spike the ring in return for Angel. But of course Spike isn't going to give him up, and they know this, which is why they have OZ waiting in the wings to drive in and cause the distraction allowing them to rescue Angel allowing the four of them to escape in the van. As this is happening Marcus has protrayed Spike (just like Angel predicted) and made off with the ring. Spike is pissed! The payoff of this sees him ranting about from now on having no more partners, being a low wolf etc..The irony being that Spike tends to trust the wrong people, and yet in order for him to suceed he needs some backup just like Buffy and Angel have. Spike burns his head from the daylight coming throw a whole, and concludes that he hopes that they bloody kill each other:cool:

We see Marcus enjoying the benefits of the ring. Back in the van, despite Cordy's concern about Angel needing treatment, Angel convinces OZ to turn around and go after Marcus recalling his thing for kids. Again, Angel is spot on and they manage to save some children as Marcus eyes them up. And charges from the van and as he starts to burn from the sun knocks himself and Marcus over the pier and into the sea below. We follow them underneath the pier as they start fighting back and fourth, this is a dramatic and eye catching seqence. Angel stabs a stake into Marcus who is of course protected by the ring, that is until Angel removes it to finish off the job. For the first time he decides to put the ring on himself and we see him enjoying daylight and freedom for the first time in 200 plus years. As the others catch up with him, Cordy's concern is touching, but Doyle tells her just to give Angel a moment.

Later Angel enjoys the sunsetting. He informs Doyle that he will not be seeing another one because he will not wear the ring again. Doyle asks why, and Angel suggests that he maybe hasn't atoned yet for his past actions. Doyle points out about all the people Angel could help during the day time. Angel says that they already have help, and that their lives are strutured staying safe during the day, so much so that it leaves them unprepared for what awaits at night. Adding that if he becomes one of them he might stop seeing that too. Angel crushes the ring. Doyle tells Angel that Rachel called and said that she had found faith. The pair wonder inside exchanging banter.

This was my favourite episode of the season so far. It had Spike at his richest and most dramatic, plus another very sinister villain. It had good twists and turns, a nice camio for OZ, brilliant action and drama, profound dialoge and it foreshadowed many of the things which were to come. Also, it was the first episode that we really saw Cordila starting to care about Angel, and to show more of a moral compus.

I Fall to Pieces

Cordy stresses over the bills, Doyle responds by flirting, but she has no time for that and again suggests that they should start charging clients. They both bring this up when Angel enters, but he doesn't think that they should charge people in need. Doyle then gets his latest vision of a woman in danger at an office. Cordy looks up the address and Angel heads out. Opening credits.

At the office a couple of people including Melissa the girl from Doyle's vision are preparing a cake for a co-worker. After surprising her, Melissa is informed that she has a delivery of flowers from a secret admirer. This seems to stress her out, we see her taking pills in the toilets. Later Angel approaches Melissa in the parking lot claiming that he is from a secret security firm, and believes that she could be in danger. Melissa seems even more worried, and takes Angel's card, but quickly drives off. Back at Angel investigations Angel is concerned that he might not have the most welcoming appearance for clients. Cordy says that compared to most vampies he is pretty cuddily (not much of a compliment there Cordy:rolleyes:), but that he might want to mix up the black on black look:D When Angel suggests that Cordy talk to Melissa, she says that she will only get involved if Melissa hires them. This of course is Cordy's subtle way of returning to the theme of MONEY!:rolleyes: Angel says that he has a bad feeling and that they need to get involved now and that it shouldn't be about money. What follows is the gag of the episode. When Doyle says that its not about the money, Cordy is not happy, but he has a suprise for her.

Doyle: "No, its about doing the best for the people you've helped. People get attached to a mysterious savour and who can blame them, but since you're just a man doing a job and getting paid, they can feel that they have paid their debt to you and can move on, independent like"

Cordelia: You are a lot smarter than you look (pause) of course you look like a retard!"

And that was the sound of Doyle getting his arse handed to him by Miss Chase!:p

We see Melissa trying to draw money out but the machine is blocking her. She is confronted by a smart looking older gentleman who it soon becomes clear is the guy who sent her the flowers, and one she is afraid of. He is a doctor called Roland who Melissa had one date with, but whose feelings she does not share. Depsite Melissa telling Roland to leave her alone, he just acts like none of it is getting through, and as he gets a page through, says he has to leave, but will see her tonight. Melissa decides to call Angel for help. Cordy answers the phone with, "Angel investigations, we help the hopeless":D Angel deciding to change his shirt before Melissa comes in is a nice touch:cool: Melissa explains that Roland saved her eyesight and so she agreed to agreed to go on a date with him, but that since he has not stopped arrassing her, and that she senses that Roland can see her all the time. As Cordy takes notes, she says that they can help Melissa for a small FEE! Oh yes we know Cordy, we know...

Melissa: (swigs coffee) "Its just terrible"
Doyle: "Don't worry we are going to protect you"
Melissa: "No, I meant the coffee":D

She asks Angel how he knew that she was in danger, Angel says that he has a friend in the police department. Later Angel ponders if Roland could be invisible, a ghost etc.. And Cordy is just thrilled that once again the answer is going to be something demon related:(

Later we see Melissa getting ready for bed intercut with Roland in a trance in his office. Suddernly one of his eyes becomes unattached and it appears in Melissa's bedroom. The next day Angel asks Kate to help him with Melissa, while Doyle keeps her company. The next section drags, the most notable bit is when Kate reveals that Roland is being represented by Wolfram and Hart, and that they have in fact put out a restraining order against Melissa. Kate warns Angel that the real challenge is to keep Melissa mentally strong because even if they put Roland away Melissa may still be haunted by him. This bit of human advice to Angel is the highlight of the Kate character so far IMO.

Angel searches Roland's office discovering a book which he thinks might come in handle so he takes it. Roland walks in on Angel, who pretends to be a guy whose wife needs suggery from Roland. Angel uses the picture of Melissa in Roland's office to try and presuade him to at least think about it. From here the episode gets a bit silly. Cordy pretends to be a medical journalist (man I hope the journalists I work with in the future look like Cordy;)) doing an article on Roland to get information about his methods. She finds out that his techniques are radical and that he started working outside of the medical community on things such as how to detatch human eyes. There is a nice gag about Cordy asking what is with it stalking amongst men, and is it the 3rd most popular sport, to which Angel responds, "4th after luge":)
Angel shows Cordy the book he stole from Roland's office. Its by a fellow doctor whom's theory Roland seems to have been inspired by. Angel e-mails this doctor using a quote from the signed book to try and persuade him to meet him. At the meeting Angel finds out that Roland has taking the step of body detachment to the next level, and that he now seems to be controlling it through the power of his mind.

A cop tries to pick Roland up as he is working his way into Melissa's dreams. As the cop demands that Roland puts his hands up Roland reveals that he doesn't have any hands, this throws the cop off. In a creepy scene Roland's processed hands appear in Melissa's bedroom and start attacking her in her sleep. Melissa's scream alarts the cop, but he can't see anything until he gets attacked and killed by the hands. Melissa flies and Angel is there, and tells her that he knows what is going on, at this point we see Roland watching from the bushes. Kate arrives on the scene and says and that they at least have a print which they can try and trace to Roland. However, as Doyle points out to Angel even if they arrest him, Roland has the power to escape. Later, we see Cordy and Doyle tapping up air vents. Angel fills Melissa in, but of course doesn't tell her how he knows all this. He reassures her that she has survived a lot, and that it is now Roland who is coming apart. This makes Melissa more defient than at anytime during the episode. Cordy is concerned about Angel going over to Rolands. Angel starts looking for steel boxes to trap Roland's body parts in, and yes Cordy is once again thrilled at this;) Roland calls Angel who answers under his false identity (of course Roland know nows who he really is), and tells Angel that he can still help his wife if he wants, but that he will need to perform the operation out of the state, and will want a payment up front. Angel says that he will drop the advancement over to his office tonight. Roland catches Angel unaware shooting him with a poisoned dart.

Roland's processed hands try to force through the tapped vents, this distracts Cordy and Doyle and in a novel twist as they try to keep one hand out, the other hand unlocks the door for Roland. Meanwhile, Doyle is dragged down by the hand, and Roland now with the other hand attached knocks Cordy out. He now has Melissa trapped in the bedroom. As Melissa stands up to him Angel busts through the door (due to him not being human the poison just stunned him instead of killing him). Roland throws one of his hands with a sharp object at Angel, but Angel is able stab the loose hand and then knock Roland out with a metal object.

The next day Melissa drops by the office with a plant as a thank-you present for Angel. He almost lets her off without paying, but Cordy is on hard to remind him. Melissa says that he earnt it. As Cordy and Doyle rejoice in the company's first pay cheque Angel is more taken with Melissa's gift.

In contrast with In the Dark, I Fall to Pieces was my least favourite of the four episodes so far. It had good things in it, such as some bonkers b-movie chills. Roland made for a decent villain, and the narrative of Cordy trying all she can to get the firm some money was an entertaining one, and shows the extremes of her character when you consider that In the Dark she was showing true concern and human emotions for Angel. But, the main problem was that outside of these comic interactions around the office the gang just weren't given enough to do, and their connection to the main plot just didn't seem convincing. Melissa was too bland, Kate once again failed to grab me as a character, and from the mid-point on the episode just became too much of a farce and seemed to lack some logic.

Will try and get another one or two up tomorrow. 
And of course people it was Parker Spike was referring to not Riley just to correct that error:rolleyes:

Mr Trick

Scooby
So my latest review and as was suggested before will add a couple of questions at the end.

RM W/A VU

Cordy has just had another bad audition this time for a cheesy commuical. She is putting Doyle through a repeat performance as the episode opens and suggests that the reason she didn't get the part was because of some bloudie underdressing:D As Angel enters this nicely sets up an example of Cordy not being much use around the office, thus she is a lost soul. Cordy avoids a call from an old Sunnydale friend, when asked by Doyle the reason Cordy claims that she would just be after asking about her non-existent acting career etc.. More on this later. As his latest attempt to get into her good books Doyle offers Cordy a place to stay if she ever gets too fed up with her own, yawn:( I enjoyed Angel's sacastic pop at Cordy's typing, fileing, and phone asnwering skills in response to Doyle asking for more information on her. Later Cordy arrives home to find her place roming with bugs. She decides to take Doyle up on his offer, but he cannot come to the phone right now as he has issues of his own with a demon at his apartment:eek: Credits.

Post-credits we find out the demon is a debt collector and that Doyle owns him money. Doyle is able to make his escape keeping the demon at bay for now. As a result of not being about get hold of Doyle a shakened Cordy shows up and Angel's asking if she can spend the night. Angel has just gotten out of the shower and is in classical music wind down mode, but Cordy doesn't really give him much of a chance to say no and proceeds to make herself at home:cool:

The next morning Doyle is taken a back to find Cordy in a robe drying her hair and Angel in his dressing gown complaining that Cordy left peanut butter on "HIS BED" When Cordy leaves the room Doyle of course jumps to all the wrong conclusions until Angel puts him striaght. What is funny here is that Angel being a anti-social Vamp and Cordy being Cordy and unaware of Doyles feelings would be the last people in the world to cotton onto what that must of looked like. When Cordy re-enters the room she informs Angel that it was he, and not her who left peanut butter stains on the bed. But Angel doesn't eat peanut butter, which is both weird and dumb if you ask me;) Like a schoolboy with a crush Doyle tries another compliment (he at least has good taste) for Cordelia who once again brushes it off. Doyle asks in-directly about his demon friend, and Cordy says, that a cousin of Doyle's did phone. Angel then tricks Doyle into telling him whats going on by claiming that a friend of his is waiting up stairs, this gets Doyle rattled again. Doyle doesn't give much away just that there is a debt collector after him from the demon world. As Cordy gets in the way further Angel says that he will help Doyle with his demon problem if he can help get Cordelia out from under Angel's feet.

As it turns out Doyle has a "guy" and he and Cordy start house hunting with various things preventing Cordy taking on a place, including a creepy fat guy (well I have no fat people issues, but draw the the line at creepy fat people:eek:). We also see Angel checking the debut collectors place before being attacked from behind by the demon. Meanwhile Cordy has finally found what she considers "her dream home" and with a reasonable price too. She is happy, as is Doyle, not least because he recieves a Cordy hug:p. Just as they leave there appears a human figure trying to bust out of the wall, the same wall which Cordy has just said she will knock down! Angel beats some sense in the debt collector who agrees that if Doyle pays up then he is free.

Later we see Cordy sleeping happily at her new apartment. But something else not of this world is clearly in the room. As the radio switches on and draws start to open and things fly about Cordy awakes. Her glass of water starts boiling up, but Cordy's past at least gives her a bit of dutch courage "I'm from Sunnydale you can't scare me" The next morning we see her getting ready in the mirror, all is peaceful, but suddernly the ghostly figure of an old lady appears in the mirror behind her, but Cordy doesn't notice her. As things start flying around the room again, Cordy recieves a surprise visit from Angel and Doyle with a house warming gift. She nerviously tries to user them away before they can meet her new friend. They soon find out when more things start flying around the room and the word DIE appears written in blood on the wall. The guy's finally presuade Cordy to leave despite her attachment to the place. CC's over the top comic delivery here is killer!

CORDY: "Listen good Casper! You haven't won a thing. I' would rather die before I let you have this apartment!":D

GHOST: (V0) "Alright dear if thats what you think is best"

Cordy later confesses to Angel that if she is forced to leave her new apartment than it would be like she is still being punished for the way she treated people back in high school, bad kama and all. Doyle finds out that a woman named Mrs Pearson died of a heart attack there many years ago. Angel is not convinced that she is the ghost as normally they haunt people as a result of a violent death. Cordy is sure they have found the right one though. When Doyle suggests that he has a friend who can help out, Cordy sacastly reminds him that it was a friend of his who found her the poluterghous apartment in the first place. This was harsh of Cordy, Angel more sensitive and aware of Doyle's feelings steps in and says he will ask Kate for information. Later on Angel calls Cordy at the office and tells her to meet him at the apartment as he has gotten to the bottom of it. However, this turns out to be a trick as Mrs Pearson has taken on Angel's voice to get Cordy to the apartment. Mrs Pearson tells Cordy that she will pay for messing with her son! Kate reveals to Angel that Mrs Pearson was murdered by her son because of her jealousy towards a girlfriend of his. And that ever since there has been a string of murders connected to the building.

And there is about to be another one until Angel and Doyle come over to find Cordy strung up by the neck! Angel attempts a spell to over power the ghost, but this fails. At which point he reliazes that only Cordy can save herself, but as things fly around the room and the image of Mrs Pearson nags away at Cordy she just can't deal, so Angel and Doyle grab her and are set to leave, but at this point the demon debt collectors bardge in with guns and say that no ones going anyway. They've gone back on their promise to Angel about Doyle, and well hell of a fight breaks out with Mrs Pearson getting further distressed by the chalos. Cordy says she is sorry about Mrs Pearson's sir and that she can have her apartment back. But the ghost is having none of it and is upset at the mess being made in the living room. Pearson starts bullying Cordy again, but when she tells her that nobody want her and that she is a bitch! This actually leads to Cordy turning the tables.

"I'm not just some little snify, cry Buffy. I am the nastiest girl in Sunnydale history! I don't take crap from no one!"

Pearson keeps trying to get inside Cordy's head but has less and less effect. "Back off polygrip. You think you're all mean and haughty, picking on poor pathetic Cordy, well get ready to hurl your wrickly arse out of here cause lady the bitch is back!":)

By standing up to the Ghost Cordy is able to over power it and also desolve the Demons who had been fighting with Angel and Doyle. Cordy says that "she pissed me off" all of a sudden she is overcome with a vision showing Mrs Pearson in the past trapping her son Dennis in a wall as punishment for his interest in a girl. We then see her die of a heart attack which is what Doyle first thought. Back to the present and Dennis in ghost form finally stands up to his mother and banishes her from the apartment. Cordy: "I knew that I hated that wall" :D Later Doyle promises Angel that at some point he will explain his past in full. The episode ends back at Cordy's place with her chating on the phone to an old Sunnydale friend (the sameone she avoided speaking to before). While Cordy catches up on all the gossip we see a drinks can move by itself, Cordy pauses, "Phatom Dennis keep your hands off" So the new Cordy is happy to live with a ghost it would seem.:cool:

This was a really strong episode, apart from In the Dark it might be my favourite of the five so far. Cordelia's personally development over the cause of the episode is a real highlight. I like how it contrasts her Sunnydale days with the new Cordy of the Angel show. Just like the Ghosts in her apartment Cordy has been a lost soul since moving to LA. Stuck in a new town she has been forced to carve a new identity out and cannot relie on being the popluar girl any longer, this is perfectly highlighted with her struggles getting acting gigs. But by comfronting her past Cordy is able to grow, but in an interesting twist she must play up to her role as a bitch and be proud of it in order to move on. Its also an episode of progress for the character as Cordy gets her first vision and by accepting a ghost as a room mate becomes a more complax and darker character. I loved the reference to Buffy when she stands up to Mrs Pearson but the funny thing is for the first time she becomes a little bit like the Slayer who she spent so much time hating in the past. We also see some progress for Doyle as for the first time he shows some true feelings for Cordy, and is very helpful to her. There are some really cool effects, action and chilly creepy moments too.

- So what do you guys and girls think of Cordy's change in this episode?
- Cordy's switch to a darker character in Angel was met with mixed feelings. Some (including a friend of mine) felt that it just didn't feel like the same character and that it took away from her comic strengths. What do you think of this?
- What do you think of Doyle's flirting with Cordy during the early episodes?
- And where do Mrs Pearson and the demon debt collectors rank among the other monsters so far or even later in the show?

Will aim to get another episode up tomorrow.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Sense and Sensitivity

We open with Kate acting all Buffy like capturing a goon who she suspects has information about a murder, when said goon doesn't give her the answers she wants Kate gets physical. Angel kills a slimey demon with a sword and leaves without thanking Cordy and Doyle a point which miffs Cordy who doesn't notice Doyle getting straggled by a live body part of the demon. Titles.

Kate enlists Angel's help in tracking down 'little Tony' the man she suspects in the murder case. Back at the Police station Kate bumps into her Dad who is a fellow Cop who as we hear is about to retire. Kate mentions that she is going to give a speech at his retirement party, but Dad seems unimpressd. The gang locate Tony and his gang, Angel wears a funny hawian shirt to throw them off:D the fists start flying and Kate and cops step in with the arrests. Tony hires Wolfram and Hart to represent him, and as is par the course they seem to have greater designs than just legal work. Cordy is still pissed at Angel, but this time they work in a nice gag about him not noticing her new shoes, just as Angel is about to explain how men don't really notice stuff like that Doyle walks in and does just that!:)

Kate is informed in front of her father that as a result of her aggression she must take sensitivity training, which according to Dad "they didn't need in my day". Angel informs Kate of a plot by Tony to have her knocked off, but Kate seems to be in a weird frame of mind due to her sensitivity training. At her fathers retirement bash Kate gives an emotional speech at her father's expense in which she trashes him for not taking much notice of her after her mother had passed on. This leads to the other Cops starting a bar fight with some siding with Kate and others believeing that she was wrong to embarress her Dad at his leaving do. As Angel later finds out the sensitivity trainer has been working for W&H and has brian washed Kate which then to the other police officers having sudden attacks of sensitivity. This leads to one cop releasing Tony and a bunch of other prisoners allowing them to go after Kate. Angel arrives at the police station to save her, but as it turns out much to Cordy and Doyle's distain he too has had the sensitivity mojo worked on him. The highlight of the episode is Cordy trying to presuade Angel go "all vampy"!:p In a twist it is Angel's new found sensitivity which actually drives him on to defeat Tony and co. due to them not being so sensitive. Angel and Kate hug and Cordy wants to throw up (I know how she feels;)). The next day vampire and cop are keen to put the events of the past day behind them. The end.

This episode was maybe the weakest of the season to date. There are a few problems. First of all Kate is not a strong enough character to dedicate an episode to. The actress once again is just too bland and her scenes with Angel have no spark to them. Also, if they were going to do an episode like this then it should be done later when we know a bit more about Kate and so might actually give a damn. This does seem like the episode which confirms that Kate is trying to fill some kind of Buffy filled hole in Angel's world and just having her act so Buffy like at times was really weak. And this episode felt too much like the sort they have done before in Buffy except it wasn't as effective. There are some nice ideas, such as Angel actually being insenstive and Cordy who normally plays that part picking him up on it, and then the twist later on. But the storytelling is mostly weak, there are no great action scenes or much in the way of entertaining humour or character development for anyone except Kate.

I will post my review of The Bachelor Party later.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
I agree, I'm not a big fan of this episode, it has some funny moments with "sensitive" Angel. But I think you're right about it maybe should have been a few episodes later in the season. I do like Kate overall as a character, but they just don't develop her well or use her well. Plus the whole are they/are they not attracted to each other thing I thought was unnecessary. Although I guess it kind of fuels her hate for him when she finds out he's a vampire. Like, "I just found a nice, good looking guy and he turns out to be a vampire". lol. Bachelor Party I don't like either, so the less we talk about that the better. lol

Top Bottom