• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Mr Trick's Top Twenty Worse Buffy Episodes ever review thread

Mr Trick

Scooby
...and I will be doing this too:D

I might consider reducing it to ten depending on how strongly I feel about certain episodes and if I can relastically get a top twenty. As a point of contrast during my reviews I will actually say what my favourite scene or dialouge is just for balance, but thats as nice as I will be about the episode in question;)

Let the slaying of the bad Buffy episodes begin!

p.s. Don't expect Beer Bad to be appearing. I have recently had a rethink on the episode and agree that it is pretty weak but I still don't see it as one of the worse of all time like some:eek:

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
This is going to be a good list I can tell. I know there's going to be a few that I will disagree on.;) Beer Bad is top 20 worst maybe but I still enjoy it too.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
It may still make the list, we'll see

Mr Trick

Scooby
Actually have a change of heart and now think that BB would make it in after all!:D The list along with my best list should start soon.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Oh, come on! Who doesn't like cavegirl Buffy drawing on the walls of her dorm room? I have some more controversial entries in the worst episodes:

1. Normal Again. This episode deconstructs the Buffyverse to the point where you think you have been an idiot for investing effort into watching it.
2. Ted. Are we really trying to sell domestic violence as entertainment?
3. Dead Man's Party. This shows everyone at their worst, especially Xander, who doesn't need to look any more like a hypocrite.
4. The Weight of the World. Like watching paint dry.

I am sure people can come up with more. And note: Beer Bad is not among the worst ten or probably even the worst twenty.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Oh, come on! Who doesn't like cavegirl Buffy drawing on the walls of her dorm room? I have some more controversial entries in the worst episodes:

1. Normal Again. This episode deconstructs the Buffyverse to the point where you think you have been an idiot for investing effort into watching it.
2. Ted. Are we really trying to sell domestic violence as entertainment?
3. Dead Man's Party. This shows everyone at their worst, especially Xander, who doesn't need to look any more like a hypocrite.
4. The Weight of the World. Like watching paint dry.

I am sure people can come up with more. And note: Beer Bad is not among the worst ten or probably even the worst twenty.
Cave Girl Buffy is fun I agree, but that alone isn't enough to save the episode. Still undecided if it will make the list or not:D Dead Man's Party would be in there, but certainly not your others. Ted really gets an unfair ride.

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
I'm curious as to what episodes you consider the worst. Twenty is a lot, I wonder which ones I would put on that list. Hm...

Mr Trick

Scooby
I'm curious as to what episodes you consider the worst. Twenty is a lot, I wonder which ones I would put on that list. Hm...
That's the thing, some of them might just be lesser episodes rather than actually being terrible we'll see.

Samuel Reyes

Chilling in SunnyD
I'll give my bottom ten. Now, I don't necessarily consider all of these episodes to be bad, per se, but for me they're among the weakest the series has to offer.

1. The Killer in Me: My least favorite episode, this is the one I almost fell asleep watching. The Willow/Kennedy scenes felt awfully contrived and, while I'm not totally against them being a couple, I agree with countless others that Kennedy does not seem to be the kind of person Willow would go out with! Oz and Tara make total sense, but the way Kennedy presents herself - spoiled brat, hating magic - didn't register with me as someone Willow would be into after only a single date. The confrontation about Amy hexing Willow and the bits where the Scoobies think Giles is the First were so over-the-top and pointless that I actually laughed. The only highlights were watching Alyson and Adam Busch mimic each other.
2. Reptile Boy: Can't remember much of this one, but maybe that's for the better. Xander going undercover to "save" Buffy from the frat guys was borderline-stalker mode, although I do like what they did to him at the party and I gotta give him props for being smart enough to alert Giles and Angel as to what was going down. And Willow's "get your shit together" speech is a sign of her growing as a person, and I like that.
3. Beer Bad: 'Nuff said. But it was nominated for an Emmy, so what do I know.
4. I Robot, You Jane: Can someone say dated? Creepy Internet messenger, not a bad concept, but throw in an absolutely ridiculous-looking monster and you thank Joss that he was able to confine this one to the first season. It only worked as character development for Willow, who was just adorable. :D
5. Listening to Fear: Filler, filler, and filler. Plus, Riley being a whiny dick. Oh, and aliens.
6. Doublemeat Palace: Buffy the Mealtime Slayer discovers "it's people!", battles a giant penis monster, and has sleazy alley sex with Spike during her break.
7. Where the Wild Things Are: Giles leading an intense double life as the opening act for a trendy cafe (and the gang's reactions to it) was funny, as were Spike and Anya's individual moments. The concept -- Buffy and Riley's shagathon causing the repressed spirits of a frat house to run amok -- not so great. Those at home, remember -- Buffy promotes safe sex, just not the kind that'll almost kill your friends.
8. Him: Again, character moments, such as Xander and Spike running off with RJ's jacket, and Buffy aiming a freaking rocket launcher at Wood without him noticing, were the consolation for sitting through this teen-angst-fest. Thank you, Dr. Phil, you can go now.
9. First Date: Weak filler episode. Using Xander's "demon magnet" status to write him off as the 'butt monkey' this late in the show (after he gave that riveting speech in 'Potential') was just sad. I liked the scenes with Andrew and The First/Jonathan (Danny Strong gave a suitably creepy performance). And, 'Special Guest Star' Ashanti, because... well, because why not, right?
10. Get it Done: Buffy was a straight-up bitca in this one. I appreciate learning more about the slayer mythos, but it was ill-timed at best, and while I certainly don't think it was at all necessary for the Scoobies to kick the Buffster out of her own house in 'Empty Places', after watching this ep again I remembered why they did.

Spanky
Spanky
Beer Bad was nominated for best hair for CaveBuffy.
thetopher
thetopher
I actually agree with pretty much all of these. I don't mind 'Listening To Fear, but only for the really good Buffy/Joyce/Dawn stuff. Buffy crying whilst doing the dishes breaks my heart.
bespangeled
bespangeled
They may not all make my absolute worst list - but I agree with you on all of them! Go Fish and Inca Mummy Girl need more uncredit, IMO

Mr Trick

Scooby
I'll give my bottom ten. Now, I don't necessarily consider all of these episodes to be bad, per se, but for me they're among the weakest the series has to offer.

1. The Killer in Me: My least favorite episode, this is the one I almost fell asleep watching. The Willow/Kennedy scenes felt awfully contrived and, while I'm not totally against them being a couple, I agree with countless others that Kennedy does not seem to be the kind of person Willow would go out with! Oz and Tara make total sense, but the way Kennedy presents herself - spoiled brat, hating magic - didn't register with me as someone Willow would be into after only a single date. The confrontation about Amy hexing Willow and the bits where the Scoobies think Giles is the First were so over-the-top and pointless that I actually laughed. The only highlights were watching Alyson and Adam Busch mimic each other.
2. Reptile Boy: Can't remember much of this one, but maybe that's for the better. Xander going undercover to "save" Buffy from the frat guys was borderline-stalker mode, although I do like what they did to him at the party and I gotta give him props for being smart enough to alert Giles and Angel as to what was going down. And Willow's "get your shit together" speech is a sign of her growing as a person, and I like that.
3. Beer Bad: 'Nuff said. But it was nominated for an Emmy, so what do I know.
4. I Robot, You Jane: Can someone say dated? Creepy Internet messenger, not a bad concept, but throw in an absolutely ridiculous-looking monster and you thank Joss that he was able to confine this one to the first season. It only worked as character development for Willow, who was just adorable. :D
5. Listening to Fear: Filler, filler, and filler. Plus, Riley being a whiny dick. Oh, and aliens.
6. Doublemeat Palace: Buffy the Mealtime Slayer discovers "it's people!", battles a giant penis monster, and has sleazy alley sex with Spike during her break.
7. Where the Wild Things Are: Giles leading an intense double life as the opening act for a trendy cafe (and the gang's reactions to it) was funny, as were Spike and Anya's individual moments. The concept -- Buffy and Riley's shagathon causing the repressed spirits of a frat house to run amok -- not so great. Those at home, remember -- Buffy promotes safe sex, just not the kind that'll almost kill your friends.
8. Him: Again, character moments, such as Xander and Spike running off with RJ's jacket, and Buffy aiming a freaking rocket launcher at Wood without him noticing, were the consolation for sitting through this teen-angst-fest. Thank you, Dr. Phil, you can go now.
9. First Date: Weak filler episode. Using Xander's "demon magnet" status to write him off as the 'butt monkey' this late in the show (after he gave that riveting speech in 'Potential') was just sad. I liked the scenes with Andrew and The First/Jonathan (Danny Strong gave a suitably creepy performance). And, 'Special Guest Star' Ashanti, because... well, because why not, right?
10. Get it Done: Buffy was a straight-up bitca in this one. I appreciate learning more about the slayer mythos, but it was ill-timed at best, and while I certainly don't think it was at all necessary for the Scoobies to kick the Buffster out of her own house in 'Empty Places', after watching this ep again I remembered why they did.
Well a few I expected on there and some I didn't. That's really interesting to know that about BB that would make for a good pub quiz question!;) Some of the season 6 and 7 episodes I have not seen so much so not sure yet if I would have them. I do feel like sticking up for Doublemeat Palace though I just don't think its that bad.

Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
I also like Doublemear Palace.

Mr Trick

Scooby
For the sake of balance I will include what I consider the best scene and best line(s) from each choice. I guess that might be get harder the further in I get;)

#20 Bad Eggs Season 2, Episode 12

Bad Eggs.jpg

At its core Bad Eggs has a strong b-movie idea, its a novel twist on the invasion of The Invasion of the Body Snatchers narrative. The problem is that it never successfully builds on that premise. Sure there are impressive moments, but they never quite add up to the sum of their parts. I think the main flaw with the episode is that there is just too many other things thrown into the mix, than the episode loses its rythem at times. Its not a totally dud there are nice surrealist moments, and the plot where the Scoobies have to look after Eggs for a school project is very cute and relatable. Xander cheating on his assignment is so petty, and yet amusing, and sums up High School Xander so well. But these moments are just nice distractions rather than packing too much of substance. This is a one off, but unlike the best one off episodes it does almost nothing to advance the Universe of the show or its characters.

To make matters worse the plot is just over crowded with characters, and oh that reminds me, enter non-scary, the non-witty, and the damn right dull evil southern Cowboy twins. Not only do these lame stereotypes have no purpose in the plot, but each scene that they appear seems to drag on way too long. Therefore, they don't even work as effective comic relief. And in the final battle scene there is no reason for them to be there as they have no link to the Body-Snatchers plot and just make an already slightly over blown scene even more messy. There is some nice development between Buffy and Joyce in the episode, but after awhile that becomes another lose strend which is slightly overcooked, but I do think that KS is an excellent actress and not only is pretty badarse in the episode, but funny with it, but then I can see how others might find her part over bearing. In a way there is just too many subplots thrown in here. Yes there are some touchy Buffy and Angel moments, including the final scene, but they rather feel out of place in a one-off MOTW style show. Watchable it maybe, but what Bad Eggs lacked was focus.

Best Scene:
The scene where Buffy's egg hatches is truly terrifying!

Best Line:
Willow:
"You boiled your yoke?"
Xander: "Yeah I know its cruel, but sometimes you gotta be cruel to be kind. You can bet that little Xander here is thicked skin now"

Episode Rating: 5/10

Samuel Reyes

Chilling in SunnyD
You forgot to mention that we see Buffy go to the mall for like the first and only time ever.

I also liked when she says "Good night Eggbert." :D

Ethan Reigns
Ethan Reigns
Not quite - Buffy goes to the mall two episodes later to kill the Judge.
thetopher
thetopher
Hee. Eggbert. And then gives it a little pat. Aw...

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
@GwenRaiden "She does say young." It makes me sense.. after reading yoke I thought making she was making some yoke about the New Testament when Psalms say to cast off your yoke.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Yeah well I'm sticking by yoke because that would make more sense, given its an EGG HELLO!:D

And another thing if you trouble makers can't stay on topic and comment on the reviews I'm going to have to kick you out of the thread!;)

GwenRaiden
GwenRaiden
Yeah, but, like, yeah. She does say 'young'.

Mr Trick

Scooby
You forgot to mention that we see Buffy go to the mall for like the first and only time ever.

I also liked when she says "Good night Eggbert." :D
Well I did sort of mention that but maybe could have high lighted it more. The best bit about that scene is where Buffy flippetly says that she "Slays Vampires":D

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
I think you're right, Bad Eggs lacks focus and direction. While I still enjoy the body snatches plot line, the stupid vampire have no business being in the episode. I'm curious as to why Buffy keeps letting Lyle Gortch get away since he doesn't come back a third time, unlike Ethan Rayne. Maybe if they were smarter vampires and had been the ones behind the egg/Bezoar demon thing. I haven't seen this ep in a while. Is the teacher behind it all since he's the one giving out the eggs? If so then why? I think one of the writers really liked the ideas of these southern bank robbing vampire cowboys but couldn't fit either an episode around them or didn't have the room in s2 for an extra episode so they just merged it. I think maybe bank robbing vampires could have been a fun one off episode. But it's not all bad. I do like Buffy and Joyce shopping at the mall. I understand the producers probably couldn't afford to film at the mall a lot, but it feels a bit odd that we don't see Buffy and Willow ever just shopping there. I do like Buffy calling him eggbert, she can be such a dork sometimes it's cute. lol. Is this one top 20 worst eps of Buffy, possibly, but I enjoy it more than other episodes that maybe aren't as bad. Does that make sense? Like I'd rather watch s2 with all it's bad episodes than watch s5.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I think you're right, Bad Eggs lacks focus and direction. While I still enjoy the body snatches plot line, the stupid vampire have no business being in the episode. I'm curious as to why Buffy keeps letting Lyle Gortch get away since he doesn't come back a third time, unlike Ethan Rayne. Maybe if they were smarter vampires and had been the ones behind the egg/Bezoar demon thing. I haven't seen this ep in a while. Is the teacher behind it all since he's the one giving out the eggs? If so then why? I think one of the writers really liked the ideas of these southern bank robbing vampire cowboys but couldn't fit either an episode around them or didn't have the room in s2 for an extra episode so they just merged it. I think maybe bank robbing vampires could have been a fun one off episode. But it's not all bad. I do like Buffy and Joyce shopping at the mall. I understand the producers probably couldn't afford to film at the mall a lot, but it feels a bit odd that we don't see Buffy and Willow ever just shopping there. I do like Buffy calling him eggbert, she can be such a dork sometimes it's cute. lol. Is this one top 20 worst eps of Buffy, possibly, but I enjoy it more than other episodes that maybe aren't as bad. Does that make sense? Like I'd rather watch s2 with all it's bad episodes than watch s5.
You make some excellent points. I think the Cowboys were intended as comic relief in the episode. The problem being that I never found them that funny, and that they certainly didn't have any place in an episode like this, least of all in the end scene. Overall they were just very forgettable.

It does have its moments you are right. I think this is a higher end weak episode, there maybe a few like this early on the list. Well I disagree with you on season five and actually think it is one of the better seasons, but I can see where you are coming from still. There some good guilty pleasure episodes in S2:D

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Good review, this is a pretty dire episode. A fluffed idea and some nonsensical plots holes/characterization.

Good points: Other than what you mentioned I did like the bit where Buffy is given the egg and she thinks its some sort of punishment. Plus Xander's reaction to being called Machiavellian. Other than that I could happily delete this and have a different episode.

Good work. :)

Samuel Reyes

Chilling in SunnyD
I also liked Jonathan's one scene. At this point in the season I would burst out laughing whenever he showed up because the worst things always happened to him. :)

Look on the bright side, Jonathan -- at least you survived all these incidents.

Top Bottom