• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Music Inspired Fanfiction

I just want to know...do any of you guys listen to music that inspires your writing? I'm thinking of making a playlist of my favorite songs, and then using certain lyrics as writing prompts. Have any of you lovely writers ever done this, or do you use something different as inspiration? I haven't always used music, but it is a big inspiration for me, especially if I'm writing for a fandom that is very music-heavy (like, you know, musicals!).

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I don't use specific songs or artists, but I do pick playlists based on what I'm writing - the best example I can think of is writing battle/fight scenes, I always listen to something with a beat such as rock or even hip-hop. Currently, I'm writing Christmas stories and I, of course, listen to Christmas music.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I have done a lot of writing but never with the music on. If I had music on, it would be a distraction - I would have a good idea going then have to pause to change CD's or radio stations or tapes or whatever was going on and lose the thread of whatever I was doing. And the music itself is enough of a distraction - some guitar riff, some drum solo, some cutting vocals would interfere with my thought processes. Those of you who can write with the music on are better minds than mine.

If you base your writing on lyrics, be aware that quoting lyrics requires an agreement from the copyright holder and this will be either impossible or an expensive proposition. You can quote a song title but not the music in it and I believe a lot of YouTube content is about to disappear. You may use lyrics as an inspiration but you may not quote them without written permission.

TriBel

Scooby
Those of you who can write with the music on are better minds than mine.
Same here. Except for the most mundane tasks, I've never mastered the art of working with music on. My students couldn't write an essay without it but I require silence. Maybe it's a young person thing?

With regard to the OP, yes...I incorporate a lot of lyrics. It's kinda de rigueur for Lucifer fan-fic. Less so with Spuffy (I tend to use poetry as inspiration). Not that it matters because I never finish anything. Some lyrics...chunks of sarcastic dialogue and I'm done.

Priceless
Priceless
Which is such a shame because your dialogue is great
I've never been able to listen to music and do something else. I either listen to the music and don't get the thing done or I zone the music out and then wake up to it about 3/4 of the way through my favourite song.

I can just about manage driving and music, but the radio has such a huge advert: music ratio (and then add in the D.J twittering) that I rarely bother.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Oh, the music is definitely not being paid attention to, but I would go insane if the background noise was...nothing. Just...silence o_O

Yeah...I don't always listen to music while I'm writing, and if I do, it's turned down super low so that it doesn't become too much of a distraction. It's kinda like a special occasion, when I really feel that listening to a certain song would help with drafting an idea.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
What might be interesting is me listing a few (three) groups for you guys to write a bit of fan fic from, listening to a track to inspire your creation.

Top Bottom