• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

my all time favorite buffy Character

Willow Tara

Grr Argh - aka WhedonverseFan
Sineya
Me.
Me!
ME!
ME!
ME!
ME!
MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Oh and did I mention, that I DON'T WANT THAT TARA DIED! I WANT HER BACK!!!!!!!!!!
dd0569d3f4ad9dab7e4cb8d08f26f3e1.jpg

Okay I actually like the killer in me, but I still agree with the text! I want Tara back!!!! 😢😭😭
55964bee926721c5fe985504dc7b27d5.jpg
"You see, death doesn't happen to you. It happens to everyone around you. To all the people left standing at your funeral.Trying to figure out how they're gonna live the rest of their lives, without you in it."

Yes I agree soooooo much!!! I still have to figure out how to live on without Tara😢😭😭😭😭😭 (and Tillow).
I miss her so much, I just want her back!
willow and tara 20ylater 2-2.gif
She lives on and her and Willow are together forever in my heart! ❤

I know they say it wasn't to hurt anyone. And I do believe that, but although it wasn't intendet to hurt anyone, it did hurt... A LOT. I mean they say it was to push Willow to the dark side (Magic addiction -> Dark Willow), but I just wish that there could've been another way to get Dark Willow. And Tara brings Willlw back and they live happily ever after. :)

When I first watched seeing red (it was in the evening). I was shovked and I cried during the episode and after it endet I just sat there and cried infront of my TV. And in the night I cried soooooo much that I woke up, still crying and my pillow was also still totally wet. I still cry to this day like baby watching Taras death."Your shirt." 😢😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Last edited:
W

WillowFromBuffy

If there were 12 actual television seasons of Buffy, I would be upset Tara wasn't there for the latter 6. As it is, her death in S6 and her absence in S7 feels thematically appropriate, so I have decided to begrudgingly accept it. Just like Joyce in S5, she got a great send off, just to make sure we would miss her all the more.

@Willow Tara
Endure is in no way wrong, but I think it is more common to talk about someone's death as something you "accept," "come to terms with" or "learn to live with." I guess we talk about grief as something we have to endure, though. Hmmm! That made me think :) It is often hard to say with these thing. There are way too many words and phrases in the English language.

Last edited by a moderator:
Willow Tara
Willow Tara
Oh I get that. Thanks for writing this. That makes me "accept" (or "endure") her death better. It's still very sad. And I really agree totally with what you said about Joyce. (btw I hope endure is correct, I used google translate for that word.)

Taake

Talk Darcy to me
Staff member
Black Thorn
I kind of like that Tara died. Don’t get me wrong, I hate that she died, but I like that I hate it.

Basically, I love me a bit of tragedy. I want to read happy endings in fanfiction, that is amazing. But in the actual show I tend to prefer gut wrenching tragedy and killing Tara was one of the most gripping things Joss ever did to me as a watcher. :)

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
Glad she died. Should have happened sooner in the series though. Around episode 3 or 4 would have been ideal.

Last edited:

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
I want to read happy endings in fanfiction, that is amazing. But in the actual show I tend to prefer gut wrenching tragedy.
I'm basically the opposite, lol. I can take a sappy happy ending in a show, and then I'll get my gut wrenching angst from fanfic. Especially since TV never gets anywhere near as dark as fanfiction, in my personal experience :D

@HoppyHippy oh, please, Twi fic never gets really dark. But Buffy fic? Wow, I love angst, but sometimes even I can't read some of the BtVS stuff :)

Last edited:
Octavia
Octavia
That's cos your experience involves Twific ;)

Taake

Talk Darcy to me
Staff member
Black Thorn
Glad she died. Should have happened sooner in the series though. Around episode 3 or 4 would have been ideal.
Why?
Also, how should it have happened? After 3-4 eps it wouldn’t make much of an impact. The Scoobs barely knew her.

Spanky

Black Thorn
LOL. I meant 3 or 4 episodes of S6. It would have put Willow on a similar path as Buffy. Instead of "magic as drugs" Willow could have slowly gone mad over the grief of the loss of Tara. She could have seen "Tara" around, etc. "Tara" telling her they can be together again, etc. That would be the purpose to raise that Witch Church or whatever it was. To resurrect Tara. But instead she only resurrected the witch, whom was manipulating Willow's grief. Buffy would have a real nemesis to fight in the finale thus giving the series lead a sense of purpose in the ending rather than being stuck in a hole.

Buffy spent the season sinking into depression and no one noticed. Willow through her grief could sink into madness and no one notice. And sure, you could use the whole 'magic addiction' as a byproduct, but... Killing Tara earlier in the season would have made the whole season play out tighter and have overlapping themes playing off one another.

You could have kept many of the same beats. You could have even kept Xander and the yellow crayon speech. But it would have prolonged the effects of Tara's death, and the ramifications being felt over 20ish episodes, rather than feeling so abrupt. Plus, it would have kept it more "real" and "grown up" and that's what the season was supposed to be about. And with having Tara!Ghost hanging around it could have kept Benson on the show, given her a darker character to play.

Taake
Taake
Oooh, ok now I’m with you
W

WillowFromBuffy

Plus, it would have kept it more "real" and "grown up" and that's what the season was supposed to be about.
It sounds to me like you are suggesting a prolonged melodrama that relies even more on supernatural contrivances than the actual season.

Taake

Talk Darcy to me
Staff member
Black Thorn
Benson didn’t want to come back in s7 though, as Tara/the First (a darker Tara, if you will). Though I suppose she was still under contract here and would’ve had no choice.

Still not sure it would’ve been as effective. Part of what I like is how abrupt it is

Spanky

Black Thorn
It sounds to me like you are suggesting a prolonged melodrama that relies even more on supernatural contrivances than the actual season.
No more so than what already was happening. Or certainly more meaningful melodrama and contrivances which were more aligned with the series as a whole. I wouldn't say even more, just different contrivances.

W
WillowFromBuffy
I like that you have confidence in yourself :)

Spanky

Black Thorn
Benson didn’t want to come back in s7 though, as Tara/the First (a darker Tara, if you will).
Also that was just a one-off episode. This would be prolonged. And maybe after Xander's yellow crayon speech Willow could have seen the real Tara. Thus giving her closure. Which she never really got in the subsequent season.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
Tara is one of my most loved characters. I would have tried really hard to save her.

People go over the edge for all kinds of triggers.

Heck, Tara leaving Willow for her magic overuse, then Buffy getting shot would have been enough to cause her to go over the edge (yes, know they didn't happen at the same time in the show).

Just THINKING Tara was dead or dying could have been enough. You know people get left for dead. It would have been dirt simple for Dawn to come and find a badly injured/near death Tara and the house in disarray... and Willow on the warpath... (It isn't as easy as all that to assess a loved one when you are in an emotional crisis, even if you're a trained medical person, which Willow isn't.)

Then, of course, Willow would have to live with having left Tara bleeding out. That would have had an interesting effect on their relationship!

Or Willow could have taken injured Tara to hospital and attempted the same thing she did with Buffy -- and left Tara in the hospital circling the drain b/c her attempt to 'heal her completely by black magic' didn't work on a normal person the way it would work on Buffy, who is a super being with super healing powers.

The last time Tara was hurt and Willow felt powerless, she lost it. This. Final straw.

Not knowing that Tara would survive would have been enough to drive someone with a tenuous hold on reality over the edge. Willow was fighting her need to use magic very hard at that point. This is an extreme stressor. Also? Warren is a very easy person to want to kill. Most of us wanted her to succeed in killing him, though we didn't want Willow to be a murderer, few of us had empathy for Warren. A good argument could be made that he was like a demon -- too dangerous free and likely beyond the power of humans to contain.

The series would have been so much more interesting in season seven with Tara not wanting to be with murderer Willow and that dividing the scoobies into camps. "But, sweetheart... I killed him for you!"

fauxindigo

Scooby
I would have loved to have Tara back in Season 7 thanks to Buffys wish (Selfless might've been a good time to have D'Hoffryn grant Buffy a wish) BUT the S7 themes of having to move on are more resonant with reality and Kennedy, whilst somewhat flawed, is a strong character to contrast both Tara and Willow herself.

W

WillowFromBuffy

(It isn't as easy as all that to assess a loved one when you are in an emotional crisis, even if you're a trained medical person, which Willow isn't.)
She is self taught. We see her dilute a fever virus into a survivable dose and perform a forensic examination of a corpse. She wouldn't abandon Tara if she was still alive.

DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
She might not know. Sometimes it is hard to palpate vital signs when someone is severely injured. When a person just goes completely slack, without any equipment, if you cannot feel a pulse, you might believe they're dead. Add grief?!! Meltdown!

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
Benson didn’t want to come back in s7 though, as Tara/the First (a darker Tara, if you will). Though I suppose she was still under contract here and would’ve had no choice.

Still not sure it would’ve been as effective. Part of what I like is how abrupt it is
I've seen A LOT of shows over the years, and Tara's death was definitely the biggest shock I ever experienced. It still hurts, and I refuse to watch it again. Kudos to Joss on that one, because he emotionally destroyed me. The man is brilliant.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
I would have loved to have Tara back in Season 7 thanks to Buffys wish (Selfless might've been a good time to have D'Hoffryn grant Buffy a wish) BUT the S7 themes of having to move on are more resonant with reality and Kennedy, whilst somewhat flawed, is a strong character to contrast both Tara and Willow herself.
Sorry, but abrasive does not equal strong. Abrasive means you are harsh and in a person it can make one emotionally toxic to be around. In my opinion, abrasiveness is often a sign of weakness. Lash out instead of dealing with whatever needs to be dealt with. Pull others down in order to self aggrandize. She's an abuser. Kennedy is simply a spoilt child with an attitude. Petulance is a juvenile reaction to stress. Kennedy is weak.

Strength often does not advertise itself.

Even though I'm not fond of Willow, I do believe in her strength (in later seasons, I despise her manipulation of Tara, Buffy and everyone else). Still, in spite of her near fatal character flaw, I do believe she is stronger in spirit and mind than Kennedy, though I believe she is extremely wilful and self-centered, she's a survivor in a way I believe Kennedy is not. She acts arrogantly, but part of it is insecure, and part of it is a genuine (if misguided) belief she's making the right choices for others. Part of her use of magic to 'fix things' is based in shame, but also in regret... because she is capable of human empathy.

Tara is far stronger than either Willow or Kennedy, given her moral center and character. In fact, given the stuff she's survived, I'm of the opinion that Tara is one of the strongest people in the entire series, the only stronger person is, IMO, Buffy, and I don't mean physical strength. Both Buffy and Tara survive major and repeated trauma and retain their humanity, their heart; and they also maintain their ability to make moral judgments and to act selflessly. To me, that is true strength.

Regarding the wish idea, I would have loved to get Tara back, either via a wish, or as a reward to Buffy for saving the world or something.

Spanky

Black Thorn
"she is extremely wilful and self-centered. She acts arrogantly, but part of it is insecure, and part of it is a genuine (if misguided) belief she's making the right choices for others."
That describes Kennedy perfectly.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
"she is extremely wilful and self-centered. She acts arrogantly, but part of it is insecure, and part of it is a genuine (if misguided) belief she's making the right choices for others."
That describes Kennedy perfectly.
Perhaps that's what makes her and Willow possible. Still, she lacks empathy and shows little moral or other courage. Just emotional brutality.

Top Bottom