• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

My Buffy book

Hi Everyone,

I hope I don't break any forum rules by posting this. But I wanted to share with other Buffy fans that I have published a book about Buffy & Angel. It is called:

Femininity & Masculinity: - A Reception study about the construction of gender in four relationships on the TV-series Buffy & Angel

The book is based on a thesis I wrote at the University in between 2003-2008. It was published last year.
It contains an academic approach to the tv-series and is partly based on interviews with fans who come from different shipper groups. B/A, B/S, C/A and W/T. Originally the plan was not to publish it as a book. But considering the hours I spent working on this, I thought why not share my findings with a wider audience, when I got the offer last year.

This is the description of the book:

"Pop culture hit shows Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997-2003) and its spin-off series Angel (1999-2004) were considered ground breaking TV when they first graced our screens. The TV-series quickly gained a cult following and the main character Buffy was hailed as a feminist icon that reversed gender stereotypes. But was the character really more male than female just because she was a girl who could fight?

This and more is explored in Femininity & Masculinity, which is a book about how gender is constructed in four relationships on the TV-series Buffy and Angel. The aim is to find out if the characters have a traditional gender construction, a hybrid or reversed one. This was done by conducting a semiotic text analysis and a qualitative interview study with 16 fans. The book also offers an in depth look at how the selected relationships are perceived by a particular group of fans, namely the shippers. The pairings chosen for the analysis are: Buffy & Angel, Willow & Tara, Buffy & Spike and Angel & Cordelia."

If anyone is interested in reading it you can find it on amazon by searching on my name Karin Schill.

It is a bit on the expensive side. But so is most academic literature.

My aim with this post is to inform of the book's existence. I am not saying anyone should buy it. That is up to you to decide if you think it sounds intersting to read or not.

Take care,
Best wishes:
Karin.

Black Thorn
That sounds like a really interesting book! If I had a need other than casual curiosity I would buy it, but damn it's pricey.

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
It does sound really really interesting, but it's a bit too expensive for me to justify buying. Why is it that price, if you don't mind me asking? Was it set by the publisher?

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
Sounds really interesting! Not available in Canada though, but by what others are saying, it would be outside of my budget anyway, so maybe that's a good thing. Less temptations that way.

Either way, you should be proud of yourself for publishing it!

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
Looks pretty good but the price scares me a bit . Maybe latter & thanks for letting me know .

Thank you everyone for your comments and interest in my book. :)

I agree with you that the prize is expensive. I tried to fight that with the publisher but unsuccessfully so, as the only way the prize could have dropped more was if I had bought more copies of my own book from them. I only bought five copies. That dumped the prize from approx. 80 dollars to 60 dollars!
To dump the prize as much as I would have liked though, I thought about 30-40 dollars would have been okayish, I would have needed to buy 25 books though and that was not an option. :(

cerocket

class protector
I love how much writing/analysis there is on Buffy. It really was a game-changer as far television content being included with literature and film as something worth studying.

Thanks for sharing!

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
Thank you everyone for your comments and interest in my book. :)

I agree with you that the prize is expensive. I tried to fight that with the publisher but unsuccessfully so, as the only way the prize could have dropped more was if I had bought more copies of my own book from them. I only bought five copies. That dumped the prize from approx. 80 dollars to 60 dollars!
To dump the prize as much as I would have liked though, I thought about 30-40 dollars would have been okayish, I would have needed to buy 25 books though and that was not an option. :(
You had to buy copies of your own book?! :eek:

My dream is to get some of my fiction works published one day - I had no idea that publishers made you buy copies of your own book to guarantee a price. It is because they need to guarantee a certain amount of sales? I honestly feel so sad for you that you had to do that Karin.

ChaseRules

Sineya
I'm a little confused here. Why did you have to buy copies of your books from them & why did it knock the price down.
And thanks for the information.

Black Thorn
I'm a little confused here. Why did you have to buy copies of your books from them & why did it knock the price down.
And thanks for the information.
The rules with online publishing are very different from traditional publishing. I worked in traditional publishing fields for my career (Jan M. Mike - 34 children's books) but online does offer some better opportunities. Hey - Fifty Shades of Grey started as a fanfic, was reworked, published online and found by a publishing company. It's a whole new world.

Spanky
Spanky
Anyone (literally) can publish anything online now. It's amazing and saddening at the same time.
white avenger
white avenger
So did "The Martian," and it made a helluva lot better movie than "Fifty Shades..." at leasy in my opinion.

ChaseRules

Sineya
Now that interesting . Thanks for clueing me in on that :D

But Man does not live by Bread alone . :cool:

bespangeled
bespangeled
They were flat fee - I don't get a penny. Of course I had some royalty books but I got 35 cents, so not a path to wealth.
Thank you all for your comments. :)

Cerocket, I agree there are tons and tons of research about Buffy.
One of the first things I did before I even started my study was read up on some previous research that I could find in the University library's online search catalogue and it was a lot.

Athena and ChaseRules, the publishing company offered me a chance to buy copies of my own book at a reduced prize. If I did they would drop the retail prize.
But well I had the option of not buying any copies of my book too. They would have published it either way. But since I had dreamt about publishing a book since I was a teenager I didn't want to pass up on the opportunity to have my own book in my bookshelf even if I had to pay a lot for it. So I figured five copies would be ok for me to buy. I gave the other copies to my family and well one to my teacher advisor who had guided me through the writing process. She was happy that I remembered her. :)

bespangeled, I am sure you can explain better than I can why me buying copies of my own book made the retail prize cheaper.
I am not that familiar with publishing.

Black Thorn
bespangeled, I am sure you can explain better than I can why me buying copies of my own book made the retail prize cheaper.
I am not that familiar with publishing.
No idea - always got one freebie. I will say I hated book signing though. In fact, most of the author life blows, IMO.

lol I didn't realize that you were an author when I read your first message. But that is great that you've gotten that many children's books published. You can feel proud over yourself. :)

I have never done a book signing, but I guess you are right that it must be pretty boring.

Black Thorn
lol I didn't realize that you were an author when I read your first message. But that is great that you've gotten that many children's books published. You can feel proud over yourself. :)

I have never done a book signing, but I guess you are right that it must be pretty boring.
Mostly I found them embarrassing - people walk by and look at you like you're a panhandler. The only thing I liked about the writing life was writing - and being able to get into conferences for free because I was a speaker. That part was fun.

I left writing and became a teacher - Montessori - and loved that!

ChaseRules

Sineya
I guess it would be good to have copies of your book. I know when I was in the Paper I brought a number of copies my self .
And your right there a lot out there . I got a number of Buffy books myself.

Thanks for sharing bespangeled. I'm glad you're enjoying your teaching job. :)

ChaseRules, which Buffy books do you have in your collection?

I have "Fighting the forces" and "Reading the vampire slayer" as well as a "The Watcher's guides" and "Angel casefiles" and well "Sunnydale High School Yearbook", as well as a couple of fictional books.

Sineya
Thanks for sharing bespangeled. I'm glad you're enjoying your teaching job. :)

ChaseRules, which Buffy books do you have in your collection?

I have "Fighting the forces" and "Reading the vampire slayer" as well as a "The Watcher's guides" and "Angel casefiles" and well "Sunnydale High School Yearbook", as well as a couple of fictional books.
Isn't it all fictional?

Top Bottom