• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Nathan Fillion as "The Rookie"

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
via Den of Geek

Nathan Fillion’s starring role as Captain Malcolm Reynolds on Fox’s ahead-of-its-time space/sci-fi/western series Firefly will likely be forever considered the elephant in the room that is his career. Yet, his 2009-2016 run – opposite Stana Katic – as the title star of ABC crime procedural Castle was, in actuality, the most prominent gig of his career. Now, a year and a half after that series came to a (controversially sloppy) close, Fillion has finalised a deal to return to ABC with a series called The Rookie.

ABC has emerged the winner in a competitive situation to acquire The Rookie, reports Deadline. With the network giving a straight-to-series order, Nathan Fillion will not only serve as star, but has also nabbed an executive producer slot. The series will be getting some of the Castle band back together, since the initial project was a collaborative reunion of sorts between Fillion and that show’s final executive producer, Alexi Hawley, who has also written the script. After spending seven years on Castle playing an eccentric author/police consultant, The Rookie will have Fillion actually emerge from the sidelines to put on a uniform to be a cop.

Based on a true story, the dramedy series will centre on John Nolan (Fillion), a forty-something man who makes a radical career turn that lands him as the oldest rookie in the LAPD. Having abandoned a comfortably tranquil small-town life, John decides to navigate an existence in Los Angeles, pursuing a dream that has nothing to do with showbiz, but as a rookie cop, working with uniformed peers who are generally twenty years younger than him, while facing all the bodily dangers and political pitfalls it brings.

The Rookie stands as Fillion’s first regular series role since the 2016 conclusion of Castle. He’s since had appearances on former Firefly co-star Alan Tudyk’s Vimeo series Con Man, a memorable guest turn on Netflix’s Santa Clarita Diet, reprised his recurring role on Modern Family and lent his voice to animated fantasy films Yamasong: March Of The Hollows and Cars 3. His producing partner, Hawley, got his first break as an associate producer on Castle, eventually working his way up to executive producer/showrunner. He’s also worked on Fox crime drama The Following and ABC forensic procedural Body Of Proof.

There’s no word yet on when we can expect the ABC series to arrive.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I'll give this one a pass. Too bad. Fillion really needs to be in something I care to watch.

Taake
Taake
I'm trying to branch out. You know, live a little. Try something new.

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
If it becomes available where I'm at, I'll probably give it a try. But, then again, toss the word "cop" in there and I'll probably give it at least a glance. Not sure I'll be into the dramedy of it, but, we'll see.

The Rookie stands as Fillion’s first regular series role since the 2016 conclusion of Castle.
Haha, I like that the phrasing kind of makes it sound as if he's been out of work for ages.

Spanky
Spanky
Colour me shocked! A cop show??!? You'll watch a cop show.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I'll definitely give it a shot because I love Nathan, but I'm not really a fan of 'cop shows'. Castle is one of my only exceptions, though, so who knows :)

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
@Taake then sit on a branch and watch the exorcist will ya? I got that one chick to watch it and she likes it. More people need to watch it. Some people have no idea there is even a TV series for it. Yet they consume and swear by that damn Stranger Things drivel. Don't swear by drivel, watch The Exorcist.

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
@Taake then sit on a branch and watch the exorcist will ya? I got that one chick to watch it and she likes it. More people need to watch it. Some people have no idea there is even a TV series for it. Yet they consume and swear by that damn Stranger Things drivel. Don't swear by drivel, watch The Exorcist.
I still haven't watched Stranger Things. Too many people swear by it.
I would watch the Exorcist, because the trailer looked cool, but it's not available for streaming from my service. Not sure I'm ready to sign up to Fox for one show.

Spanky
Spanky
You should. Seriously. If it were not free I would pay to watch it. Especially since you can binge the first season.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I wonder if the famously bad blood between Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic will poison his chances with the new series? It's easier now to see him as a villain than as a hero.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Wow, thanks for that trailer @Taake now I'm even more excited for the pilot release. I wasn't expecting it to be quite this serious, I figured it would be funny like Castle. I can't wait to see Nathan stretch his wings and show us what he can do outside of humor.

dstaraster

Townie
I’m a Nathan fan, so I was delighted to see him in the first episode of Santa Clarita Diet. But then...

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I'm still bitter that Nathan didn't get to play Hal Jordan in a 'Green Lantern' movie made especially for him.
*sigh* ah well, I'll check this out, I'll happily watch Nathan in anything.

Top Bottom