• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Update New (and improved) Board Chat Channel

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Though we are still investigating exactly what was happening with the last IRC channel, to put everyone's minds at ease I have registered us a new channel (actually on the IRC server I wanted to use in the first place). This one is run by someone I know and respect, who has a strict abuse policy, so I don't anticipate any further problems.

As always, if anything is going on on the board or on the channel that is making someone feel threatened or uncomfortable, please bring it to the attention of a staff member right away.

Connecting to the Chat

You will need an IRC client (program). I recommend:

mIRC - mIRC: Internet Relay Chat client

or

Ice Chat - IceChat IRC Client :: IRC Client Extra-Ordinaire :: The Chat Cool People Use

But you can use any client you wish.

You will have to input some information in order to connect to the server.

> irc.vbirc.com for the IRC server
> 6667 for the port (probably there already by default)
> Your nickname should be your username. You can put whatever you want for Full Name and email if your client asks you for it (they don't have to be real).
> The channel is [HASHTAG]#BuffyBoards[/HASHTAG] (you may have to type the following in the main window to join the channel: /join [HASHTAG]#BuffyBoards[/HASHTAG])

> To register your username, type the following once you have connected to the server:

/msg nickserv register password email

Where "password" is the password you wish to use and "email" is your email address.

Anyone who tries to use someone else's username or pretends to be another user in the chatroom will be banned from the board.

If you have a firewall like ZoneAlarm, you will have to set it to allow IRC (In ZoneAlarm, IM Security > Settings > Advanced > Uncheck Block IRC).

:)

F
Fake Shemp
IRC Karma
S
StuckinTraffic
Oooo, chat! Cool!
N
NightBird
Do you know of any that will run on MAC?
Friendly Lurker
Friendly Lurker
I have no idea when Nightbird left that comment but there are several IRC clients for Mac. Irssi for example.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
If you have problems using an IRC client program, you can connect to the server using the following website:

Mibbit.com Webchat

Just select "Other Server" from the drop down then enter irc.vbirc.com as the server name. Fill in your username, and the room name [HASHTAG]#BuffyBoards[/HASHTAG], then click Go...

Angelic Slayer
Angelic Slayer
Thanks, much easier on my brain and computer-- very helpful!

Lindsey McDonald

Spirit Boy
TK bothered me into making a step by step guide for someone, so I thought I might as well post it here to help anyone not on yet! :silly:

---

Ok, to get involved in the IRC chats, I would reccomend using IceChat. Not neccessarily becasue it's so much better, but cause I know how to use it! THIS IS A GUIDE FOR PCs! I don't know about Macs, so maybe someone else can add a section? So, here's what you do:

Follow this link, and click on the big Download button:

IceChat IRC Client

A dialogue box will pop up. Choose "Save File" then browse to you're desktop. Save the file there.

Open the installer that is on your desktop. Choose "Next" twice.

Specify a path for the program to be installed to if you wish, but I always leave it at the default. Click "Next".

It will ask you what components you want installed, I'd say take them all. Click "Next".

If you want a folder in your start menu (no reason why not), click "Next". If not, check the box.

Choose if you what a Desktop and Quick Launch button, then click "Next".

Finally, click "Install".

When it's done, click "Next", then "Finish".

Ok, so now you have the IRC client installed. All that remains is setting it up to get into the BuffyBoards channel.

Firstly, when you open up IceChat for the first time, it'll ask you to input a NickName. Enter your BuffyBoards username, with underscores instead of spaces. Note, that despite the fact it says there may be a nine letter limit, there isn't. Also, it's become fairly standard for people to add a prefix to their name to denote what house they are in. Add "D-" for Drogyn, "VH-" for Vahla ha'Nesh, "M-" for Merrick, and "R-" for Raiden.

When it asks for a Server, click in the box and type "irc.vbirc.com", and click the next arrow twice.

Now, IceChat will open. It may all be a bit overwhelming, but ignore everything it says. It's not important.

Click on "irc.vbirc.com" in the Favourite Servers tab, then click Connect at the bottom left.

A whole bunch of nonsense will pop up, just ignore it.

Now, click in the chat bar at the very bottom, and type "/join [HASHTAG]#BuffyBoards[/HASHTAG]"

You're into the channel, and can start chatting!

Now, that may be you in, but there's a lot you can do to improve the experience.

Firstly, we're going to make it so that IceChat automatically joins the BuffyBoards channel whenever you open it.

Click on "irc.vbirc.com" again. Then, click the "Edit Server" button to the bottom left (near connect).

A window will pop up. Leave the Basic settings as they are, and click on "Startup" Check the "Autoconnect on IceChat startup." box.

Next, choose the "Auto Join list" tab. Type "[HASHTAG]#BuffyBoards[/HASHTAG]" in the box at the top, then click "Add". Click "Save" to close the window.

Now every time you open IceChat, you'll be taken right to the BB chat.

One more thing, colours. Most people choose a colour for their text, and stick to it. This way, when a lot of people are online at once, it's easy to tell who's who at a glance.

Click "Options" at the top, choose "IceChat Editor...", then select the Scripts tab.
Copy the following, and paste it into the empty window.

Function OUTTEXT(OutGoingText)

Dim OutColor
OutColor = "40" 'change this number to the color number you want

if left(OutGoingText,1) <> "/" and left(outGoingText,1) <> "." then 'this is not a command or using a "." to not use colors
if left(OutGoingText,1) <> chr(3) then 'check if a color was already used, if not add one
OutGoingText = chr(3) & OutColor & OutGoingText
end if
end if
OutText = OutGoingText
End Function

Click "Save".

THIS NEXT STEP IS INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT! Make sure that you click the "Save As Type" dropdown, and choose "IceChat 5 Script (*.ice)". It MUST be a .ice file to work.

Now, if you are using Vista, save to the following filepath, insering your username:

C:\Users\*YOUR USERNAME*\AppData\Local\IceChat\Scripts

If you are using XP or earlier, save to this filepath:

C:\Documents and Settings\*YOUR USERNAME*\Application Data\IceChat\Scripts

Call it what you want, then click save. Now click "Save and Exit".

Your messages should now come up in an ugly orange. To choose a colour, click on the colour pallette in the very bottom left, and choose the colour you want. In the txt box, a number will pop up.

Go back into the IceChat Editor, and then the Scripts tab. Replace the number in the script with the number you want and click "Save and Exit".

Now all your messages will come up in whatever colour you want!

Just one more tip. Whenever you send a message, it will come up as "<Username> What you said". To send an action, i.e. "Username thanks Five by Five for his awesome guide", type "/me" before your message.

I hope this helped you get into the chat!

Five by Five

Airam
Airam
seriously impressive and helpful by the looks of it, thank you!
S
Spirit_Of_Fred
how very helpful! i wouldve been surprised if you DIDNT get 5 house points! :)
H
Harm
thanks, it got me pretty far, but everytime i say something it says "you are not connected to server" :\
Washburne
Washburne
Ehhh, sorry. Don´t know how I forgot to give you karma for this. But at least I now have more karmapoints to give away. Should count for something, right? ;)
D
DrusillaRox
Thanks dude! you rock!

Mesektet Ra

a walking insurrection.
Another client that I've found works awesome is ChatZilla. It's a Firefox extension - I'm not sure if it works with Firefox 3. I'm assuming it doesn't, but you never know.

To register your nick, go into the Tools menu in Firefox and click on the ChatZilla link. The program will open, and then click on the ChatZilla link there, and then click on Preferences. Under General there's a menu labeled 'Identification' where you can set your away message and the nickname you want to use most of the time, along with a description.

Under the Lists tab you can go to 'Nickname List' and list a couple more nicknames, just in case, for whatever reason, someone took your name. Which is a bad bad very bad thing to do, but I always list a couple extra names just in case.

Now, let's take into account I know next to nothing about IRC, so if I tried to help and failed miserably, I apologize.

Blondie Bear

Zydrate Addict
I followed all the instructions, but I keep getting the following error message:
Socket Error: 11004 : Valid name, no data record of requested type (Server)

Help?
[br][/br]
Edit:
[br][/br]
HA! I got on using Chatzilla. Thanks, MR!

L
Lindsey McDonald
maybe try checking you spelled the Server exactly as it is in Buffy's post? I dunno, sorry.
Washburne
Washburne
You´re really sure you want to get in? ;) Be warned.

Brian